• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: GKIDS Licenses Lu over the wall, Night is Short, Walk on Girl

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CatSword

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Alright! Go, GKIDS! They seem to have a thing for Yuasa. I wish they'd branch out into licensing anime series and get The Tatami Galaxy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Never really saw Night is Short, Walk on Girl in the GKIDS wheelhouse, but I'll take it if they'll bring it to theaters here.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:09 pm Reply with quote
This is great news, especially since GKids manages to get their films into a decent number of theatres.
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:30 pm Reply with quote
I’m happy to hear they got these movies, but at the same time I don’t understand why they are showing a movie in theaters when it’s already streaming on VRV. I’m getting ads saying Mary and the Witch’s Flower is a one night only event, but I was under the impression there would be a wide theatrical release after the Fathom Event showing. That Thursday night (Jan. 18th I believe) is probably not going to work for me, but I don’t want to miss it if that’s the only showing they’re doing.
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:55 pm Reply with quote
This is excellent news. Really looking forward to them on Blu-ray, or in theaters if possible.
Xe4

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:29 am Reply with quote
Fantastic grab by GKids. I'd always thought they'd be a good match, and I'm glad the folks at GKids and whoever is handling the Japanese side of distribution agree.

I haven't seen either Lu or Night yet, but now I get to watch them (or at least Lu) in theaters as my first time now!

LegitPancake wrote:
I’m happy to hear they got these movies, but at the same time I don’t understand why they are showing a movie in theaters when it’s already streaming on VRV. I’m getting ads saying Mary and the Witch’s Flower is a one night only event, but I was under the impression there would be a wide theatrical release after the Fathom Event showing. That Thursday night (Jan. 18th I believe) is probably not going to work for me, but I don’t want to miss it if that’s the only showing they’re doing.

The answer is two fold. One, running your film in theaters and especially at an event like Sundance is required for a good Oscars push (though technically Sundance isn't Oscar qualifying). I expect GKids to push Lu hard for an Oscar nomination.

Secondly, it puts the film in the minds of those why may not have a VRV account or even be that big of an anime fan, and helps spread the films to a wider audience than it would be otherwise.

Also, and this is personal preference here, watching animated films in theaters is a totally different and way better experience than at my house.

As for Mary, I know it'll be premiering nationwide after the one day premier, at least according to Fathom (which could be wrong).

https://www.fathomevents.com/news/press-release/mary-and-the-witchs-flower-to-premiere-in-cinemas-for-special-one-night-adventure-january-18

I tweeted GKids, but the answer is probably "screenings will be up soon".
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:46 am Reply with quote
Awesome. Glad that Yuasa is getting more and more likely to have his stuff licensed here in North America.
zawa113

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:22 am Reply with quote
Sweet! I can add those to my buy list then!

Don't overlook their non-anime, non-Ghibli stuff though. As someone who just plain likes good animation from any country, this company is a personal favorite.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1