• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Recommendations for children.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MadMan400096

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Girls und Panzer. This sleeper hit of the Fall 2012 season is one of my biggest recommendations, with it's well executed action and plot, and general lack of reliance on fanservice (though there's still plenty of it; nobody's perfect Rolling Eyes).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:20 pm Reply with quote
GO HERE for the official thread for recommendations for children.

This seems to be an extra that was necro-posted.

Although the mods could just as well merge this one with the official one, most of the chatter in this one talks place during a period that that one was originally dormant.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:10 pm Reply with quote
IncompetentOverlord wrote:
EireformContinent wrote:
But now finding the rest of the series isn't a problem, so I wouldn't even show it to children.

Don't you see difference between 14 and 8 years old girl?

An 8 year old girl won't mind not being able to watch the rest of series until she's 13-14. That was my point.

I see the difference in age groups, but I think that Nana would be perfectly suitable for a kid about 10 years old. And a ten year old is still a kid.

Um....doesn't Nana have softcore love-making scenes? This is Ai Yazawa we're talking about.
So I'd have to say "NO. DON'T SHOW A KID THAT."
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Merged the threads.
partysmores

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:51 pm Reply with quote
It's been a while since I saw Trouble Chocolate but I remember it being pretty clean except for some cartoon violence and words like "crap"; basically nothing worse then what you'll see on Cartoon Network during the daytime nowadays.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:03 am Reply with quote
My favorite anime shows when I was between the ages of 7 and 13 were:

Dragon Ball
Dragon Ball Z
Saint Seiya
Yuyu Hakusho

They were quite violent, specially the last two, but these were the coolest shows when I was a kid. There is also Captain Tsubasa, about football (soccer in the US). So I would recommend these old series to the new generation of kids, though they must not be used to contemporary animation quality or else they could complain about it. When I was 10 I didn't care about animation quality, however.

While I loved My Neighbor Totoro as an adult, I guess wouldn't be able to grasp it as a kid, in fact, I would recommend it for people aged up to 7 years old and over 20 years old. People between the ages of 7 and 20 are simultaneously too mature and not mature enough to grasp it. If you know what I mean. Laughing

Last edited by Jose Cruz on Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:30 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:30 am Reply with quote
EricJ wrote:
THE Conan's certainly good for kids, but so incredibly hard to find (no dub, only fansubs), that showing to kids seems like it'd be easier just to rent Disney's Nausicaa and Castle in the Sky dubs.
We all know that's what the show became anyway, and it's just going to too much trouble to find out that Hayao sometimes rewrites his own stories.

I found each of these three works to be completely different from one another. Though the three all had the same Miyazaki's flavor of something epic and "pure". There is a dream sequence in Future Boy Conan which inspired the dream sequence in Nausicaa, however.

Anyway, Future Boy Conan is based on a novel, Nausicaa is based on Miyazaki's manga and Castle in the Sky was also influenced by the Nausicaa manga (the Dorok flying battleships showed up there and the Crypt of Shuwa inspired Laputa), but each of the three has its own very distinctive flavor and each of the three is a must watch for everyone who appreciates animation and highly recommended for kids between the ages of 8 and 14. They are not substitutes.

I think that around the age of 10 a kid should be able to read the subtitles of Future Boy Conan, anyway.
partysmores

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
IncompetentOverlord wrote:
EireformContinent wrote:
But now finding the rest of the series isn't a problem, so I wouldn't even show it to children.

Don't you see difference between 14 and 8 years old girl?

An 8 year old girl won't mind not being able to watch the rest of series until she's 13-14. That was my point.

I see the difference in age groups, but I think that Nana would be perfectly suitable for a kid about 10 years old. And a ten year old is still a kid.

Um....doesn't Nana have softcore love-making scenes? This is Ai Yazawa we're talking about.
So I'd have to say "NO. DON'T SHOW A KID THAT."

Eh, I have to agree with Chiibi; the DVDs have "PARENTAL ADVISORY: EXPLICIT CONTENT" right there on the front cover. Then again, Viz has been giving that for the stupidest reasons lately...

Also, I know I'm probably going to get sent right down to HFIL for this, but kids love FLCL. They just do. And if you're okay with mild sex references (really, nothing worse then what I see on children's Western cartoons like Regular Show), it's appropriate for children.
Darksorrow29

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:49 am Reply with quote
I also would NOT recommend NANA to children. Not to say they 'couldn't watch it' it's just that it can be a pretty depressing/serious/realistic series. That and I'm not 100% sure if it's categorized as shoujo or josei but it definitely is more josei to me.
yuna49

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:29 am Reply with quote
I revived this thread simply to mention that the R1 DVD release of Chi's Sweet Home is scheduled for March 31st with preorders available at RightStuf. For small children the lack of an English dub would be a problem, but for kids 8 and up it shouldn't be that much of a challenge.
Welkin Gunther

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:25 am Reply with quote
If you're expecting anime for much younger audiences then check out Idaten Jump or Crush Gear Turbo.
Set1229

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:24 pm Reply with quote
I am looking for suggestions, seeing as I am not wired for the gloominess in many more mature anime.

I have seen and adored Cardcaptor Sakura, Angelic Layer, Spirited Away, (does Aria the Animation count?), The Cat Returns, Mythical Detective Loki and Nuku Nuku TV.

I started Sugar: A Little Snow Fairy, it's cute and cheesy (which is good for me) so far.

Any others would be appreciated. Does not matter what year it came out.
Touma

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Set1229 wrote:
I am looking for suggestions, seeing as I am not wired for the gloominess in many more mature anime.

If you want to avoid gloom you should look at my list of "feel-good" anime. Be aware though that many of them are not appropriate for children.

For some that are for children the first that come to mind are:
Fancy Lala

Kamichu!

Petite Princess Yucie

I am a bit rushed right now but I will try to add to this later.
Teankun

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:31 pm Reply with quote
One thing I love about anime is how broad target audiences can be. Often this creates actual entertainment that the entire family can watch: stuff that is generally child friendly but won’t insult the intelligence of older audiences.
Here are a few of my favorites.

Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
A story about two siblings and a stranger trying to reunite with their families after a natural disaster. Does have a somewhat melancholic ending but still leaves with a heat warming message of things that are really important.

Trapp Ikka Monogatari
Almost anything part of “World Masterpiece Theater” (like Ghibli) could qualify, but “Trapp Family Story” really stood out to me. I recall I first found it on a torrent list and watched the first 24 episodes (the only ones posted) and fell in love with it. I especially liked the character designs and character development. For months I looked for other translations, while saving up to buy the officially released DVDs (even though they were the Region 2 Japanese) because the show was so good I wanted the actual creators to get my money so they make more of good anime. Eventually, I bought the Japanese DVDs and watched the rest translated.
BTW, only last week (after 43 years of my life) did I see The Sound of Music all the way through for the first time, and I dare say: the anime is better.

Denno Coil
I recall seeing on a Sci-Fi Channel documentary about anime (back in the late 90’s when they showed anime on Saturday mornings, that Hayao Miyazaki finds the term “cyber punk” repulsive, but if he ever did do a cyber punk anime, it would be a lot like “Denno Coil”
A childhood sweetness carries through this anime while looking super cool. There is some minor nudity and innuendo but nothing much worse than Totoro

What titles do you like?

PS, how do I vote on anime on the encyclopedia?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:55 am Reply with quote
@Teankun

Add the anime to My Anime which is located in My ANN above. Indicate that you have seen the show and you will be asked if you want to evaluate it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 21 of 22