• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Unpopular anime opinions.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:01 am Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
It's less a problem with sexuality in anime and more a problem with Japan thinking that it's somehow more acceptable or attractive to have someone unknowingly or unwillingly be sexually provocative. Pluto always comes across as a grown man with some type of developmental disability, not a cute dog in a human body. There's no reason he couldn't have just been an actual dog.

I see. I think that thing is due to their culture of cuteness. Young Japanese society has developed a cult of childish behavior as a way of rebelling against social norms and so they think characters who act like babbling babies are cool and sexy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
louis6578

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Jose Cruz wrote:
louis6578 wrote:
It's less a problem with sexuality in anime and more a problem with Japan thinking that it's somehow more acceptable or attractive to have someone unknowingly or unwillingly be sexually provocative. Pluto always comes across as a grown man with some type of developmental disability, not a cute dog in a human body. There's no reason he couldn't have just been an actual dog.

I see. I think that thing is due to their culture of cuteness. Young Japanese society has developed a cult of childish behavior as a way of rebelling against social norms and so they think characters who act like babbling babies are cool and sexy.

Lord, please tell me this isn't the case. Frankly, fanservice itself doesn't upset me. The whole thing where a woman being exposed for fanservice has to be accidental and embarrassing gets me. I think the idea is to have your cake and eat it too. The girl gets to be sexualized, but because it wasn't intentional, she retains her virginal purity.
Spawn29

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:37 pm Reply with quote
I personally feel like Rurouni Kenshin is not the best Samurai anime and manga and I do think it's overrated. I do think Rurouni Kenshin is a pretty good series, but I do feel like that there is better Samurai titles out there. I still say that Lone Wolf and Cub is the best Samurai manga ever and one of the best live action Samurai film not from Akira Kurosawa. Lone Wolf and Cub is a good example that comics/manga can be view as literature and high art.

Not to mention I like other Samurai titles like Lady Snowblood, Dororo, Vagabond, Shigurui, Blade of the Immortal, Samurai Executioner, Path of the Assassin and Sword of the Stranger over Kenshin. I like those titles better because they have more darker and mature themes compare to Rurouni Kenshin in my opinion.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:22 am Reply with quote
PulsarSmash wrote:
More of an unpopular anime industry opinion: I honestly prefer Anime Strike to Crunchyroll/Funimation. There's more shows (and especially movies) on AS that I actually want to watch, and they're snagging the exclusives I'm most excited about.

Strike's biggest issue is that it's behind two paywalls, one of them being $100 a year. What was wrong with just putting their shows on the Amazon streaming service? They already have shows like "Get Backers" and "Macross"/"Robotech" (yes, both versions). Why stop there?
TheAnimeRevolutionizer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Spawn29 wrote:
I personally feel like Rurouni Kenshin is not the best Samurai anime and manga and I do think it's overrated. I do think Rurouni Kenshin is a pretty good series, but I do feel like that there is better Samurai titles out there. I still say that Lone Wolf and Cub is the best Samurai manga ever and one of the best live action Samurai film not from Akira Kurosawa. Lone Wolf and Cub is a good example that comics/manga can be view as literature and high art.

Not to mention I like other Samurai titles like Lady Snowblood, Dororo, Vagabond, Shigurui, Blade of the Immortal, Samurai Executioner, Path of the Assassin and Sword of the Stranger over Kenshin. I like those titles better because they have more darker and mature themes compare to Rurouni Kenshin in my opinion.

My argument is that I want to see more samurai series with fictional premises and imagination like much of modern fantasy. Rurouni Kenshin kind of fills that niche and so does Zorro of One Piece, but that's some ripe expanse right there.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Why is Your Name. so bad at explaining its own story?

I kept waiting for a review thread to post this question in but I gave up waiting as I really want to know the answer to this. Also:

How did Taki not know about spoiler[the comet?] Skipping over the effects and aftermath... must resist comparing it to spoiler[natural disasters] movie itself wants to compare it to... it must have some kind of impact on his mind, right? How about why the swapping was happening at all in the first place... or why the spoiler[amnesia effect happened]... or how the spoiler[amnesia] affected the physical world... or why it happened every time the other it happened, except when it didn't ... or spoiler[ why it hit the same !@#$ spot each !@#$ time]?

I know this is a "Feel, don't think" movie. I know. But this movie was so bad I wanted it to have the ending of 5 cm per Second... you know the ending I mean... and I absolutely loathe that movie.
louis6578

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:51 pm Reply with quote
A weird one, but I also think that MAL and ANN's scoring systems should allow for .5 scores. I think there's a truly noteworthy difference between a 6 and a 7, and there are times where I'd rather rate something an 8.5 instead of a 9 or an 8 because I feel that 9's are special and rare. Some personal examples of me wanting to rate something in-between whole numbers include the following.

Death Note's second half was so far below the first half, but it makes up for it with its ending. Still, I can't rate it a 9/10 after that quality drop. I feel like it deserves more than the 8/10 that I gave it. Perfect example for an 8.5 type score.

I'd really rather give Fushigi Yuugi a 1.5 than a 2, though I admit that one is basically splitting hairs. I feel like a 2 is a competent anime that just bores me completely, but has sparks of life or appeal to other people, even if I can see millions upon millions of flaws. Show-ruining flaws for me aren't necessarily show-ruining flaws for everyone after all. For that reason, I'd give Nagasarete Airantou and Strait Jacket a 2, but I think Fushigi Yuugi deserves just a bit more than a solid 1 because it had a few characters that were amusing and never offended me, and if it were half the length, it wouldn't have been nearly as torturous.

I feel like there's a huge difference between an 8 and an 8.5. It's kind of annoying when people see my anime list and say "WHAT!? You thought Spice and Wolf was as good as Death Note!?" Of course, my opinion is my own and people shouldn't get so butthurt when it doesn't match their's, but I have to admit that it's kind of annoying to not make the distinction clearer than a 1-10 scale. Maybe 1-20 would give me the amount of wiggle room I need.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:38 pm Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
Jose Cruz wrote:
louis6578 wrote:

Lord, please tell me this isn't the case.

Read this:

http://www.kinsellaresearch.com/new/Cuties%20in%20Japan.pdf

Quote:
Frankly, fanservice itself doesn't upset me. The whole thing where a woman being exposed for fanservice has to be accidental and embarrassing gets me. I think the idea is to have your cake and eat it too. The girl gets to be sexualized, but because it wasn't intentional, she retains her virginal purity.

I disagree, think that's because it's funnier when it is not conscious. Like in Strike Witches we have that fanservice works as a form of self conscious parody. A lot of times it is just a form of comedy. Sexual harassment is used in manga/anime as a form of comedy all the time.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:19 pm Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
I feel like there's a huge difference between an 8 and an 8.5. It's kind of annoying when people see my anime list and say "WHAT!? You thought Spice and Wolf was as good as Death Note!?" Of course, my opinion is my own and people shouldn't get so butthurt when it doesn't match their's, but I have to admit that it's kind of annoying to not make the distinction clearer than a 1-10 scale. Maybe 1-20 would give me the amount of wiggle room I need.

You say that until you have two shows rated at 8.5 and someone complains to you about that Laughing

I use a 0-100 scale and there are plenty of times when scores are equal and I still think "wait I thought this was one was better than that one". As much effort as I put into rating things (which is much more than I should), I do end up just shrugging the end result off a lot.
Spawn29

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:09 am Reply with quote
Bible Black is the most overrated Hentai in my opinion. Sure it has a decent plot and a bad funny dub. Other wise, I don't think its that great in my opinion. If you ask me, Legend of the Overfiend is the best hentai and it is a good anime in general in my opinion (I'm talking about the Japanese uncut version).

Legend of the Overfiend has great Lovecraft-esque cosmic/apocalyptic horror with very good animation and a really cool story. I personally love it and I even donated for the Manga kickstarter. It is worth checking out for any horror or retro anime fan in my opinion. Sure it has gross stuff in it, but I do think most people can handle it these days compare to the other stuff that gets release these days.
TheAnimeRevolutionizer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:47 am Reply with quote
Hah. Wow, I'm extra happy that T.H.E.M. Anime Reviews was a site that I haven't ever been to in my life. And life had a pretty good reason.

I will admit, my focus is on video games, but anime heavily intertwines with my kinds of video games and I like anime as a whole in turn. And even then, I am an author and an artist. I have this disclaimer written because for what it's worth, because I probably live in another world far from the general consumer.

Regarding T.H.E.M., I'm dead laughing. I'm not going to lie. Yes, anime has standards and so does entertainment. Then again, that doesn't include one's sense of appreciation and refinement to know what one wants out of one's entertainment. That's entirely on the viewers.

T.H.E.M. has proven to me to be the example of what happens when you don't get constructive with your interests and get lost in a specific timeframe as a consumer with unpleasable demands. I admit, I have issues with the reviewing scores here on ANN but then again I have issues with everyone, and T.H.E.M. is an example to me to why I shouldn't trust viewers of entertainment from another nation to be reviewers and critics of it in the first place. Life is too short for bad anime? More like life is too short for bad advice.
Heishi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:51 pm Reply with quote
TheAnimeRevolutionizer wrote:
Hah. Wow, I'm extra happy that T.H.E.M. Anime Reviews was a site that I haven't ever been to in my life. And life had a pretty good reason.

I will admit, my focus is on video games, but anime heavily intertwines with my kinds of video games and I like anime as a whole in turn. And even then, I am an author and an artist. I have this disclaimer written because for what it's worth, because I probably live in another world far from the general consumer.

Regarding T.H.E.M., I'm dead laughing. I'm not going to lie. Yes, anime has standards and so does entertainment. Then again, that doesn't include one's sense of appreciation and refinement to know what one wants out of one's entertainment. That's entirely on the viewers.

T.H.E.M. has proven to me to be the example of what happens when you don't get constructive with your interests and get lost in a specific timeframe as a consumer with unpleasable demands. I admit, I have issues with the reviewing scores here on ANN but then again I have issues with everyone, and T.H.E.M. is an example to me to why I shouldn't trust viewers of entertainment from another nation to be reviewers and critics of it in the first place. Life is too short for bad anime? More like life is too short for bad advice.

I have a real aversion to THEM Anime Reviews for reasons I won't get into.
(I already talked about them before)
Terrible90sDub

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Oh, I'll go for the most opposite-from-the-norm one I can think of from a major title:

My least favorite Gurren Lagann character is Kamina. My favorite is Rossiu.

That also summarizes how bizarre and love/hate my entire Gurren Lagann experience itself was. I was left going "how is my favorite the lawful character? That never happens!" I've somehow watched it 1.5 times (as I rewatched most of the 2nd half + some choice episodes from the first half) and the movies, despite hating part of it at the same time. A few of its characters are really well developed, but others get thrown by the wayside. Its themes are really consistent and constantly grow off of each other, but then, I disagreed fundamentally with some of those themes. A bigger drill isn't always the answer, people! Don't kick reason!

I do know the answer to the "how did that happen?" question: Rossiu acts like he's in a completely different genre, and GL has a very unrealistic, shonen-esque attitude taken to extremes which isn't that appealing to me. Rossiu also has a very well done character arc, considering how spoiler[the past he thought he escaped from ends up mirroring his future actions]. He's a very flawed character, but that's also what makes him interesting.
Spawn29

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:39 pm Reply with quote
I find the Japanese versions of Cowboy Bebop and Yu Yu Hakusho to be underrated. Sure the dubs for them are not bad, but people should not over look the Japanese versions of these shows. I do find the voice acting them in to be really good in the Japanese version and it's too bad the dub over shadow them.

I think if a dub aired on CN, it is consider to be the best thing ever by fans because they saw it as a kid expect for the 4kids dub of One Piece. Sometimes you have let go of nostalgia and try to watch the original Japanese version of the show. It may not have your favorite childhood voice actors, but people should always check out new things.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Spawn29 wrote:
I do find the voice acting them in to be really good in the Japanese version and it's too bad the dub over shadow them.

I've heard the Japanese dub of the Cowboy Bebop Movie; does that count? Razz Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 71 of 84