• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Dagashi Kashi Season (TV) (both seasons).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:57 pm Reply with quote
@Beltane70

I think the actual plot was just to discuss various retro candies and snack foods. Kokonotsu's aspirations to be a manga artist were just a gimmick to make him reluctant to take over the store. Given the amount of traffic the store had during the show, he could have done both with no problem.

If you think about it, what he was being asked to do was commit to sitting in that single room for the rest of his working life. He would have to have something to do to keep from becoming stir crazy.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Season 2 aired today.

It's noticable for being 15 minutes rather than the regular length as the previous season.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Treeborn

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:31 am Reply with quote
Season 2 Episode 3:

Probably my favorite episode of Dagashi to date. With all the screen time and focus Hotaru gets, I was disappointed that we never really got an episode dedicated to just her, or at least a lengthy peek at her past or personal life. And while this flashback didn't tell us much about her character that we didn't already know, it was nice to see a glimpse of her passion for dagashi as a child.

I noticed that while Hotaru's personality was still considered strange as a child by others, it was nowhere near as eccentric as it is in the present. It could be that her passion increased with time, or maybe it was barely blossoming at that point. Her knowledge of dagashi history seemed to have holes while quizzing the shop owner, so I'm inclined to believe it was newfound information to her. Of course, I could just be reading too much into it. Hope we get a better look at her past though.

Sucks that the old shop owner didn't show up at the end to deliver a final comment, but still a solid episode as far a Dagahsi Kashi goes. Also, really wish the series could have kept the first season aesthetic Sad
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:12 am Reply with quote
I kinda figured he'd passed away and that was the end of the shop. Usually if you decide to close up, you take down your signs to call it quits. This was more like the shop died along with him and the landlord hadn't cleaned up the lot yet. Or if you prefer, maybe he just said screw it and walked away, and he's sunning on a beach somewhere noshing on Umaibo and Kit-Kats. Smile
Treeborn

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:15 pm Reply with quote
P-P-Passed away?? I'll take that latter option lol I mean, there was that point in the flashback where he stated it's possible children no longer have interest in dagashi, so he at least understood his products limited demographic. He might have closed up after his small business had struggled enough, and the landlord couldn't find anyone interested in purchasing such a small space.

Although, there is something commendable about the old man selling a product he believed in until the end, despite the monetary loss. So, I'd actually be OK with that as well.

At the very least, we now know Hotaru has witnessed the diminishing market of dagashi first hand, which makes her determination to keep the business more admirable.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:44 pm Reply with quote
I kind of like the ED song of this show, it sort of remidnds me of GJ-Bu for some reason.

Gina Szanboti wrote:
Or if you prefer, maybe he just said screw it and walked away, and he's sunning on a beach somewhere noshing on Umaibo and Kit-Kats. Smile

Kit-kats, they will stop you from jumping off bridges.
Wonder who would even get that?
Treeborn

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:07 am Reply with quote
Episode 4

Another home run episode for Dagashi Kashi! I asked for a deeper understanding of Hotaru's character, and it seems the series is now poised to deliver exactly that. In this episode alone, we see Hotaru has a serious side to her personality, understands perfectly well the reality of her endeavors at Coco's small town, and carries some pretty heavy emotions about her time spent there. And it looks like next week, we're going to be exploring those aspects of her even further, which I feel is about damn time. Don't get me wrong, I've enjoyed the zany antics of Dagashi, but as a series with a definite purpose (Hotaru wants to convince Coco to inherit his family's Dagashi store), it can only go so long without addressing that purpose.

I also mentioned last week that Hotaru seemed different as a child, less eccentric, and I thought maybe she just wasn't as passionate about Dagashi at the time. But now, I'm thinking it's possible thats how Hotaru typically behaves, and what we've seen this entire time is only a personality that surfaces when she's around Coco and friends. She almost seemed like a different person in this episode is she was building up to the goodbye, sort of like easing back into a norm now that she had to go back to her daily life. She looked so sad!

Can't wait too see what happens next week. And I hope we can continue this change in narrative for at least a few more episodes.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Treeborn wrote:
And it looks like next week, we're going to be exploring those aspects of her even further.

Or not. Smile I am curious now what she's up to though.

I enjoyed the father-son bonding moment, even if I find the shop's transformation a bit hard to believe. There was a whole lot more wrong there than cleaning and reorganizing could fix. Like, there was almost nothing left to reorganize. How did he replenish all the stock so fast?
Treeborn

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, that was a bummer :/ I assumed we would because of Hotaru's appearance in the preview last week, but, alas, I was wrong...

What, you mean all the rotted wood, cracked glass, and broken fixtures? Nah, nothing a little spit shine and montage couldn't fix Very Happy That was some serious elbow grease they put into that place.

I'm still really liking the shift in tone the series has taken. Don't think this counts as a spoiler, but I checked out the manga (which is only translated till this very episode), and there was a note from the author stating something along the lines of receiving more creative control over Dagashi Kashi, hence the shift in tone recently. Apparently, this is what he had always intended for the series, and plans to maintain it for as long as he is allowed to.

I personally am ecstatic to hear that, as there is a lot he can do with the characters now that we have spent a good amount of time with them. Here's hoping we get some good heart to hearts in the near future!
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:29 pm Reply with quote

Lol at the debt collector game. I sense true love in the air...

I have to say I'm wondering whether convenience store manager might be related to Hotaru. They both have the same style, and the same concentric circles for eyes.

I'm ready for her to come back now though. I really want to see her vs manager.
Treeborn

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:30 am Reply with quote
EPISODE 10

I was wondering if we were ever going to see Hajime drink, with that key art from months ago lol She's awesome though, her knowledge compliments Coco's well, while Hotaru's sort of overshadowed it. But yeah, still digging to new style, keeps me waiting for the weekends to come ( this is honestly the only series I'm watching this season. Dropped everything else).

Gina Szanboti wrote:
I'm ready for her to come back now though.

That preview from next week though! Could it be?! Has the time finally arrived?!
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:00 am Reply with quote

Hah, I was right, they are related. Very Happy And that needs a whole nother season to explore. This was pretty good, even with shorter episodes, but I still think it might've been a mistake to write out the main character for most of the run.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:37 pm Reply with quote
I think so too. No Hotaru took way too much wind out of its sails, along with the lack of atmosphere afforded by shorter running time. Now, I do want to see a conclusion of what the deal is with her, her brother, and companies. It never feels like it has revealed exactly what Hotaru is involved in, so I would be interested in something that could perhaps focus on that, even if they have to forego some dagashi gushing, because I don't mostly just keeping that, was something that kept this season stay strong.

I rate the second season as So-so (5/10), I think it failed to really keep attention, even if it was a sequel to series I thought was fairly good.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5