• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Dies irae (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:04 pm Reply with quote

I'm still not fond of the use of giant skeletons as manifestations of the Einherjar's powers. It looks dramatic and all, but it looks a little silly (not because of the animation quality but because of the scale and size of the things). I can see why they went with it though since Machina's powers lack the visual impact Samiel has.

With what's remaining, they'll have to pick and choose really carefully what they want to air. Too many action scenes and not enough air time. Next episode title does give me an idea of what they're going for though. I hope they get that concept across too since it's important for the series as a whole.

Now that he has his Time Stop ability activated, almost everything is set up for Fujii Ren now. If the animators get it right, I'll enjoy the last two episodes more than the episode featuring Fujii vs. Heydrich.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:58 pm Reply with quote
I feel like I should understand what was happening, but there is still this weird feeling of a lack of context that left me not really understanding what was happening. And those big skeletons looks silly, like the Iron Giant suddenly showed up.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:31 am Reply with quote
@ DP - I'm in the same boat as you. I think a decent comprehension of what's going on simply isn't available to a viewer who isn't familiar with the soure material. I still find myself going with the flow, though. And I dug the big skeletons.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:52 pm Reply with quote

Just a note for those unaware of what's going on: the series is no longer able to air on regular television because they've run out of time as next week another show must replace its slot (last week of December is usually devoted to end-of-year specials). The series still has six more episodes to air (which they will do at some point online).

If last week had some viewers unaware of the source material feeling lost, this week won't help matters. Fortunately they managed to show one of the biggest features of this series and a crucial concept which underpins a lot of what has happened to date. They've subtitled it as "self-destructive impulse" but 自滅因子 is spoiler[actually given the English term "Apotheosis" in the source material to reflect how characters like Shirou and Reinhard bring their counterparts to their peak through their destructive relationship before bringing them to ruin. ]

There's a huge hint on who Mercurius really is by this point so casual viewers can work out the rest based on what he said this week. As for Shirou, he has essentially "stolen" the powers Malleus had when he "broke out" and he has a certain someone to thank for this miracle. As for Schreiber, casual viewers will have to think back to episode #0 to remember who he is. Since he's been stuck in the castle all this time he's never been able to feature.

Very pleased with how they did the Shirou vs Bey fight. They even threw in a huge bone to fans of the franchise with Bey's final thought before he is consumed (casual viewers don't need to worry about who the girl is but those who've played the recently released side story recognise her).

Based on the web broadcasts planned, I can already see two possibilities prepared for the Japanese backers. At the minimum they'll see the story to the end since that's what they paid for but if they're lucky they'll get the important side story which depicted events from over a decade prior to this series.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:09 pm Reply with quote
According to MyAnimeList, the six episode ONA will begin showing sometime next July.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:35 am Reply with quote
#12-#17

No one apart from myself was keeping an eye for this, but I'm glad it's out as planned.

The break plus sales from the home release gave the animators a bit of a boost. It's not A-list animation which others seem to go for, but I thought it was better in its presentation compared to December. As for the story, it actually went better than I thought it would since fans got what they wanted to see and a bit more. Since it was planned and funded by fans of the franchise in Japan, focusing more on pleasing the existing fanbase and doing the bare minimum for new viewers who persisted despite not having a clue about most of what was going on through #0-#11 pays off better in my opinion.

Although not completely faithful to spoiler[Marie's route], the little cameos from other routes were woven in quite nicely. No surprise since the series writer wrote the script for this adaptation. What budget they saved up or acquired through the break they invested into the fight scenes as best as they could. The ending is a nice touch as well since I thought one of the other side stories would get the spotlight but in the end it was only mentioned in passing for episode #15.

The huge credits scene at the end of each episode is compulsory since there really were that many backers for the Kickstarter for this a few years back. I don't know if the majority of them thought they got their money's worth, but I'm glad they made the plunge. No matter how good the CG was in the source material, seeing it brought to life on screen in its final form really helps fill in the gaps which could not really be bridged just by reading and imagination alone.

I doubt it's had the impact Light had hoped (certainly not like Type-Moon and its Fate franchise) but it's a feat which I doubt is going to be repeated any time soon. Plaudits for giving it a go despite the considerable constraints. At the very least Light isn't going out of business any time soon and they'll have earned some publicity outside of Japan with the Steam release and this adaptation.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4