• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(The) Seven Deadly Sins (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 1:05 am Reply with quote
leatherhead333 wrote:
I'm talking about BEFORE he tried that damage counter. He didn't try that until after he was healed and Gowther communicated the plan to everyone. He could have used it against the energy based attacks Hendrick was doing. Two examples being when he chose to shield Elizabeth form an energy blast with his body instead of........you know USING HIS [expletive] COUNTER to send the attack back. Or the big attack Hawk had to protect him from. Don't even try that "He was still hurt" argument either. He could have very well just unleashed a portion of his demonic power to give him an energy boost (like he did in the fight vs Ban) which is shown to give him strength and heal is injuries. So yeah all in all I suppose they needed to make a situation where Hawk had to sacrifice himself abandoning any sense of logical reasoning. That's fine for the kind of show this is but isn't something I have to agree with.

I see that you did not read everything I said about what was said in the episode. Hendrickson said that Medliodas could deflect damage by using counter, the implication being that Meliodas had already been doing that in the fight previously. And there are some good reasoning that does not go against the shows logic why Meliodas did not send a more powerful version of an attack back at him. First is that Meliodas could have been running quite low on energy, he had already turned into his demon version earlier fights and must have been getting exhausted. The second is that Hendrickson knew full well how Meliodas' counter works and had been fighting around it. Hendrickson hardly seemed to be straining himself with attacks, which may have been that he was purposely using weaker attacks so that if Meliodas did try a powerful counter then Hendrickson would just use an even more powerful attack and take Meliodas out while counter is being used. It could also be that Meliodas was incapable of fully countering some of the attacks such as the one that hit the area, or created the snow.

Rather than saying that Meliodas had not been fighting at full strength, or that Hendrickson was fighting smart, can't you see the possibility that the reason Meliodas was not at full strength was because Hendrickson was fighting smart? If Hendrickson tried to go in for the killing move too quickly then Meliodas could use his full power, so he was tiring Meliodas out. If Meliodas used his full power too hastily then he would be left over, so he was using his counter mainly to reduce damage he was taking until he removed it to build up power which confused Hendrickson.

And when did I say that every shounen works this way. Just look at examples like Dragonball, One Piece, Fairy Tail, Gurren Lagann etc. Often there is such a thing as "rule of cool", a show works by being extra cool regardless of being realistic, and creates rules around it. Another show that kind of worked this was Kill la Kill, or to be more precise it was Ryouko from Kill la Kill where as long as she was cool she got stronger. The Seven Deadly Sins works off of rule of cool, where everyone works by being flashy with title cards and yelling out attack names. What we saw was that many of the characters already followed these rules, but the Sins we also knew were a level above it that when they got serious they could just dismiss a line of normal foot soldiers to their bit. What often happened was seeing how battles could slip past their over powerdness or close to match them. We had mind control, being rusty, and trying not to get anyone killed including their opponent.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 11:51 am Reply with quote
That still doesn't explain why he didn't just transform?

He was exhausted during his fight with Ban but he still managed to summon his demon power to heal his arm. Why couldn't he here? It makes no sense. You could throw in the possibility that it would overtake him again but considering the state they were in would it have been a bad move? His BEST FRIEND was about to die before his eyes and he obviously didn't plan on Elizabeth being able to save them all. At that point transforming would have been the most logical response if not the ONLY possible one. That's likely what he was going to do anyway. But it's obvious they needed a setup to make Elizabeth be able to stand out. Which would have been fine if they didn't ignore what had already been established.
Shikiari

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:11 am Reply with quote
OVA 1 : Bandit Ban

So they released the first OVA with the manga's 15th volume and it revolves around Ban meeting Elaine for the first time when he was after the fountain of youth.

A great episode that should have been used rather than the small flashbacks we had during the series. BanxElaine truely is one of the tragic love stories of this year.

Looking forward to the second OVA which will apparently include the rest of the Deadly Sins in action.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:46 am Reply with quote
Notes on complete series:

Concept/story:

Concept reminds me of another fantasy epic -- Saiyuki (inspired by ancient Chinese literature). But this anime, however, goes easy trope of presenting fake sins even in greater degree: as each characters' story is told viewers understand that they did not really sinned, so this concept does not have a lot of character development. A more powerful story would be about actual sinners that went through spiritual hell and somehow reformed. But, of course, for a story like this, it is hard to expect it would follow the genius of Dostoyevsky's Crime And Punishment masterpiece.

Also, it is always annoying when author appropriate famous pre-existing real and fictional places and names (like Britannia, Arthur, Merlin) to use them in stories that have nothing to do with anything. This is cheap, classless way, and it was absolutely unnecessary in this case (the story is good enough on its own). Thus authors have subtracted from their project while gaining nothing.

Characters:

The way main heroes have parted with their sacred artefacts is ridiculous, not convincing; they could not have been this much airheads to be so advanced and famous; not fully consistent and believable.

The main lad is too short for level of his sexual maturity: either he has some hormonal/genetic illness, or authors butchered drawing of the character.

In one of episodes, the princess cries for physician-murderer -- this is ridiculous, since the man is horrible; there is no moral ground to murder one person for the sake of another, not a iota of sympathy towards that character is possible; his death is fully deserved. Princess is insane for crying for him.

The characters have shed more tears on pig's death than their own comrade(s), which is ridiculous.

It is funny that the sign of great injury of a character is usually his/her torn clothes on the back with some red rash on the skin.

Visuals/design:

Consistent quality animation. The piggy is super cute, as well as the Sloth lad (though most of characters are adorable anyway). Overall, beautiful and original character design, amazingly gross true demon design.

Music:

The music is rather good, but sometimes it sounds like weaker, derivative version of pieces written by the same composer for other projects like for Kill La Kill anime.

Resume:

While this project is obviously not perfect (with more details on that I just omitted), overall it is excellent fantasy action with continuous story that is watchable in one breath (unlike the overrated dreadful drag The Beast Player Erin, for example). It deserves rating between "Very Good" and "Excellent", closer to the latter.
Shikiari

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:54 pm Reply with quote
OVA 2

Ah, it was great to see the whole cast again just basically larking about. The episode was broken down into little side stories for each character that lasted a few minutes each.

We got to see Ban and Diane arm/pinkie wrestle, how the Boar Hat Bar was created, Elizabeth and Hawk out shopping and almost Diane/ Elizabeth naked when King admits he wants to be more like Meliodas and many more!

I remember reading some of these side stories in the Manga, but it was still great to see them animated. It just really makes me want Season 2 already or even Season 1 released on Blu-ray to watch again.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:48 pm Reply with quote
OVA 2

To think that Meliodas lost his sacred treasure, by selling it to buy the pub.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:05 pm Reply with quote
I guess these past three episodes of the new "season" serves more as fan service rather than storytelling. I'm glad Diane and King got their moments though, especially King since he's one of my favorite characters.

In the meantime, I wonder if the finale will take on a more serious tone.

One more OVA/special episode to go.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
I guess these past three episodes of the new "season" serves more as fan service rather than storytelling. I'm glad Diane and King got their moments though, especially King since he's one of my favorite characters.

In the meantime, I wonder if the finale will take on a more serious tone.

One more OVA/special episode to go.

The whole thing was kind of goofy. I do hope they will do another season properly, as the premises seem to be interesting, and we still need to see the final sin.
The fight between Meliodas and Ban was a bit anticlimactic, I expected a bit more, but the whole 'season' was very light hearted, not counting the return of the two deamons. So I guess we just need to wait and see if there is going to be more.
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:13 am Reply with quote
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DranzerX13

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:41 am Reply with quote
Next week on January 6, 2018, will be a TV Special episode, consisting of a recap of the first season along with some new footage. The first episode of season 2 will start on January 13, 2018.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Wrath of the Gods (season 3, or 4), Episode 1

Wow, the amount of censorship in this episode was kind of hilarious. All instances of where there would be blood is blobs of white, and a few cases of big black circles, such as the case of Meliodas being skewered in a previous season. It is like they are trying to be child friendly, while this series has been filled with so much cases of blood that it is just bizarre if there is any right impact when every enemy is killed in a bloody fashion, which now kind of looks lewd in how much white there is.

Never really messaged here about the previous season (2 or 3), not exactly great, but I am interested to see some more.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:22 am Reply with quote
Season 5 (Dragon's judgement), Episode 24 (series finale)

Whew, looks like the series is finally over, kind of nice to actually have a finish, the last episode showing Elizabeth and Meliodas' son after a timeskip. Sadly we didn't get to see children of Diane and King or Ban and Elaine. But pretty much everything was resolved, with Arthur being set as where a story would continue with, Hawke even got to meet his brother. As a note of spoilers, Escanor was one of the few bad guys that had a not quite happy end, having over charged on his power several episodes earlier to try and save everyone in the battle against the demon king, but it was a beautiful story.

Escanor actually had a rather interesting story this season, where we found out where the origins of his powers were from, and a very complex storyline involving that character as like a linchpin to a whole bunch of things like the end of the holy war in the past. It maybe did feel like at some point the story just kept going on and on with a new plot, which kind of had to keep raising that stakes. And with a show that near the beginning kind of set itself up as mucking around with the idea of power levels where what were essentially mooks doing ultimate attacks and just getting swept away, power creep did hit. The franchise itself kind of became less as it went on, although maybe the last season was not the worst, but it did just kind of start to get tiring and I was ready for a finish. Just checking a Wikipedia page I can see that there were exactly 100 episodes.

My rating is going to be Decent (6/10), I didn't really lose my time, it did have its enjoyable parts, but it also went on for a long time and was not always the best.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8