• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Was Inuyashiki Worth Watching?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KH91

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Every Oku series is worth watching. His stories are amazing...but that's just me. Cool
FackuIkari

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:04 pm Reply with quote
I really don't think it deserves this much hate

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:27 pm Reply with quote
people who say it ended badly is nonsense, IMO, and i felt the characters were all very realistic. i beat the 90% of people on this planet who saw the logan paul hanged man discovery laughed on the inside when they saw it, then acted like they cared in public.
G S Palmer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:34 pm Reply with quote
I don't know, I enjoyed this series. It was definitely immeasurably better than Gantz (in my opinion), and it actually had some well-done emotional moments. And the OP was just... fantastic.

But you got me with that The Room joke at the end.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:41 pm Reply with quote
I found it worth watching. I'm a huge Gantz fan (anime and manga). I did feel that Inuyashiki's last third went downhill from what went before, but not to a degree that turned me off. Ichiro's encounter with yakuza was a fantastic episode and featured one of the most adorable anime couples I've come across.
Niello

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Pretty much why I'm not on board with watching the anime when I saw episode 1. They rushed through the good part, which is the early focus on Inuyashiki to focus on Hiro instead. If they go for slower pacing then at least I could enjoy more episodes.
TasteyCookie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:07 pm Reply with quote
This show was a complete let down for me. I was very excited to watch it not only because of the source material, but I also liked the first 2-3 episodes. Then after that it just had no idea what it wanted to do. Started getting worse and worse until the horribly handled ending. Not that the ending itself was bad, it was the way it came out of nowhere and how it was directed that was pretty garbage.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:53 pm Reply with quote
I think the show has a traditional view of morality in that some people choose to be evil when they can get away with it and that only the fear of consequences keeps them from doing evil. Some people shrug their shoulders and say "Obviously" but other people are really bothered by that idea since it means that a peaceful human utopia is literally impossible. Also the behavior of some of the people in the show is a bit much but considering the narcissistic behavior I have seen in the real world it is not that much of an exaggeration.
russ869

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:28 pm Reply with quote
GANTZ and Inuyashki (which I both love) have a very cold, unemotional, existentialist tone. Both of their main characters experience a similar situation where the original person that they were died and the person we follow for the rest of the story is a copy, a collection of matter assembled by incredibly advanced technology that merely looks and thinks and acts like they did. Oku does a lot to get us the reader to think about the implications this has on consciousness, the soul, and the value of human life. But it is almost strange how little the characters themselves seem to think about it. To the point where when the characters of GANTZ finally had a serious existential crisis in the penultimate volume, it came off as sort of ridiculous. Why hadn't any of this bothered them up until that point?

A lot of what Oku does is just for the shock value or "rule of cool." I mean, GANTZ introduced vampires by having the main character's brother go to a seminar where the lecturer began, "Hundreds of years ago, nanomachines..." I REALLY want to know how that sentence ended!!!

But at the same time GANTZ has some arcs that are very emotionally effective. Spoiler (vol 15-16):
http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/1/19373/2957020-gantz+v16+c184+-+10.jpg

The best section of GANTZ is definitely volumes 8-20. In other words the part immediately following where the awful TV anime went away from the manga. Mainly because this is the part where Oku builds a cast of characters who you actually care about and Kurono starts to become a more likeable character. There's a terrifying arc in that section where one of Kurono's classmates paints himself in blackface and guns down hundreds of people in Shinjuku. I kept thinking throughout Inuyashiki that this is basically just an entire series of that.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I mean, you're a young feller Nick, would this be your response to 100 people getting gunned down through their smartphones in one day by a guy who says he's gonna kill 1000 more that afternoon?

People today, 95% of them would have that reaction. They wouldn't believe it and if they did they'd be all "Well that would never happen to me!"
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:15 pm Reply with quote
I liked Inuyashiki as a silly, over-the-top ridiculous MALE POWER FANTASY. Not unlike a Hollywood movie with tons of explosions. Oku likes to depict violence and violence in response to violence. Some scenes seemed geared to get the reader to fantasize about being the most powerful guy in the room. Hiro's rampage against internet trolls was meant to be cathartic and have the reader identify with Hiro, even though he was depicted as a monster before. I'd even argue that the huge Yakuza dude was written to entice some guys to want to be him--the type of guy who's so big and powerful he could take whatever he wants.

The series would have been so much better if Hiro were more balanced toward sympathetic, and if there were more focus on the side characters, particularly Naoyuki Ando who had a potential for a decent arc all his own. Ando went from shut in to side kick as he worked with Inuyashiki to stop his former friend. He and his emotional conflicts should have gotten more focus and he could've been the heart of the show, the midpoint between the two archenemies who had issues to overcome and no powers of his own. I would also have liked to see more scenes with Inuyashiki's son, who also dealt with bullying in a plot that was never well fleshed out, and his daughter, who got some good scenes in the last few episodes.

So it could have been better, but it was an interesting spectacle as it was. And I'll always support the weaponized elderly! We need more Super Grandpas! (Special shout outs to My Hero Academia and One Punch Man for including old guys in their superhero rosters!)
Calsolum

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:33 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed it, if only cause having this old dude as the protagonist was such a different change from most male power fantasies.

I also sorta saw this as a japanese version of breaking bad.

Can you imagine what would have happened if walter white and jesse pinkman were killed and then replaced with super life saving/killing machines?

Well you don't have to, just watch Inuyashiki.
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Remarkable how somebody could be this cynical about one of the most genuine, heartfelt, and human shows to come out in quite a while.

Inuyashiki is a beautiful show with a pretty vital message, and a far cry from Gantz. Everyone should watch it.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:41 pm Reply with quote
russ869 wrote:

Mainly because this is the part where Oku builds a cast of characters who you actually care about and Kurono starts to become a more likeable character.

A so called likeable character who kicks lonely girls out of his apartment because they won't have sex with him (all the while being into his best friend), Despite having faced life threatening situations before (including already having died once before) cries like a punk when nearly getting killed, after going through the trouble of helping a new generation of players learn how to survive decides to quit to live a peaceful life with his father chested girlfriend and subsequently gets killed in part because he can't remember any of the survival skills he learned over the course of playing the game (do to having his memory erased because of the last bit).
tintor2

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:00 pm Reply with quote
What if instead of cancer, the person is disabled due to an accident?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2