• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hōzuki's Coolheadedness (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:30 pm Reply with quote

This season has made it a point to introduce all of the secondary characters who have regular appearances in the syndicated manga. The unfortunate King Soutai and his plain reindeer-cosplaying subordinate Misohagi take their bow, but it's really Kan who steals the show. I never imagined him having a voice like the one they've assigned him for the adaptation. He's also a 100% weirdo so bringing him into the loop is never a bad thing.

As always, the attention to detail given to Hell's hierarchy by the series creator is always appreciated. Japan's Hell primarily follows the Buddhist depiction with the Japanese twist being the borrowing of China's imperial court system into Hell's hierarchy.

It didn't come to mind straight away, but as soon as I saw Haruichi I remembered the snowshard fight arc since that's how he's introduced to readers. Hoozuki might have taken a hit last week, but if he's not caught unawares viewers are reminded just how dangerous he is even when armed with a frozen banana.

The eight kings of the Freezing Hells get their names from the original scriptures written in India, but that's really it in terms of detail since monks and others who had near-death experiences in the past almost always ended up in the Burning Hells before returning to write about their experiences.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:55 am Reply with quote
Harleyquin wrote:
but it's really Kan who steals the show. I never imagined him having a voice like the one they've assigned him for the adaptation. He's also a 100% weirdo so bringing him into the loop is never a bad thing.

If you ever want someone to be 500% more awesome and or manly, then giving him the voice of Norio Wakamoto can never go wrong.

But biggest surprise of the episode was finding out that the little guys are actually full adults and not children. They just happen to be imps and thus look young. I had to stop the episode and reassess much of my thoughts on the show.

Actually had some weird sub choices from what I saw in the episode, Always find it weird that translators always change "Oni" into "demon" or ogre. At least the subs this episode having him Hoozuki refer to himself as a demon, but the animals as formally part of "ogre" hunters.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:10 pm Reply with quote

Another timely episode to match the season and the most recent employment news straight from Japan.

I remember this one because Hoozuki ended up doing his regular job even when blending in with the mortals. What I find weird is the animators have steadfastly refused to introduce the Welcoming Committee's great mascot character. Surely he's going to make an appearance sooner rather than later. While they're at it, give the boss of that section a proper introduction already. Kodama's invitation to a tea party doesn't count.

Anyone who has followed the series to date is already fully aware Hoozuki is a machine and 100% dedicated to his work. It's NOT true he doesn't take a break (past episodes involving goldfish plants are a prime example) but when he's clocked in he REALLY sets a brilliant example of how to work at maximum efficiency without relying on pointless overtime.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:41 am Reply with quote
It is a shame, because I totally ship him and Peach Maki. I liked the obvious coming anger of Hozuki realising that he was being played with by the gods thanks to Enma.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:26 am Reply with quote
This may just be the most miserable, I-wish-I-were-in-Hell face I've ever seen. Laughing

Those ears...
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:27 pm Reply with quote

As always, they've picked stories which introduce new members of the already huge ensemble. I find this week a bit of a climbdown compared to the last two, but both halves are fun in their own way.

Karauri might come off as highly-strung, but with a family like his (especially his ex-gang member elder sister) I wasn't surprised Hoozuki reached that particular conclusion about him when they made it to Nasubi's house. Speaking of Nasubi, I'll bet no one who watches the series and doesn't follow the source material would have expected the truth about his parentage. I've given up wondering how he came into the world, but the Court would be a little less interesting in an alternate reality where he didn't exist.

It's been a while since we've seen the Dogs together, but the skit is only interesting when the cultural context is taken into account. Shirou's boss is portrayed slightly differently in this series compared to the original paintings, but the gag of the skit was how Hoozuki managed to "bring round" the Hounds of Hell into service as minions.

Not many episodes remaining, but they're still going full-steam ahead with more character introductions.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:03 am Reply with quote
Harleyquin wrote:
It's been a while since we've seen the Dogs together, but the skit is only interesting when the cultural context is taken into account.

Then maybe I disagree. I pretty fine with it and doubt that I would be what you would count as taking into account the total cultural context.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:09 am Reply with quote
Funny, I have this sudden urge to go work for Hoozuki...

Anyway, I'm pretty sure Shiro is a Samoyed.

come work for me come work for me come work for me come work for me come work for me come work for me come work for me come work for me come work for me come work for me
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:13 pm Reply with quote

I prefer the first half to the second (the latter repeats a lot of things which have been featured in the series to date). Can't really go wrong with the fourth King, her chief of Staff and Anubis thrown in for good measure. Shikimi may not look it, but most of the Chiefs of Staff are Oni to begin with and they have the strength to prove it.

One thing this week's episode has is probably the best use of the "dramatic pause" for maximum comedic effect. I haven't seen something like that for over a decade.

I can't remember what the Goldfish flowers' ideal growing conditions are, but for them to grow naturally in an open-air hot spring really comes as a surprise if you're seeing them there for the first time.

I can't remember the name of the Youkai in charge of the hot bath cleaning, but they're well known for their long tongues and penchant for leaving trinkets behind in gratitude for being given something to lick.

Next week ties in with the series's knack for perfect timing between its air-dates and episode content. It should also be the final one for this adaptation.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 13

This seems to be the last episode for a bit, but there will be a part 2 of seconds season April next year, me writing this on New Years Eve. The episode actually had quite a bit about New years itself, about the place of the gods being with partying, and how they bring it in the next year, Enma supposed to being a force to shape up, Hoozuki not happy with Enma's laziness. There has to be some irony that Hoozuki was claiming what was giving him such a hard time was the Japanese working too hard and into death, when he is like the picture of overworking, stressed from overworking about people dying from stress from overworking.

And there was a new years party with drinking, which while writing this I can thinking I will be doing the same tonight. This series does have an interesting mix between learning a bit about Japanese culture I am unfamiliar with, maybe some things I relate to, interesting stories within the interesting setting of hell, and able to manage some nice dark humour with that setting. If the encyclopedia page would be including the part 2 of season 2, watching the whole thing should be needed to make a full opinion, but a split cour I think that I can at least talk about what the show was so far. It was fun, Hoozuki's Coolheadedness is something pretty unique within anime that as a comedy it can be both dark with the subject matter of hell, yet somehow make it feel light, that as far as Japanese idea hell fits into a warning against doing wrong things, and not in itself bad. I give a rating of Very good (8/10), as far as comedy goes it is pretty unique and fun. Also, this second season has had Ichiko and Niko, who are adorable.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:48 am Reply with quote

Nicely timed end-of-year episode with a mix of social commentary and surreal humour to top off this season. Needless to say this series is getting another season in April 2018 since its home fanbase is so strong and there's a wealth of material for animators to pick and choose.

As a bonus, the OP song from the first season is used for the finale's ED (fitting since it's comfortably the most recognisable of the songs aired to date).

Those who didn't watch the first season and kept going through this recently concluded season shouldn't really bother with April 2018 since it's going to be more of the same.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Season 3 #1

It's probably just me, but I find the lyrics for each season of Hoozuki getting less catchy. The OP animation is probably the best of the 3 seasons but despite the usual corny lyrics I don't think the OP song "takes" quite as well as the last two seasons. As for the animation, it's a good guide as it introduces who shows up in this season's adaptation.

The first half is a brief introduction to scams in Japan and the history behind them. Funny how the "Ore ore" scam is still going strong even though I first heard about it five years ago. What I like about this episode is it ties in with the season as April is traditionally the time when new workers start their jobs having passed the entrance tests and interviews. While we're at it, Ka sha is FINALLY introduced formally in this episode having been given cameo appearances in season 2.

The second half is the more traditional slapstick comedy that anyone can relate to. Shirou is simplistic and straight-forward when it comes to free food with predictable results, but the capacity of the Zashiki Warashi when it comes to cuisine featuring red beans is stunningly high. Needless to say, Hoozuki himself absolutely lives up to his social position when it comes to appetite and a tolerance for exotic foods.

Another ED AMV featuring Peach Maki, but I prefer the visuals from the second season ED to this season's offering. The song is fairly unremarkable but there are a few giggles to be found in the animation and the lyrics which are sung at specific moments.

For next week, I remember one of the halves but not the other. Like the last season, the animators usually cherry-pick the best nuggets from the 28 volumes released to date for public viewing. They've not really put a foot wrong thus far so I'm happy to sit back and enjoy the quarter while it lasts.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:28 pm Reply with quote
The stripping hag returned after I think being largely absent from the second season. Ichiko and Niko have well decided their place as series mascots.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:00 am Reply with quote
I liked how this episode seemed to be more coherent this time, with one sketch flowing naturally into the next instead of the usual 2 or 3 unrelated segments. The new hires were a great group, as were all the new mascots. There wasn't anything uproariously funny, but was just a thoroughly relaxing good time in Hell.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:15 am Reply with quote
The look on Ichiko and Niko's faces was both hilarious and horrifying at the end. I thought they would be made to look like a doll somewhere along the line, but the Shinku look was a surprise.

There has been a good amount of call-back to characters who appeared earlier on, too.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6