• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Blend S (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sunny milk

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
It's a shame that Sunny Milk was too blinded by Kaho's chest to appreciate how sensual the shots of Mafuyu napping were.

She didn't get a single service shot, and on purpose.
But then again, anime is basically like this, so it's nothing new. It was just pretty clear compared to the usual too.
And yes, that is the message, it might bother you, or you might like it, but there was no question about it.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Your definition of "service" is far too narrow. Is nudity really the only thing that does it for you? Do you really look at Mafuyu's sleeping figure, hear her little moan and feel nothing?

DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:56 am Reply with quote
A little word of advice Sunny milk, some things you say can really come across as creepy. There is better ways to at least word things to not make people feel uncomfortable.

Mafuyu is still best girl. I think the best bits are that she seems to have a total confidence in herself regardless of how she looks, and likes what she does.

I think all us inside kids could feel a strange sense when most of the group admitted to being as such, having devices on them. Although in my case a barbecue doesn't count. And as an Aussie, I can't see something being an actual barbie unless some snags are thrown on, and then placed on a slice of bread, other countries are weird. Great, now I am hungry.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:55 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
And as an Aussie, I can't see something being an actual barbie unless some snags are thrown on, and then placed on a slice of bread

You mean shrimp, right? Wink
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:12 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
DuskyPredator wrote:
And as an Aussie, I can't see something being an actual barbie unless some snags are thrown on, and then placed on a slice of bread

You mean shrimp, right? Wink

I will kick anyone who assumes Australians call them shrimp rather than prawns. And against the expectations, and in my experience rarely actually cook them on a barbecue, instead boiled and served cold, and especially for something like a Christmas lunch.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:31 am Reply with quote
@DuskyPredator

I think the primary question is what is a "snag"?

I'm not sure what the Japanese word used was, but in the context of the show, the translator was clearly talking about the method of cooking not the items cooked. Living inland here, I've never seen anyone grill any form of seafood.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:

Sausage. Geez, does no one speak Australian here?

Taking a step back, why in the world am I talking about this? I was kind of a bit afraid this season in how far this show might fit into the slot of cute slice of life along with Konohana Kitan, but both have turned out pretty good.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:35 pm Reply with quote
@DuskyPredator

Of course I don't speak Australian. The last time I associated with Australians was in Vietnam. That was in 1970 which should be several years before you were born. I can't even remember what the accent sounds like.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:12 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Alan45 wrote:

Sausage. Geez, does no one speak Australian here?

'Snag' was once a viable term for a sausage in at least one small area of the UK, but for some reason the word was jettisoned decades ago. (Its utility to such an extent hit a snag, as it were.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:57 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

A nice little send off there, having a look at how the manager managed to get the staff before Maika. One was pretty much a kidnapping, which manages to be hilarious. Yeah I enjoy these types of series, the type that can often be seen as an excuse to show cute girls, and I think that Blend S managed to be a pretty successful one. Some of that I think has to be down to the fact that this show allowed men, the manager and the chef, with Hideri being a bit up in the air. And that brought things like including Hideri, and really not making too much of a deal about it like Hideri was some assault on the sexuality of the characters or I hope for the viewer. And just the manager’s character, that he is an Italian man, a foreigner, but his character really is not that weird beyond that he is an otaku. He is arguably who they want the audience, primarily Japanese men or teenagers, to kind of connect with, and for a medium which often characterises all foreigners as being weird just by being a foreigner, that is kind of nice, the show even got mileage of that with Maika. The show was actually kind of okay on otaku characters in general.

But there are also the really important parts for thinking back on the show, and that includes Mafuyu is best character, followed a little bit by Hideri. But seriously they were all generally good characters, it was fun. And the OP I think was my favourite of the season, it is not there is not like it does something amazing, but it just seems really well put together, which I think works for the series in general. It is just well put together. I do maybe want to mention a little hang-up though, I was not entirely comfortable with a guy old enough to own a restaurant to trying to chase after a 16 year old girl, there is a bit of a problem with power there, especially since she has an interest in foreign things.

But I enjoyed my time, I could see going through another season, but not necessary at all. I just like the idea of seeing something similar type or show and or made by the people involved in this. While some things I watch can feel like a bit of a drag, or need to pay close attention for story or theme purposes, this was kind of just a nice fun watch, that is another addition of these type of shows that can just work regardless of a stigma that no doubt some hold. Probably not important, but it had me thinking something like New Game, where you might have a bit of low expectations, but you still enjoy yourself.

I rate it Very good (8/10), which I feel works in that it is kind of a good middle road anime, like a good show to watch if you want to see watch a middle of the road anime, without actually going to far with excessive fanservie or something. I guess it used cute, but cute should not be offensive, and I still think the characters were treated well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2