• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Inuyashiki's Trump Cameo Sure Isn't Flattering

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Ashabel wrote:
The author didn't actually call the shots on where to end this one. Inuyashiki sold very poorly in Japan and while the author worded it as "looking into finishing the series early," it was pretty obvious that it was more or less canceled.

Not necessarily saying that the ending would have been better if the series was allowed to run its course, but it's still worth mentioning.

Not true. Oku said very early on that Inuyashiki would run for 10 volumes, when the series was still up to volume 3. It's also mentioned in this interview that that was his plan from the start.

Last edited by Zhou-BR on Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:39 pm; edited 2 times in total
Deacon Blues

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:32 pm Reply with quote
I don't think the subs accurately convey his horrendous speaking style. I'd need to hear the Japanese to give a better spin on it though. Then again, English to Japanese translators cringe whenever he opens his mouth because it makes translating what he says extremely difficult due to yammerings and jibberish.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:48 pm Reply with quote
bones2039 wrote:
People should just ignore the trolls. Responding to them only gives them more power.

Bingo. Next time just report the trolls, don't feed them and make things worse. So after some very cathartic cleanup the various troll posts and most responses to them are gone. Enjoy.
ryanvamp

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:49 pm Reply with quote
I couldn't care less about all the Trump hate, left vs right and the current US political climate; what I do find interesting is that people here said the manga goes to shit in the last 15 chapters. That is indeed a real shame because I was really enjoying the series up until episode 10. This is the one thing that always makes me doubtful of starting a new series instead of waiting for reviews when it's already finished: mangaka more often than not do very weak endings because the whole publishing system is based on "you'll only end it when we tell you to...and abruptly, because it will be determined by sales and not quality".

But then I remember a lot of works considered "average" I found myself enjoying quite more than some that have a high rating, particularly on ANN. Oh well, just venting some frustration.
Yazu13

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:07 pm Reply with quote
We'll never live down Trump.
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:23 pm Reply with quote
ryanvamp wrote:
I couldn't care less about all the Trump hate, left vs right and the current US political climate; what I do find interesting is that people here said the manga goes to shit in the last 15 chapters. That is indeed a real shame because I was really enjoying the series up until episode 10. This is the one thing that always makes me doubtful of starting a new series instead of waiting for reviews when it's already finished: mangaka more often than not do very weak endings because the whole publishing system is based on "you'll only end it when we tell you to...and abruptly, because it will be determined by sales and not quality".

But then I remember a lot of works considered "average" I found myself enjoying quite more than some that have a high rating, particularly on ANN. Oh well, just venting some frustration.

I personally thought the ending was decent. From what I was hearing. I expected a lot worse. Yeah it felt rushed, but It's certainly not the disaster some people make it out to be.
relyat08

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:27 am Reply with quote
Zhou-BR wrote:

Not true. Oku said very early on that Inuyashiki would run for 10 volumes, when the series was still up to volume 3. It's also mentioned in this interview that that was his plan from the start.

Was the anime intended to be a full adaptation then? I feel like the last few episodes have been extremely truncated and the pacing is super out of wack. It also feels like there is a much bigger story to tell, so it's a shame if this is all he planned to do.
I haven't enjoyed it much myself though(a bit too mean-spirited for me, almost surprised Oku isn't a fan of Trump given his proclivities), so I guess I don't care too much...
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:41 am Reply with quote
danpmss wrote:
Trump's discourse in the manga was just ridiculous and broke my suspension of disbelief so hard

Trump's appearance in the manga broke your disbelief? The manga is over-the-top from the get-go. I found Trump's appearance a more realistic aspect of a manga that starts with spoiler[aliens rebuilding two people into armed war robots and then disappearing]. The whole story is Mars Attacks! level of camp, with only the emotions of certain characters to be taken the least bit seriously. I could see any president being depicted saying the same thing in its context. The only thing the anime got wrong was not getting a better Trump voice impersonator! Hopefully, the dub will fix that..
Heishi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:13 am Reply with quote
Carl Benjamin, Steven Crowder, and Dave Rubin aren't gonna be happy.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:14 am Reply with quote
animefan1238 wrote:
I shall use a quote from the legendary Mel Brooks about using humor when making The Producers:
"But if you can ridicule him and make people laugh, then you win. It’s as simple as that.”

Anyway, it is interesting to see how other forms of media view our president. It will be interesting to see if he does go out the door how that would be portrayed as. I am sure there arther countries who in their own way make fun of the president.

Mel Brooks is freaking awesome.

Anyway, this is pretty ridiculous, but so is the series. Furthermore, if anything this is playing things down. At least he can say something coherently in this. Sort of
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:21 am Reply with quote
People are just angry these days. More so than ever. It's why I like to keep myself free from the politics that poison the minds of the Faux News Rush Limbaugh Alt right and the Fake News CNN Snowflake left. Trump has given all media industries more than enough ammo and material to talk about him, and knowing the man and his never quest for attention, I think some of you should just take it with a grain of salt. It's relevant for the news provided by this website which caters to providing news for anime. Whether you like it or not. Don't like it? Don't read it. You're not going to get anything different elsewhere. And I identify as a conservative who is well aware of the mostly liberal political leanings of the staff on this website.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
danpmss

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:23 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
danpmss wrote:
Trump's discourse in the manga was just ridiculous and broke my suspension of disbelief so hard

Trump's appearance in the manga broke your disbelief? The manga is over-the-top from the get-go. I found Trump's appearance a more realistic aspect of a manga that starts with spoiler[aliens rebuilding two people into armed war robots and then disappearing]. The whole story is Mars Attacks! level of camp, with only the emotions of certain characters to be taken the least bit seriously. I could see any president being depicted saying the same thing in its context. The only thing the anime got wrong was not getting a better Trump voice impersonator! Hopefully, the dub will fix that..

Don't get me wrong, but after Gantz's absolutely crazy ride with alien stuff, anything in Inuyashiki could be seen as realistic as it could possibly be in comparison, coming from the same author. Even the ridiculously over-the-top spoiler[cybernetic massacre via cellphones in the city] was acceptable enough overall, and of course, the whole thing was entertaining as heck to watch and read (spoiler[abnormally overpowered godtier alien technology launching a hopeless attack towards humanity while its good counterpart tries to figure out what could it do against it], that was just an thrilling ride all the way through with breathtaking action sequences with good tension in the presentation).

Now, getting political so obviously political out of nowhere (it just feels like mockery and bias, regardless if that was intended or not by the author, which I'm pretty sure it was given he went as far as putting Trump's face as the President of the US, and that's one big no-no to me), when the manga literally had nothing to do with any kind of that stuff up to that point (any political thing before that scene were spoiler[some few lines of foreshadowing for the meteor deal and some minor things about Hiiro's massacre and why it was obviously unforgivable to the point of the US saying it would declare him a national threat to be dealt with since as we know, the US ever since WW2 is responsible for Japan's actual military power ever since demilitarization, and it wasn't even anything anyone would consider a big deal, just a normal realistic setup to the plot]), 'that' is something that breaks my immersion in a fundamental level.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:32 am Reply with quote
I feel the need to point out there are many anti-Americans in Japan in general. And since Trump is the current President, he'll be the caricature for any anti-American sentimate for the next 4-8 years, much like Obama was before him. In this case, America has a notorious reputation of crime and violence in Japan. If this was a political statement of any kind, I would say it was that, and whoever else might have been president would have replaced Trump. I personally didn't see this as a statement on Trump himself, just how America is perceived.

My advice for both anti and pro-Trump people, don't attribute to Trump what can easilly be attributed to Japan's view on America in general. Honestly, Trump seems to be more well recieved than Obama was in Japan overall. As it was mentioned earlier, Trump's visit prompted about a hundred foreigners to protest. Obama's previous visit saw tens of thousands of native Japanese protesting his visit. But those are just my observations. I think Trump's stance on Korea earns him a lot of points there.

-Stuart Smith
danpmss

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:59 am Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
. If this was a political statement of any kind, I would say it was that, and whoever else might have been president would have replaced Trump. I personally didn't see this as a statement on Trump himself, just how America is perceived.

Trump is known for making quite polemical decisions in some pretty controversial ways as a President, and I agree that much of the criticism he gets, he had coming for him from the start. Yet again, I'm not a big fan of the guy.

But I highly doubt a random chapter of a manga with nothing to do with politics come and show a president exactly like Trump saying to everyone spoiler["screw everyone of you guys, from this moment on, rape, murder and any crazy shit like that is legal, bye"] and not mean something by doing so. And of course, I also highly doubt said discourse would apply to any so to be current President other than himself (I can hardly imagine the author doing the same scene for Hillary Clinton instead, for example. Can you?)

I think you are taking it too lightly since the anime toned it down so much. That scene was just dumb in all levels, it's offensive even for a non-supporter like myself.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:39 am Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
Was the anime intended to be a full adaptation then? I feel like the last few episodes have been extremely truncated and the pacing is super out of wack. It also feels like there is a much bigger story to tell, so it's a shame if this is all he planned to do.
I haven't enjoyed it much myself though(a bit too mean-spirited for me, almost surprised Oku isn't a fan of Trump given his proclivities), so I guess I don't care too much...

I'd say the fault for that rests on director Keiichi Sato's and scriptwriter Hiroshi Seko's shoulders. Knowing the show was slated to be just 11 episodes long, they shouldn't have made slow-paced episodes that only covered 4-5 episodes each. If it weren't for that, the anime wouldn't have had to rush through 3 and a half volumes' worth of content in the last two episodes.

To be honest, I thought the rushed pacing worked for the tenth episode, since most of it was spoiler[an extended Inuyashiki/Shishigami fight scene], but the finale felt awkward. The show really needed a 12th episode, or at least an extended cut of the finale that included some manga scenes that got cut for time like spoiler[Trump mentioning the Shishigami threat, Inuyashiki finding the hole that the America-led alliance had dug in the asteroid in a failed attempt at blowing it up, and his son Takeshi standing up to the bullies at the end].

Last edited by Zhou-BR on Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6