• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Pokémon Enters the World of e-Sports on January 24

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Aren't there 802 Pokemon?
ThatMoonGuy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Romuska wrote:

807 by the time o USUM. And soon to increase if all speculation is right.
As for the article, Pokémon has arguably been a major competitive game for a while having had tournaments since the days of RGBY. There's this anedocte about the first team to ever win an official Pokémon tournament being composed of six Chansey and that causing the Species Clause to be put forth. Things changed a lot since then but Pokémon still remains the only (to my notice) turn-based competitive RPG. Whiiich is kinda of a bad thing since the battle system has grown extremely convoluted with ridiculous amounts of minor mechanics, a steep learning curve and a very high entrance cost. You need to have a full team of 6IV, good Nature Pokémon possibly with HA and maybe with some egg and event exclusive moves in order to seriously play online or in competitions. Done legally this can take hours for a single Pokémon.
If GF and TPCi really want to go the e-sport game they ought to streamline the proccess of Pokémon generation and make some big changes to the overall battle system. There have been talks running around about the Switch game bringing an active time battle system, sorta like Xenoblade Chronicles. If true, then we may be seeing Pokémon actually becoming a serious, highly competitive e-sport.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Romuska wrote:

It depends if you count Mega/Primal Evolutions and Aloha variants or not. A case can be made for either number.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:18 pm Reply with quote
^Competitive Pokemon is one of the most boring things I've seen. All of the videos I watch consisted of people switching back and forth between Pokemon for 90% of the match, and they'reusing most of the same Pokemon.

The fact this "esports league" consists of comedians and TV personalities tells me they're not taking it very seriously, which is good.
jrockfreak

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
^Competitive Pokemon is one of the most boring things I've seen. All of the videos I watch consisted of people switching back and forth between Pokemon for 90% of the match, and they'reusing most of the same Pokemon.

The fact this "esports league" consists of comedians and TV personalities tells me they're not taking it very seriously, which is good.

lol yea competitive pokemon isnt the most exciting thing to watch but to me most E-sports are boring to watch unless they are playing a fighting game or a sports game
ThatMoonGuy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:

It's not so bad if you know the reasoning behind the moves but a turn based RPG sure doesn't make for the most entertaining of sports. I assume you've watched singles 6v6, which is the Smogon model of battling. Switching is more common there than in the official (VGC) format which is doubles 4x4. Due to the differences that comes with that switching isn't as common.
If I were to compare it to a classic competitive sport, I'd say Pokémon is sorta like Chess or Shogi. It can be pretty exciting to watch if you can understand the reasoning behind the actions but otherwise it just doesn't work at all.
KH91

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Almost a week since this was announced. Come on, ANN. You should be first in everything connected to anime.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:22 pm Reply with quote
KH91 wrote:
Almost a week since this was announced. Come on, ANN. You should be first in everything connected to anime.

.......but Pokemon is a game series first anine franchise second.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1