• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Physical Manga Volume Sales See 12% Drop in 2017

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kalessin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:06 am Reply with quote
crosswithyou wrote:
More people are switching over to ebooks. I still prefer to own physical copies of series I follow, but space definitely becomes an issue.

Yeah, I definitely prefer having the physical books, but I simply don't have the space anymore. Also, while I prefer to read the physical books, I want to have the e-book versions as well, because they'll last longer (as long as I get the DRM off them anyway), and so if I get the physical releases, that means double-dipping, and while that's worth it for some series, for many, it isn't. But ultimately, I think that the lack of physical space is going to be the biggest factor pushing me away from physical releases. I've been buying a lot of manga for years now, and eventually, it just takes up too much space - especially when you buy a lot of non-manga books and anime as well. And I'm living in the US in a mid-sized home, not in a small, Japanese apartment.
Coup d'État

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:14 am Reply with quote
I'd say this is pretty useless information, without the numbers for ebook sales to compare to.

IIRC, Shonen Jump's decrease in physical sales are about made up for in digital sales. That's something that tells us something.

Here, I'm not sure. It's quite a difference whether sales shift to digital, or just drop.
UncleDrew

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:57 am Reply with quote
İ don't get it, those are numbers are not comperable with 2016 reports. Am i mistaken?
Shinuki

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:34 pm Reply with quote
GainaxFanboy wrote:
Scanlations working on full steam

It's 2018 and people still believe in this big fat lie about "how scanlator is hurting manga sales"? lmaooo Laughing

This has nothing to do with scanlators, it has to do with people switching to digital, since 2016 the manga publishers have heavily adopt digital version of their magazines and manga volumes, today you can just basically buy the digital version of almost every manga in Japan and most of the manga magazines, is just a natural change, and even with that, physical volumes still selling great as always.
CandisWhite

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:08 pm Reply with quote
UncleDrew wrote:
İ don't get it, those are numbers are not comperable with 2016 reports. Am i mistaken?

From what I can tell, these numbers are for the entire print industry, not just manga.

A March 2017 ANN article lists "the combined 296.3 billion yen total of print sales (2016) of manga from both compiled book volumes and magazines saw a 9.3 % decrease from last year (2015)." However, digital was able to offset that so the overall market grew 0.4% (2016).

This article: "Magazine and manga volume sales (2017) amounted to 600 billion yen, down 10% from last year (2016), and books sold 715 billion yen, down 3% from last year."

We're missing the isolated manga print numbers and the digital tally; Perhaps those numbers were not released yet.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:08 pm Reply with quote
This is definitely because people have switched to digital not that people stopped buying manga. I now only buy 2 series in print the rest I buy digitally. But I actually buy more manga these days because I don’t have to worry about space.
SHD

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Aside of people switching to digital (storage space is pretty important in a place like Japan) there's also how manga is getting more and more expensive. I have the first volume of Kanno Aya's Otomen at hand, it came out in 2007 and cost 390 JPY. The newest volume of her latest series, Requiem of the Rose King, costs 490 JPY at Amazon as a physical volume. And these are bog-standard tankoubon releases, standard size, etc.

Personally I've been buying a lot more manga since digital is an option - finally I don't have to pay for shipping them literally to the other side of the planet! Although I'm pretty wary about ebooks (all that proprietary DRM/format.... if ebookjapan.jp goes down I lose all the manga I bought there!) but right now they're the best option.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:12 am Reply with quote
Shinuki wrote:
GainaxFanboy wrote:
Scanlations working on full steam

It's 2018 and people still believe in this big fat lie about "how scanlator is hurting manga sales"? lmaooo Laughing

This has nothing to do with scanlators, it has to do with people switching to digital, since 2016 the manga publishers have heavily adopt digital version of their magazines and manga volumes, today you can just basically buy the digital version of almost every manga in Japan and most of the manga magazines, is just a natural change, and even with that, physical volumes still selling great as always.

Scanlators DO HURT THE U.S. INDUSTRY or other industries that license manga outside of Japan because it's hard to compete with free even if the fan translation is crap because it's FREE!

What would hurt Japan is raw scanned manga, and yes, people are moving towards digital downloads, but free is still free, and it is very hard to compete with free!
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Scanlations also hurt because they can establish alternative translation choices in people's minds that make it hard to difficult to switch when the licensed version comes out.... and by providing competition when the official version makes completely unjustifiable decisions(I have a couple of series from Yen Press that have Japanese characters talking in Freedom units!).

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:23 am Reply with quote
CandisWhite wrote:
UncleDrew wrote:

From what I can tell, these numbers are for the entire print industry, not just manga.

A March 2017 ANN article lists "the combined 296.3 billion yen total of print sales (2016) of manga from both compiled book volumes and magazines saw a 9.3 % decrease from last year (2015)." However, digital was able to offset that so the overall market grew 0.4% (2016).

This article: "Magazine and manga volume sales (2017) amounted to 600 billion yen, down 10% from last year (2016), and books sold 715 billion yen, down 3% from last year."

We're missing the isolated manga print numbers and the digital tally; Perhaps those numbers were not released yet.

Ye my dude i realized that later and forgot to remove my reply, but i think that industry will not get a growth this year or even if it does it will be so small like last years. Aging, change of media in general, Japan and Global economy... Those reasons sound so easy solve lmao
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2