• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Subscription Questions

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
Minimimiau wrote:
We regularly give-away DVDs, Blu-Rays and other merchandise we've received to our subscribers. The give-aways occur in the community forum.

Do you send me that DVD to Mexico or it is only to the USA? As I said, I like this site, please do not think I[ll pay only for what I said. Its only a question that I have.
Ahh, I'll have to look into Mexico. Right now it's only USA & Canada (I'll update the subscription page to reflect that, thank you for pointing it out). But I suspect mail service to Mexico isn't that expensive, so it might be feasible for us to include Mexico.

I think whether or not ANN would be willing to ship something to Mexico is kind of moot given that it has not offered a Community Forum give-away of any kind for 5 years.

[answered above -t]
Minimimiau

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Today it is Christmas eve. I decided to make a donation. Why? Because I like this page, and I want to help.

[Thank you -t]
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Sweet! Very jazzed to hear about the resumption of CF give-aways.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:

I think whether or not ANN would be willing to ship something to Mexico is kind of moot given that it has not offered a Community Forum give-away of any kind for 5 years.

[answered above -t]

Since you're already looking into talking to CR, Funi, etc in regards to referrals and such for the subscription itself why not also inquire about merchandise promos? See if they have anything they would be willing to send for those subscriber give aways. Maybe talk to Right Stuf or RACS as well in regards to gift cards. Like a $20 or $25 one here and there. Maybe a "Got Anime" subscription gift from Right Stuf. Could also ask Fakku for those adult members who might be interested. For the actual physical release reviews of anime and manga what happens to those products after the reviewer does their review?
sean_wills_

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:31 pm Reply with quote
earlier post wrote:
I'm having an issue after logging into PayPal where it says 'the selected bank account is invalid'. It then kicks me back to the login page. Is there an issue with the PayPal processing at the moment?
Never mind, I figured it out! It seems PayPal was defaulting to an expires payment method on my end. The subscription has gone through now.

[Thank you! -t]
Vukir

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:49 pm Reply with quote
I can't actually use PayPal, as I've been blacklisted from the website for about 7 years now. Recovery requires a phone call, financial confirmations, remember what my account even was, and I'm just not up to that sort of trouble at the moment. I know every payment model takes a bite out of the transaction (would be nice if there was an option for the payer to opt to pay for the fee, but that's another discussion), and I can't expect every method to be supported (Amazon, third party systems) so I'll have to figure out a way to Sub.

I've been here since I was in high school way back in 2001/2002. Different time, different everything (dial-up sucked), and subbing is a great way to help keep the site alive and healthy. I'm here nearly every day, so no reason not to contribute.

That said... The payment options are rather fixed. Is there a way I could pay more for, say, a 1 year subscription? Or any other method to donate additional income to the site?

I'll figure out the PayPal thing later, and if the amounts posted are the amounts you feel is best for the site, I can respect that. But I'd rather give a bit more without buying a second sub that I can't gift.
RHorsman

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:04 am Reply with quote
You hit this in one of the comments above, but it's worth repeating and maybe emphasizing on the page where you're asking people to subscribe: PayPal will NOT process these subscription payments if you're trying to use a linked bank account. It has to be a credit card. Direct pay from my bank account is my default so my attempts to pay kept failing, until I re-read these forum posts and switched to one of the credit cards attached to my account. PayPal's messaging does not make it clear why this happened: you just get a generic "Sorry — your last action could not be completed".

[Thanks updated -t]
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Vukir wrote:
I'll figure out the PayPal thing later, and if the amounts posted are the amounts you feel is best for the site, I can respect that. But I'd rather give a bit more without buying a second sub that I can't gift.

I'll update the FAQ with a generic answer to this shortly, but to answer you directly, first of all, Thank you!

The amounts I've chosen are what I feel is fair for the service being provided and affordable to our readers.

A small number of people such as yourself have said they would like to give more. I'm tremendously happy hearing that, but I'm also a little uneasy about accepting "donations." As I said in the other thread, ANN is for profit. Looking around the Internet though, there are quite a lot of respectable journalism outlets and independent artists that accept "one time gifts," so I'll give it some thought.

In our upcoming subscription system there will be higher priced items that give more rewards. These will allow people to "give" more; but I'll still think about the 1-time gift aspect.
Aayuo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:22 am Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
A small number of people such as yourself have said they would like to give more. I'm tremendously happy hearing that, but I'm also a little uneasy about accepting "donations."

Been reading ANN for years and think it's overall the best one-stop anime resource on the web. Seriously.
With news, infos, reviews, a deep encyclopedia of older anime titles, forum posts etc., there's so much good stuff. And it is well written with a really nice layout.

I'm also more than happy to support ANN with more than the $30 maximum - if I could.
Just provide a way to enter an amount of choice (above $30). Is that difficult to add?
And please do not see it as a "donation", but rather as a "paid-late" fee or a one-time thank you for years of use of a great anime site.

However, sadly, I also have an issue with PayPal. I do not want to be forced into opening an account with them. This is rather mean of PayPal, because not that long ago they would clear credit card transactions without requiring a PayPal account. But now, it seems, they force everyone into an account.
I've heard too many stories of PayPal mistakingly charging their users' credit cards - and then giving them a hard time to claim their money back - that I am not really willing to risk that. Please understand.

So please look into an alternative payment option as soon as possible!
And let me know once you have one.

Thank you, and please keep ANN going! It means a lot.

p.s.
Your name, "Tempest", does it have anything to do with the "Blast of Tempest" manga/anime? Just curious.

[Thanks for the feedback. We're working on the alternate payment method.
I've been using "Tempest" since 1993, so no, not related to Blast of Tempest. -t]
Xhertas

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Please let us subscribe with another method instead of Paypal. I'm located in Turkey and they dropped the support for it. It would be great if you just let us pay with a simple credit card (with 3D secure method if possible).
azhanei

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:39 pm Reply with quote
azhanei wrote:
I want to change the credit card option your PayPal interface defaults to. I click on "Change Payment," make the change, and hit "Continue," but the change doesn't stick. It keeps going back to card it had picked as the default.

[answered above -t]

I PM'd you a few days ago. Changing the card in PayPal first didn't work.

[Sorry I missed that! I'll get back to you by PM right away. -t]
iatheia

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Do the google text ads that show up when you search for something not count in being removed through a basic subscription? They certainly don't have anything to do with the anime.

Hmmm... Hadn't thought about that. Not certain if we can disable that or not. I'll ask Dan to look into it, if it can be disabled, it will be disabled for subscribers.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Man, bless that Basic Ad Removal service. It's exactly what I wanted, and even cheaper than I thought it'd be!
djmounce

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:40 pm Reply with quote
I would love to support you guys, but really don't like Paypal. If you have any other payment options, I would be more than willing to contribute Smile.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:35 pm Reply with quote
iatheia wrote:
Do the google text ads that show up when you search for something not count in being removed through a basic subscription? They certainly don't have anything to do with the anime.

Unfortunately that can't be disabled. We use Google CSE for searching the site, and that includes ads. There used to be a paid version without ads but they even removed that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5