• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Just Because!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
myskaros

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
I mean, unless i missed something, they both can go to whichever university they want now, no?

First off, Mio decided not to take the exam at all for her sister's university, Suizan, the one Eita just passed, which means she can't go there. Eita... not sure how his situation works, if he had to decline the recommendation in order to take a different school's entrance exam.

There's also every chance that he'll just decline Joei anyway and decide to go to Suizan before talking with anyone anyway, meaning he'd also be SOL. I could see myself doing something like this in high school, convincing myself that doing stuff without telling anyone was a good way to improve specific people's impressions of me.

Honestly, if you're thinking "just get on with it," I feel like you're missing something in this show. They're showing an essential piece of childhood: giving yourself random goalposts in order to convince yourself to take action. Aside from that, Just Because has consistently been about the small moments in life in between the highlights, the parts that most other shows skip in order to show you more drama or action or flashy/exciting things.
Merida

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:42 pm Reply with quote
myskaros wrote:
Merida wrote:
I mean, unless i missed something, they both can go to whichever university they want now, no?

First off, Mio decided not to take the exam at all for her sister's university, Suizan, the one Eita just passed, which means she can't go there.

Wasn't it stated that she passed the exam for her "safety school"? So that's not Suizan? Well whatever, not going to the same university is hardly the end of the world...

Seriously, watching this would be far less painful if they hadn't chosen to turn it into a love triangle, but by putting Ena in there, the contrast between acting and not-acting just gets infuriating.

I still like the show and Haruto/Hazuki are adorable, but it's really about time to bring that love triangle to whatever conclusion...
AholePony

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:34 pm Reply with quote
God Ena's great big smile at the end breaks my heart. Agree with the reviewer, the music this week was definitely the MVP of the episode, very effective.
TichoSlicer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Mio didn't deserve to win, this was [expletive] bullshit...
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Episode 12 was more or less an adequate conclusion, but I feel kind of disappointed by the whole show. This series started with a first episode that I really liked, and I tend to enjoy romance stories of high schoolers. Just Because! earns a respectable, overall B rating, and it is definitely one of my three favorite shows from this season, but I am not sure if I want to revisit it in the future.
Yttrbio
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:33 pm Reply with quote
The show really captured the tedium of the seemingly-endless droning graduation speeches designed more for the speaker's celebration than anything about the student body as a whole. I felt my eyes glazing over just like they did at my own graduation.
myskaros

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:39 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
and it is definitely one of my three favorite shows from this season, but I am not sure if I want to revisit it in the future.

I came to the same conclusion, but, analyzing the show in retrospect, I didn't feel disappointed in the show, just in the choices of the actors. As an observer of the story from above, I came to like Ena the best and was most invested in her happiness. However, I think giving her the relationship she desired would have simultaneously removed Eita's agency. He was singularly focused on Mio for years, and, for better or for worse, he followed his gamble to the end. Changing him to accept Ena in the end would be a denial of his story throughout the show, and make him a worse partner. As Ena put it, that's the person she fell in love with.

It's kind of interesting that the other main couple, Souma and Hazuki, started out with the more "fantastic" setting and ended up being the more realistic couple, while Eita and Mio stayed close to the ground and padded their dreams with realistic/cynical expectations, but ended up holding out for the more unrealistic, luck-based outcomes. I think them ending up together is more of an exception that proves the rule - the circumstances leading to that conclusion are so convoluted, and the amount of effort each puts in to achieve their goals is so lacking, that most pairs in a similar situation will probably simply pass each other by in life.
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:26 pm Reply with quote
I liked the show. I liked the ending, although spoiler[I ... thought it was a little dragged out and melodramatic.]

BUT Amazon did not get the sub-titles for the IM messages done for the last episode, at least not as of this writing. They did them for all the other eps, and they were sometimes a major part of the feelings shown, both in things said and left unsaid. I am really annoyed with Amazon for this. Mad
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:08 pm Reply with quote
As much as I love bashing Amazon, it may have not been their fault. I think Sentai is probably responsible for getting the subtitles to them. Where Amazon sometimes falls down is not providing subtitles at ALL for certain eppies.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6