• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Traffic Accidents Top List of Causes of Death for Isekai Protagonists

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:51 pm Reply with quote
From the final paragraph: "tanker truck in a classroom".

Even being inside a building can't protect you from trucks in Japan.
Morry

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Truck-kun just wants to be loved and pursues them earnestly. Even if the love can only end in tragedy.
CatSword

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Which novel has the protagonist die from a banana? Does he choke on the banana? Slip on a banana peel? Was his home world taken over by mutant bananas? I am very intrigued.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RahviTheColorful

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:47 pm Reply with quote
What does "accident" even mean there? Some other stuff listed are clearly accidents, but they don't count? Or do they count twice?
Are there 37 truck accidents plus 38 traffic accidents without trucks involved, or are there 38 accidents of which 37 are with trucks?
This list is confusing.
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:09 pm Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:
Which novel has the protagonist die from a banana? Does he choke on the banana? Slip on a banana peel? Was his home world taken over by mutant bananas? I am very intrigued.

Steins;Gate? Confused
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Usagi-kun wrote:
CatSword wrote:

Steins;Gate? Confused

Not sure if other timelines could count as other worlds...
Xavon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:25 pm Reply with quote
This list is unclear. What is 'choose to reincarnate'? Does that mean they didn't actually die, but just decided to reincarnate anyway? What about people who didn't actually die, but got summoned or wandered into a portal or something?

Or like Smartphone? God dropped a cup on him, and gave him a choice to reincarnate. Is that accident, God, or choice to reincarnate? Or all three?
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
Usagi-kun wrote:
CatSword wrote:

Steins;Gate? Confused

Not sure if other timelines could count as other worlds...

This is not meant to be a direct challange, but I honestly can't think of another anime with a sort of banana induced...relocation? But who puts a banana in a microwave anyway? This guy, apparently.

https://youtu.be/LeVSAnLUXdk
AnimeBoy16

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:01 pm Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:

I just read the first chapter of a manga called "Dungeon Nursery" in which the main character dies from a head injury and gets sent to another world after slipping on a banana peel.
switchgear1131

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Which one does Kazuma from konosuba fall under because he died from shock.
Cerceaux

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:19 pm Reply with quote
I though death by mochi sounded silly but according to Wikipedia it sends 100+ people to the hospital every year from choking on it. Shocked
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:57 am Reply with quote
Something I want to be clear about regarding this article: When it says "main characters," is that only the protagonist, or is it all important characters who die and wind up in another world?

For some reason, in discussions about anime and manga, "main character" and "protagonist" are often used interchangeably, whereas, at least based on what I was taught in narratology, a protagonist is a specific type of main character.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:54 am Reply with quote
Not surprising, since traffic accidents are also the chief cause of parental backstory death (among other types) across anime/manga/LNs in general.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:18 am Reply with quote
This would explain why Fuuka has become scared/angry towards truck drivers. Wink
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:23 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Something I want to be clear about regarding this article: When it says "main characters," is that only the protagonist, or is it all important characters who die and wind up in another world?

For some reason, in discussions about anime and manga, "main character" and "protagonist" are often used interchangeably, whereas, at least based on what I was taught in narratology, a protagonist is a specific type of main character.

"What’s the difference between Hero, Main Character and Protagonist?" is a 7/26/2005 article by a writer named John August. John gives some basic definitions.
Quote:

Hero
My incredibly-simplified definition: this is the character who you hope to see “win.” While it’s fine to think of Superman, or Aladdin, the hero doesn’t have to be noble, or courageous, or especially talented. As long as you’re rooting for him, that’s what matters.

Main Character
Just what it sounds like: this is the character who the story is mostly about. Confused? Often his or her name is in the title: Shrek, King Arthur, Tootsie, Citizen Kane.

Protagonist
The character who changes over the course of the story, travelling from Point A to Point B, either literally or figuratively. She learns and grows as the story progresses. Generally, Protagonists want something at the start of the tale, and discover they need something else.

Now, remember, most times, one character is all three of these things. For example, Ripley in Aliens is clearly the Hero (fighting the monster), the Main Character (the story is mostly about her), and the Protagonist (she reluctantly joins the trip, but ends up descending to the depths to fight for her “daughter”).

The same triple-aspect applies to Cher in Clueless, and John McClane in Die Hard. And it’s fine for movies to have “teams” of characters fulfiling these roles; in Charlie’s Angels, Dylan, Natalie and Alex are each Hero, Main Character and Protagonist.

However, in some stories, the Hero, the Protagonist and the Main Character are not all the same person. One very current example is Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

There’s no question that Charlie’s the Hero. You want to see him win that Golden Ticket, and for only good things to happen to him. Likewise, he’s also the Main Character — though Wonka’s a close second. While Charlie recedes into the background a bit during the factory tour, he’s still the main focus of the movie’s storytelling energies. When the Narrator talks, it’s mostly to fill in details about Charlie.

However, Charlie is not a classic Protagonist. Charlie doesn’t grow or change over the course of the story. He doesn’t need to. He starts out a really nice kid, and ends up a really nice kid.

In terms of Classical Dramatic Structure, that leaves us one Protagonist short, which leads to the biggest change in the screenplay versus the book (or the 1971 film). In our movie, Willy Wonka is the protagonist. He grows and changes. We see his rise and fall, along with his nervous breakdown during the tour. Charlie’s the one who’s always asking — ever so politely, in the Freddie Highmore Whisper(TM) — the questions that lead to Wonka’s flashbacks upon his rotten childhood. (In Classic Dramatic terms, that makes Charlie an Antagonist. Not to be confused with a Villain. Are you sure you don’t want to read about some squirrels?)

As I pitched it to Tim: Charlie gets a factory, and Willy Wonka gets a family. It’s the whole want-versus-need thing. Charlie doesn’t need a factory. Wonka really needs a family. Otherwise, he’s going to die a giggling misanthropic weirdo.

The Tumblr blog called The Fairy's Tales has an 4/18/2015 entry called "Natsu and Lucy are both the protagonists of Fairy Tail". It mentions that "Fairy Tail is mainly told in Lucy’s POV, but BOTH Natsu and Lucy are the protagonists.". Likewise, Inuyasha is mainly told through Kagome's POV but she and Inuyasha are both protagonists.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2