• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Girls' Last Tour (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:58 am Reply with quote
Well episode nine...What a wonderful adaption the anime continues to be.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:10 am Reply with quote
Episode 9 kind of felt like the most depressing of the show, because despite it possibly being the most alive with working machinery, it was all the more about an impending end for their lives and or world. Like the story of the robot and fish might as well have been about our two heroines.
#Verso.Sciolto

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:19 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Episode 9 kind of felt like the most depressing of the show, because despite it possibly being the most alive with working machinery, it was all the more about an impending end for their lives and or world. Like the story of the robot and fish might as well have been about our two heroines.
I'm quite certain it was. Mortality applies to them and the seeming futility of their existence and journey is always at the core of everything that happens to them, I think.

Episode 10.

I'm really enjoying how their personalities remain solidly individual. Enjoying that heir world views continue to be at odds with each other in almost exactly the same way as before - and yet they're quite clearly also oddly in balance - harmonious where their differences could so easily create conflict if they didn't appreciate each other so much - as a unit - almost as a single existence in two people.

How will this new entity with potentially a more permanent presence in their company - more so than any of the other creatures they've encountered so far but ultimately left behind again - fit into that dynamic as they move on together?

They would have been quite content to leave this mysterious life form behind as well - soon after its discovery- but that made it perhaps even more obvious that leaving each other and going separate ways has never been seriously considered by either one of these two young women.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:59 am Reply with quote
An animal found means that there should be food, there hopefully means that some sort of ecosystem is going on. Also, the strange animal rather than looking like a cat, unless super deformed, it kind of looks like the statues that the people before worshiped.
#Verso.Sciolto

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:57 am Reply with quote
...a bit impulsive ... some questions answered raise new ones, rephrase existing ones...
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:41 am Reply with quote
The "cut" is sure earning its place in the show an added member of the cast. I love the words it learned and how Chi responds that it is sounding like Yuu, especially how it seems to enjoy food, like it its extended attempt to eat the larger bullet.

We found out about technology like that mech with ginormous firepower, but the end put something more interesting. The submarine they found themselves in seems to be nuclear powered and has nuclear rockets, which is kind of the first we had heard of such technology, and perhaps hinting that about what happened in the past. The submarine was at their current level, which would argue that it would be sea level, especially if other countries are involved as somewhat hinted. Although we did have the plain planning to go over the ocean earlier. Otherwise thinking about what was probably obvious, but the more subteranian levels may have been more manufacturing, the technology seems to get more advanced as they head up higher.

The animal things are connected to the statue of deities or something, and they have the trait where they can eat bullets, which Chi suspects is the gunpowder, and even fuel.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:02 am Reply with quote
@DuskyPredator

Sir and or madam, "cut" is an example of just lazy subs.

The creature calls itself nuko,slang term cat,kat,kitteh or the like..

"cut"...now English speaking audiences think the creature is named "cut",very poor handling on the part of the translators.

Last edited by Nordhmmer on Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:23 am Reply with quote
@DuskyPredator

Would argue that a semi-autonomous giant robot,capable of using multiple weapon&senor devices(including a mini-Death Star laser)s far more advanced than a run-of-the-mill
SSBN.

Remember one of the basic premises of the setting is the ancient civilization ran out of living space.Since starting their tour the girls have been going up to the next level of the same mega-metropolis.

(Could interpret each level as a suburb/city but the girls have been going up this entire time,at this point they are far,far,far above what sea level would be in reality.)
#Verso.Sciolto

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:54 am Reply with quote
... just humming along...

[very late edit - February 4, 2018]

... just humming along ... with the cadence of the kettenkrad and the two -in tune- young women it carries.

Last edited by #Verso.Sciolto on Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:04 am Reply with quote
#Verso.Sciolto wrote:
... just humming along...

"just humming along"-to the mighty morphing dough-weasel mushroom folks.Recycling the organic and inorganic coming soon to a planet near you.

My only gripe is the adaption outright mentioning of Japan,preferred the more ambiguous world setting approach of the manga.

Well this should also answer the question some folks posed about what happens to dead bodies,as well what's the deal with the statues.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

For a post apocalyptic show that just doubled down on the heroines possibly being the last humans left alive, I don't even know how one would normally think but it usually not this. It did not feel like a total downer. It kind of had a send-off to human history, the good and the bad. I think cool reveal that indeed there is a reason that no bodies were found in places, and it was that the mushroom things were kind of cleaning it up it all, including the specifics like eating the nuclear weapons. Cleaning the planet so eventually it could go again after everything was gone.

There are ambiguous parts, like apparently the setting of Japan caused trouble at parts in declaring war, and times after communication between the different cities and layers went down which caused the last burst of conflict that really ended it. The mushrooms seemed to not be bad guys in killing others, like being peaceful, but I can't cross out that maybe they caused some of it. Was there any significance to a bit about easy replication of machinery? I do think one especially sad reveal was that how these girls' journey started was their grandfather sneaking them out of the city that they might have a chance away from what society they had left, him most likely soon to die himself.

I liked this. A slow cool burn, that used a post apocalyptic setting to really make you appreciate the little things, ponder on various things about being a human, and what it can mean simply to live. The fact it rarely did anything overly grandiose was kind of how in turn it kind of made itself something special. An utter confidence in how just doing its thing could actually reach audience with showing a landscape and having these two characters talk about a wide variety of things. I would not go as far to say it was the best of the season, but it certainly did something special and in the end is certainly worth praise, that is if you are not the type to see two people randomly travel around and talk about whatever as being boring. It is not an action show, it is a think piece, one that takes even I think the shows that use moe design to hone in on horror, that it really uses its design on a form of melancholy, with you could read bits of horror underneath, but not that this needs to rely on being so edgy.

I give a rating of Very good (8/10), is one of the shows that should not be missed by those with an interest with different things anime can pull off.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:27 am Reply with quote
I liked the general emptiness of the show, which is why I found the "explanations" to be kind of unnecessary baggage. It didn't really matter what caused things, or where the endpoint was, or what's eating the nukes (which didn't make much sense, just considering how much weaponry the girls had found. Did the mushroom things really just start and finish in the tiny amount of time we've seen the show running? Are plane lady and picture guy dead already?). For that matter, the inclusion of the grandfather made little sense, as if they were as old as they were when sent off, they wouldn't be as ignorant about the things they didn't understand, which was an important part of what made the show beautiful.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2