• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Part 3 GNs 2-3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Merxamers

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:05 am Reply with quote
The fight against the "Devil" stand user has, imo, one of the outright funniest moments in the whole Jojo series; spoiler[when Polnereff first goes in his hotel room, and he's like "Hm, what a nice room, nothing going on here-HAH!" and stabs the fridge, where the stand user is hiding. "How did you know where i was?! "You idiot! You moved all the stuff out of the fridge!", and we see a pile of condiments and drinks 2 feet from the fridge Anime hyper made me crack up really hard the first time i read it.]

Cultural sensitivity notwithstanding, i agree that this is an enjoyable part of the series. Centerfold (i forget if that's the actual japanese name or not) has a great ability that results in a thrilling fight, and the road trip vibe works for me; we get several pretty great comedy moments. Great manga, and i'll thrilled these Jojonium volumes came state-side (fingers crossed we eventually get Part 4 over here too!!)
crazieanimefan1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The very fact that Dio is currently using the first JoJo's body, Joseph's father Jonathan Joestar, may be important to this; it's because of the Joestar blood that Dio can find Jotaro and Joseph, so it stands to reason that the living Joestars can somehow use that same connection to their advantage further down the line.

Kind of a correction. Jonathan was not Joseph's father, but grandfather. Jonathan's son was Joseph's dad. Cool spoiler[Jonathan never had the chance to even know Joseph at all, he died before his son was born in the first battle against DIO which lead to DIO snatching Jonathan's body.][/quote]

Last edited by crazieanimefan1 on Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Who else saw Hol Horse on the cover and thought that he was Gyro, even for a second?
russ869

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:42 pm Reply with quote
"Cultural insensitivities?!" Stardust Crusaders has the 100% most accurate depictions of Singapore, India, Pakistan, United Arab Emirates, and Egypt in anime!!
explosionforgov

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Merxamers wrote:
Centerfold (i forget if that's the actual japanese name or not) has a great ability that results in a thrilling fight, and the road trip vibe works for me; we get several pretty great comedy moments. Great manga, and i'll thrilled these Jojonium volumes came state-side (fingers crossed we eventually get Part 4 over here too!!)

It's not, his original name was J. Geil. To avoid copyright infringement, Araki suggested they change it to Centerfold, since that's the J. Geil Band's best-known song (that "My angel is the centerfold" one). We're supposed to still be getting Part 4 eventually, but I don't think they made Jojoniums for anything past Part 3.

Takkun4343 wrote:
Who else saw Hol Horse on the cover and thought that he was Gyro, even for a second?

Araki mentioned in his author's notes of that volume that had Hol Horse spoiler[ joined the group], he would have just turned into Gyro. So it's probably for the best that he didn't (not that I don't love Gyro, I'm just glad him and Hol are each their own character).
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:11 pm Reply with quote
russ869 wrote:
"Cultural insensitivities?!" Stardust Crusaders has the 100% most accurate depictions of Singapore, India, Pakistan, United Arab Emirates, and Egypt in anime!!

I don't know if this would count as cultural insensitivity but one of the ways Polnareff and Kakayoin mitigate the ability of J.Geil's stand involves them purposely kicking sand in the eyes of the beggars surrounding them. Though they have good reasons for doing so the optics of that scene aren't exactly....positive.

Takkun4343 wrote:

I don't know how anyone could do that given SBR hasn't been given the Jojonium treatment that and Hol Horse doesn't have his name printed on his teeth.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Merxamers wrote:
The fight against the "Devil" stand user has, imo, one of the outright funniest moments in the whole Jojo series; spoiler[when Polnereff first goes in his hotel room, and he's like "Hm, what a nice room, nothing going on here-HAH!" and stabs the fridge, where the stand user is hiding. "How did you know where i was?! "You idiot! You moved all the stuff out of the fridge!", and we see a pile of condiments and drinks 2 feet from the fridge Anime hyper made me crack up really hard the first time i read it.]

Regarding Devil, spoiler[the Stand user did that on purpose, as his Stand abilities require the target to physically injure him before his Stand can start working.] It was still pretty funny though.

In hindsight though, I'm not sure what is so powerful about Devil as a Stand. It had a lot of physical strength for its size, but not any more than a regular human. It was just a lot more audacious. Polnareff found himself at its mercy entirely through the element of surprise. Then again, Devil seems to be able to pull exactly what it needs from around the area from behind its back, so perhaps Devil's real power is hammerspace?

explosionforgov wrote:
It's not, his original name was J. Geil. To avoid copyright infringement, Araki suggested they change it to Centerfold, since that's the J. Geil Band's best-known song (that "My angel is the centerfold" one). We're supposed to still be getting Part 4 eventually, but I don't think they made Jojoniums for anything past Part 3.

Bummer. But at least Viz has confirmed that Part 4 will be dubbed, so I can look forward to that at least. Now for David Production to get to Part 5, whenever that might be...
Kicksville

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:50 pm Reply with quote
explosionforgov wrote:
It's not, his original name was J. Geil. To avoid copyright infringement, Araki suggested they change it to Centerfold, since that's the J. Geil Band's best-known song (that "My angel is the centerfold" one).

On the upside, the references of the alternative namings have often been delightful in their own silly way.

"Time to perform some dishonest acts at a fair and reasonable price!"
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:08 am Reply with quote
Kicksville wrote:
On the upside, the references of the alternative namings have often been delightful in their own silly way.

"Time to perform some dishonest acts at a fair and reasonable price!"

Not to mention the legendary Flaccid Pancake.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:50 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The only odd note in the translation is Jotaro's catchphrase “good grief.” While it does show that he's a much nicer, emotionally softer guy than he appears, it also makes him sound like a badass Charlie Brown, which can be distracting.

I don't really see it that way. It's just an expression of annoyance. They could have similarly gone with "Gimme a break", "Geez", or "What a pain", but those are said differently in Japanese.
veemonjosh

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
having left Japan to find Dio and the kidnapped Holly

Holly wasn't kidnapped, she's sick in bed with a supernatural affliction back in Japan. The quest is to defeat Dio so she'll be cured. Razz
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:48 pm Reply with quote
?! Shocked I thought they took Holly with them! I'm sorry, that's my bad!! Embarassed

@belvadeer

I guess I just read too much "Peanuts" as a kid. Wink
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
@belvadeer

I guess I just read too much "Peanuts" as a kid.

Haha, you and me both. XD
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:58 am Reply with quote
Same here. I watched The Peanuts Movie on its opening week too.

(It didn't let "good grief" bother me though, probably because I've known people who actually say that.)
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Having Holly needed to be found definitely would've made things interesting where Kakayoin is concerned Razz
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1