• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Inuyashiki's Trump Cameo Sure Isn't Flattering

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wrangler

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:02 am Reply with quote
Wow, that's big flame. Hope Trump doesn't put legal attacks at the anime.

I think it is funny parody of him, frankly i can see him on a roll saying something similar to it if he trying to do his never-ending election bid for his next 4 years.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:25 am Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:

Well I think it was more about not encouraging crime and chaos in case spoiler[everyone doesn't die], which is particularly concerning from someone who positioned themselves as the law and order candidate and also showing utter disdain for everyone else, including the citizens of the country he is leading. I'd think the latter at least would be concerning to people who voted for him.

I just treat it like the Purge or something. Hey, if you had 24 hours to live, who wouldnt do tons of illegal stuff since there'd be no consequences. Since Trump is supposed to be the everyman candidate, he'd know what the people were gonna do anyway. Harrowing? Nah, more like honest. Still think it's weak examp!e of 'unflattering Trump portrayal'
yuna49

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:03 am Reply with quote
American Presidents and administrations have been targeted in other manga and anime. In particular, George W. Bush appears as an ineffectual doofus in The Legend of Koizumi, sleeping with the shoe thrown at him in Iraq.

In Blood+ his Administration is seen collaborating with monsters. Stand-ins for Condolezza Rice and Donald Rumsfeld appear in a couple of scenes. That show in particular has a large dose of anti-Americanism because of its setting in Okinawa.
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:41 am Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
I just treat it like the Purge or something. Hey, if you had 24 hours to live, who wouldnt do tons of illegal stuff since there'd be no consequences.

If the only thing keeping you from acting like a monster is the fear of consequences, it says a lot about your character, or lack thereof.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:

I just treat it like the Purge or something. Hey, if you had 24 hours to live, who wouldnt do tons of illegal stuff since there'd be no consequences.

See spoiler or the episode in qustion if you haven't already.

Lord Oink wrote:
Since Trump is supposed to be the everyman candidate, he'd know what the people were gonna do anyway. Harrowing? Nah, more like honest. Still think it's weak examp!e of 'unflattering Trump portrayal'

But the leader of the country is expected to at the very least not encourage acts of violence and crime, even if those acts are likely to occur anyways, especially one who wants to be considered the law and order candidate. Would you still think it wasn't an unflattering portrayal if it were, say, the previous president saying it?
ZeArNkN

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:37 pm Reply with quote
What constitutes trolling on ANN if I may ask? I think some people were just giving their honest opinion, and if they were being respectful about it they shouldn't be banned for their unpopular views.
relyat08

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:

I just treat it like the Purge or something. Hey, if you had 24 hours to live, who wouldnt do tons of illegal stuff since there'd be no consequences. Since Trump is supposed to be the everyman candidate, he'd know what the people were gonna do anyway. Harrowing? Nah, more like honest. Still think it's weak examp!e of 'unflattering Trump portrayal'

I'm sad that that's how many people think, to be honest. If I had 24 hours to live I would take the most expensive trip I could and enjoy my last hours on Earth in peace. I think it's incredibly nihilistic and misanthropic to think that everyone would just do terrible things to each other. Maybe that would happen, but I refuse to believe that humans are so gross.
Bonham

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
My advice for both anti and pro-Trump people, don't attribute to Trump what can easilly be attributed to Japan's view on America in general. Honestly, Trump seems to be more well recieved than Obama was in Japan overall. As it was mentioned earlier, Trump's visit prompted about a hundred foreigners to protest. Obama's previous visit saw tens of thousands of native Japanese protesting his visit. But those are just my observations. I think Trump's stance on Korea earns him a lot of points there.

Yeah, and your observations are hilariously wrong (and also uninformed at best or grossly misleading at worst re:the rationale for the Japanese people protesting Obama's visit). Polling data in Japan shows that it has had a severe collapse with trust in and support from the United States, with its lowest in nine years (2008). This Japan Times article covers the numbers, with this one in particular cutting directly against your claims:

The Japan Times wrote:
]The poll, carried out by the Washington-based Pew Research Center, showed that 57 percent of Japanese see the U.S. in a favorable light, down from 72 percent in the previous poll, conducted last year, and the biggest year-on-year decline in a decade. This is the lowest figure since 2008, when 50 percent said they had a favorable view of the U.S.

The survey found that 24 percent expressed confidence in Trump doing the right thing regarding world affairs, down from 78 percent in 2016 who had confidence in his predecessor, Barack Obama.

As for your claims that there has always been a consistent anti-American sentiment produced with all American presidents, I'm also gonna cast skepticism against that, given the generally passive or positive portrayals of Obama in things like Air Gear, Yokai Watch, etc. The Trump cameos, on the other hand, have been consistently negative in their characterizations of him, which is largely reflective of how Japan and the world at large view him.

Wrangler wrote:
Wow, that's big flame. Hope Trump doesn't put legal attacks at the anime.

Something like this wouldn't even fly on his radar. And even if it did, political parody is, like, so obscenely common and protected in the U.S. that nothing would happen.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:21 pm Reply with quote
To be fair, this guy's real life cameos aren't very flattering.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Bonham wrote:
Polling data in Japan shows

Polls are merely one avenue. And given how the election went down, one would think people would have become more skeptical of polls.

Quote:
As for your claims that there has always been a consistent anti-American sentiment produced with all American presidents, I'm also gonna cast skepticism against that, given the generally passive or positive portrayals of Obama in things like Air Gear, Yokai Watch, etc. The Trump cameos, on the other hand, have been consistently negative in their characterizations of him, which is largely reflective of how Japan and the world at large view him.

If all you know comes from what ANN reports, than I could forgive you for thinking that. Trump has also had a number of passive or positive portayals in manga and anime, like Time Boukan 24 or PriPara. They just never get reported here, for obvious reasons.

-Stuart Smith
Terrible90sDub

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:23 pm Reply with quote
^ The majority of respected polling data from the presidential election was either right on the money or within the margin of error of the popular vote. They can't as easily poll for the electoral college. Before anyone mentions prediction odds, that's different from polling and varied widely from site to site.

Trump actively attacked Japan during the primary, so it shouldn't be too shocking that he's not well liked there. Although, Trump is easily manipulated with a fragile ego, so he eased up on that "Japan is ripping us off!" rhetoric after Japanese PM Abe gave him a golden golf club and praised him a little.
Bonham

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
Bonham wrote:
Polling data in Japan shows

Polls are merely one avenue. And given how the election went down, one would think people would have become more skeptical of polls.

Terrible90sDub wrote:
^ The majority of respected polling data from the presidential election was either right on the money or within the margin of error of the popular vote. They can't as easily poll for the electoral college. Before anyone mentions prediction odds, that's different from polling and varied widely from site to site.

Seriously. You're dismissing a poll based on clearly partisan and intellectually dishonest grounds. That's so lazy, and indicative of an inability to properly assess and interpret the data. On top of that, polling data throughout Japan and the rest of the world show that Trump and the U.S. are largely viewed in a negative light compared to the previous eight years. You can support him and/or your own identity politics without denying facts, y'know.

Quote:
If all you know comes from what ANN reports, than I could forgive you for thinking that. Trump has also had a number of passive or positive portayals in manga and anime, like Time Boukan 24 or PriPara. They just never get reported here, for obvious reasons.

Exceptions do not disprove a trend.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Bonham wrote:
Seriously. You're dismissing a poll based on clearly partisan and intellectually dishonest grounds. That's so lazy, and indicative of an inability to properly assess and interpret the data. On top of that, polling data throughout Japan and the rest of the world show that Trump and the U.S. are largely viewed in a negative light compared to the previous eight years. You can support him and/or your own identity politics without denying facts, y'know.

You can stand solely by polls if you want. I prefer putting faces and experiences to views. I'll stand by the first hand experience I've seen and heard in Japan, and what my collegues say. It's just very telling when the anti-Trump protest in Japan was made up of Americans. If you want to see anti-American sentiment first hand, I suggust staying in Okinawa for your next visit.

A poll of a general view of America can't reflect how a person feels about Americans in Japan, or if they want to visit America.

Quote:
Exceptions do not disprove a trend.

When the 'exceptions' outweigh a trend, then they become the new trend, as it turns out. I merely named two examples off the top of my head. There are plenty others, but I suspect it will always be the 'exception' in your eyes no matter how many I list.

-Stuart Smith
Top Gun

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:

You can stand solely by polls if you want. I prefer putting faces and experiences to views. I'll stand by the first hand experience I've seen and heard in Japan, and what my collegues say.

Anecdotes are not evidence.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:56 pm Reply with quote
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics" -- Mark Twain, et al.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6