• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Overlord (TV + movie).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:07 am Reply with quote
I thought this week's episode was pretty interesting in regarding with the info dump about the lizardmen tribes.

Crusch is also adorable and that ED song is stylish for this anime.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:03 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Cam0 wrote:
Episode 2So is it Ains' army led by the large blue tanky looking dude that's coming to kill these lizardmen?

That was my guess, too. I wonder what Ains has against the Lizzies? It's true that not a ton happened, but I actually found it kind of entertaining.

The tail ends of episode 13(1st season)and of the 2nd movie give viewers the initial motivation behind the attack.

(and yes that is indeed their mating call,..Maruyama enjoys nature)
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:54 am Reply with quote
Not really knowing how the Overlord main plot would be fitting in, I kind of started just thinking that I would be okay with just a series about Lizardfolk. I can dig some interesting non-human culture. Although, I keep thinking about what I know of the D&D version of Lizardfolk which are described as not having emotions as normal humanoids would think, that they might be thought as cold in reasoning with a value of what is practical and what they can eat, and pity those without scales. In D&D they have fascinating characteristics of not understanding why people would find it wrong to eat even their friends when they have died, might carry around fingers as snacks, spend their time turning bones into tools, and the sort not understanding metaphors things like Drax.

In basics, I think Lizardfolk and the like are fun for fantasy because on some fundamental levels should be different from humans, but not stop us from sympathising with them. Which was made the mating call bit so funny. A good characterization should be a mix of familiar and strange, which can be fun.

I guess though we did get a bit of a look that they are connected to the main plot, that it seems blue bug guy is leading the battle against them. I can come up with some thoughts, that the land they are planning to put the dummy base in will be in their land, maybe they want to test might against the Lizardfolk, or perhaps a plan to test the Lizardfolk themselves, wanting them to unite and actually use them as a united dummy force to protect their false base. Or even a first step to put control out further.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:59 am Reply with quote
Nordhmmer wrote:
Blood- wrote:
Cam0 wrote:
Episode 2So is it Ains' army led by the large blue tanky looking dude that's coming to kill these lizardmen?

That was my guess, too. I wonder what Ains has against the Lizzies? It's true that not a ton happened, but I actually found it kind of entertaining.

The tail ends of episode 13(1st season)and of the 2nd movie give viewers the initial motivation behind the attack.

Which would be great if I could remember the tail end of episode 13 or had I seen the second movie.
Cam0

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:51 am Reply with quote
I watched a bit of episode 13. What I understood is that to strengthen Nazarick, Ains is planning on creating an undead army. Albedo says that human corpses can only be made into undead level 40 or below. After that she suggests attacking a lizardmen village. So Ains plans to turn these lizardmen into his undead army? But why does Albedo specifically say human corpses then? Maybe lizardmen qualify as "humans". Maybe lizardmen can be made into undead over the level 40. I don't friggin' know.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:56 am Reply with quote
Cam0 - whuuuuu? You dont KNOW if lizardpeople can be made into undead over the level of 40??? I mean, here, we learn that in Grade 2. What a shocking indictment of the Finnish education system...

... Wink
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:35 am Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
I watched a bit of episode 13. What I understood is that to strengthen Nazarick, Ains is planning on creating an undead army. Albedo says that human corpses can only be made into undead level 40 or below. After that she suggests attacking a lizardmen village. So Ains plans to turn these lizardmen into his undead army? But why does Albedo specifically say human corpses then? Maybe lizardmen qualify as "humans". Maybe lizardmen can be made into undead over the level 40. I don't friggin' know.

That is the initial motivation given.

Maruyama started writing Overlord because he missed playing D&D and other LRPGs with his friends...why D&D/AD&D terms abound in Overlord.

Lizardmen are humanoids,so things that would affect humans could affect humanoids,baring racial benefits and or racial restrictions.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:41 am Reply with quote
I ain't gonna lie to y'all... I enjoyed Overlord (the first series) but I can't say that huge chunks of the show remain vivid in my memory. Blame my old man synapses, not the show. However, I thought the conceit was that while everybody assumes he's an evil Overlord, he is in fact a decent guy. Didn't the first season support that? I ask because the notion of turning free will lizardpeople into an Undead army doesn't seem to line up with my "decent guy" hypothesis.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:27 am Reply with quote
@ Blood-

Suzuki Satoru is becoming his character the overlord Ainz,part of Suzuki is very much still in control..but.
In the game YGGDRASIL,guild members roleplayed Aniz Ooal Gown as an evil guild, specializing PvP.
In the New World,Nazarick is an evil power and Aniz is a bit of an anti-hero (Maruyama enjoys the Spawn comic)

I apologize for the short blurb like answers..trying hard not to spoil this season's storylines.

Edit: Pay close attention to every mention of Demiugre's experiments dealing with scroll production...it is a long running joke in the light novel.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:33 am Reply with quote
@ Nordhmmer - ah, so that's what they are going for, eh? Basically, Suzuki Satoru's character arc is him actually becoming the persona of an evil Overlord. That's kind of too bad. I think it's more entertaining to watch a decent dude being "forced" to seem evil but trying hard not to be. I'm not sure how into watching a decent guy become a dick I'll be. Time will tell.
Cam0

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Lizardpeople are usually hostile towards the player in RPGs. So there's nothing wrong about slaughtering 'em all and turning them into mindless undead servants. Ains' good guy status is not in danger.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
Lizardpeople are usually hostile towards the player in RPGs. So there's nothing wrong about slaughtering 'em all and turning them into mindless undead servants. Ains' good guy status is not in danger.

What are you talking about??? That albino lizardgal was ADORABLE. I don't want her turned into an Undead solider, thank you very much. Plus, the other lizard peeps seemed okay to me. Didn't look like they were running around terrorizing humans or anything.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
@ Nordhmmer - ah, so that's what they are going for, eh? Basically, Suzuki Satoru's character arc is him actually becoming the persona of an evil Overlord. That's kind of too bad. I think it's more entertaining to watch a decent dude being "forced" to seem evil but trying hard not to be. I'm not sure how into watching a decent guy become a dick I'll be. Time will tell.

Hmm ,truly thinking of how to reply without typing out the plot lines of 12 volumes worth of light novel lol.

Non spoiler reply-
Suzuki is doing the right thing,as far as looking out for his friends' children,the NPCs of Nazarick. This leads quite a few very ugly and or morally questionable events.These "misunderstandings"/events happen because of his inability to just come clean on being just a regular human dofus,even then the NPCs have misread his confessions and still treat him as a brilliant leader.

A running joke in the Overlord community,that because of Aniz's extremely high luck stat,Fate sides with him so often,the man wins out by screwing up quite often.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:00 pm Reply with quote
@ Nordhmmer - interesting. Well, I'm definitely curious to see where things go. As long as nothing bad happens to Adorable Albino Lizardgal, it's all good.
Cam0

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
What are you talking about??? That albino lizardgal was ADORABLE. I don't want her turned into an Undead solider, thank you very much. Plus, the other lizard peeps seemed okay to me. .

No, I can't grow attached to them if they possibly face such a horrible fate. Must think lizardfolk are evil. They are evil. Evil.

Damn, I wanna ship the heroic lizard dude and albino.

No, no. They are evil.

On a serious note I like this setup. I'm not sure who I wanna root for. I'm hoping that Ains' group and the lizards reach some kind of mutual agreement.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 13 of 22