• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Inuyashiki's Trump Cameo Sure Isn't Flattering

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Aquamine-Amarine wrote:
Post Removed.
and, pray tell, what kind of news should be expected on a site called Anime News Network? they're posting news... about anime... exactly like it says on the tin.

and it's not even attempting to be Big Serious Journalism, just news about anime, with this explicitly labeled an interest piece and they're simply stating that Trump had a very non-flattering cameo in that episode without even adding their own take on Trump to it.

seriously, if you think anime news is crap why are you even here? if you can't stand any criticism of Trump why not just stick to Faux News?
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:17 pm Reply with quote
If only they could've made fun of President H. Clinton. Only they can't, because she lost.

But you can still buy her book.
jirg1901

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Jose Cruz wrote:
Well, thing is it is really good material for comedy that the US, the leader of the western democratic world, elected as a president, a clown. Its a very important historical fact: before 2017 the world's most powerful military power never had a clown as their top leader. So I guess it's natural that a lot of comedy material can be made out of it.

This is what it's like to be too young to remember fictional portrayals of previous presidents. Tricky Dicky and Slick Willy were hardly nicknames given out of respect.
Aquaregia99

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:26 pm Reply with quote
To be fair... this is quite a bit more tame than what POTUS actually says and does.
GainaxFanboy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:27 pm Reply with quote
jirg1901 wrote:
Jose Cruz wrote:
Well, thing is it is really good material for comedy that the US, the leader of the western democratic world, elected as a president, a clown. Its a very important historical fact: before 2017 the world's most powerful military power never had a clown as their top leader. So I guess it's natural that a lot of comedy material can be made out of it.

This is what it's like to be too young to remember fictional portrayals of previous presidents. Tricky Dicky and Slick Willy were hardly nicknames given out of respect.

Than by tradition Donald Trump should be named :Scrawny Donny Or Plump Dumb Trump
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:38 pm Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:
I'm pretty sure Trump would actually be pretty happy with this depiction. "You're goddamn right I'd be frank if an asteroid was heading towards the Earth!" Laughing

That's why people voted for him, he gets straight to the point and doesn't sugar coat words. Still trying to figure out how this is some "epic owned!" of Trump though. Supposed end of the world and he declares anarchy and freedom to live in sin for the last moments? Not seein' the issue here... Is the angle the article trying to say something like "Hahaha, look at how he doesn't have humility and acts all badass and confident!". If so, uh, okay then...
Funnily enough, when Trump visited Japan he had huge support there and Japanese sites berated the American coverage of him (specifically editing footage of the koi fish feeding thing) More funny was the anti-Trump protesters in Japan were all foreigners. Somethin' really surreal seeing white people in Japan holding a BlackLivesMatter signs. Stuff like that is why expats have such a terrible reputation in Japan.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
That's why people voted for him, he gets straight to the point and doesn't sugar coat words. Still trying to figure out how this is some "epic owned!" of Trump though. Supposed end of the world and he declares anarchy and freedom to live in sin for the last moments? Not seein' the issue here... Is the angle the article trying to say something like "Hahaha, look at how he doesn't have humility and acts all badass and confident!". If so, uh, okay then...

Well I think it was more about not encouraging crime and chaos in case spoiler[everyone doesn't die], which is particularly concerning from someone who positioned themselves as the law and order candidate, and also showing utter disdain for everyone else, including the citizens of the country he is leading. I'd think the latter at least would be concerning to people who voted for him.
danpmss

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Trump's discourse in the manga was just ridiculous and broke my suspension of disbelief so hard (although anyone could say the whole final act as a whole was just terrible and rushed besides the spoiler[meteor] thing being foreshadowed chapters earlier). The anime at least toned it down, but it still felt as much of a political bias thing being presented in a work that really didn't need any.

And I'm saying that while I hate Trump myself, it's just unnecessarily stupid and silly of a thing to input in the very last chapters of your manga just because whatever, I guess. This series went from a potential 9 to a 6,5-7/10 in 10 or so chapters of the very end of it.

The story ending with spoiler[Hiiro saying goodbye in tears to his friend and getting out from his house ] would already be more satisfying than that. Gantz's author just sucks so much at writing endings to absolutely awesome stories, it's just a huge shame.
animefan1238

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:13 pm Reply with quote
I shall use a quote from the legendary Mel Brooks about using humor when making The Producers:
"But if you can ridicule him and make people laugh, then you win. It’s as simple as that.”

Anyway, it is interesting to see how other forms of media view our president. It will be interesting to see if he does go out the door how that would be portrayed as. I am sure there arther countries who in their own way make fun of the president.
Ashabel

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:21 pm Reply with quote
danpmss wrote:
Gantz's author just sucks so much at writing endings to absolutely awesome stories, it's just a huge shame.

The author didn't actually call the shots on where to end this one. Inuyashiki sold very poorly in Japan and while the author worded it as "looking into finishing the series early," it was pretty obvious that it was more or less canceled.

Not necessarily saying that the ending would have been better if the series was allowed to run its course, but it's still worth mentioning.
danpmss

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Ashabel wrote:
danpmss wrote:
Gantz's author just sucks so much at writing endings to absolutely awesome stories, it's just a huge shame.

The author didn't actually call the shots on where to end this one. Inuyashiki sold very poorly in Japan and while the author worded it as "looking into finishing the series early," it was pretty obvious that it was more or less canceled.

Not necessarily saying that the ending would have been better if the series was allowed to run its course, but it's still worth mentioning.

That's interesting to know. I guess Inuyashiki probably had potential to be the only series he wouldn't end poorly, if that was the case (and he wrote quite a bit of stuff). Gantz ending in particular just seemed like he dropped the manga as a whole out of nowhere by finishing some important fight.

I wonder if any of that has to do with his complainings about liberties in a magazine that he talked about in some interviews already (which almost always he makes after finishing a work, and starting another in a different magazine).

Maybe he DOES just actually drops his manga making up a rushed ending because of editorial problems. I would love to hear from him one day about that, it would explain a lot.
bones2039

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:36 pm Reply with quote
President Trump is a loud mouth, egotistical blowhard that invites a lot of the mockery he gets. He isn't the first US President to appear in anime/manga and he won't be the last. This is nothing to get worked up about honestly. Trump isn't good but had the voters gone the other way we would still have a narcissist for a president. The US had no actually decent canidate to vote for from the major parties. We were doomed no matter if you liked team red or blue. I voted for the guy that came across as a stoner over either of those two idiots.

This is anime news. Its fine it's on ANN. I can see why some will feel this pushes a particular political ideology but that really doesn't mean it doesn't deserve coverage. If you can prove that there is news of something anime related mocking the "other side" that ANN refuses to cover you might have a point, but until then you are just trying to look for a reason to be offended.
danpmss

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Usagi-kun wrote:
I'm seeing a lot of brand new accounts created just to protest this satirical caricature with angry comments offering no argument or reasoning for their justification.

YOU are the problem with the media, offering only sensationalist, emotionally charged hate-speech without any real basis, facts, or explanations.

This is not how adult conversation works.

But I guess free speech and opinions don't for the reverse either, huh? You are not 'laughing at' anyone. You are weak and scared of having your view of the world contested, amounted to anything less than the gospel of the mouthpiece for your insecurity. That is very special. You are the triggered snowflakes.

Gain some experience and common sense before you attempt to label and characterize the problems of the world. Turn off your spellchecker, organize your thoughts, and solve these problems yourselves without the use of soundbites, labels, or hiding behind a hive mind of people just as special as you.

Only when you earn my respect will you be able to raise any emotional response for me. Do I sound angry? I am not. I will not even remember your usernames longer than the amount of time it takes to hit the submit button for this thread. Very Happy

I don't really see many, I only see one (or maybe two, if you count the griffith guy, which I suspect that would be the very same person) troll with recently created account talking bs, and old users like myself (although I only began participating in the forum some years ago, I'm a person following the site activity since 2007 or 2008) giving proper arguments about it.

Last edited by danpmss on Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
bones2039

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:44 pm Reply with quote
People should just ignore the trolls. Responding to them only gives them more power.
Emma Iveli

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Man... this is a crazy last few days for nerdom... first that thing going on with The Last Jedi and now this joke in an anime that's making everyone go crazy on this site.

Just three more years... just three more years...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6