• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Godzilla: Planet of the Monsters

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:07 pm Reply with quote
This will be a trilogy,and Godzilla does look like Godzilla (seems they adapted the 2014 version Smile )

'Gojira: Kessen Kidō Zōshoku Toshi' is the 2nd film,not found the name of the 3rd film.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:32 pm Reply with quote
The best humans always get the least screentime. Captain Gordon in Final Wars, Watanabe and Walter White in 2014, etc. It’s a Godzilla trope. Even GINO had the awesomeness of Jean Reno for like...two scenes.
VinceA

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Most of the animation was fine but I wasn't thrilled by the actual Godzilla's animation. He seemed a bit indistinct.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:07 pm Reply with quote
The design looks good so I wonder if that's due to how big he is? Or something like that? Haven't watched it yet so I dunno whether or not I'd agree yet.

Glad to see the CG get some huge praise in the review, I really like the look of this (this studio does sci-fi so well! Loved their work on Sidonia and Blame) so I was hoping they'd keep up their streak of continual improvement. Good to hear they continue to do great work on the atmospheric backgrounds/setting art work too.

Sci-fi fits them so well so I'm glad to hear that they once again nailed that part and the thrills so much. Glad to hear about Yuko being good and likable even if it may take until the next parts to get more from the other characters besides the lead. At least it sounds like he's not stupid to go with all the anger if that's the case, which sounds promising. But yeah, sucks if there could have been a little more weight to it if he were more balanced, if that's the case.

Overall sounds great. Just need some time to watch when I can turn off the lights and fully dive in.

Last edited by DangerMouse on Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
In response to 20 years of failure, they now return to an Earth 20,000 years older

What? Does that mean they spent the first 19980 years not trying or there were 1000 Earth years for every one in space?
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Lemonchest wrote:

What? Does that mean they spent the first 19980 years not trying or there were 1000 Earth years for every one in space?

Time dilation.
MrSatyre

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:40 pm Reply with quote
I disagree entirely with the author's assessment of the main character's screen time. I felt that his driving force and unique perspective were carefully balanced in screen time and the rest of the supporting cast. I never felt that his angst and need for revenge were exasperating or exhausting; he's the only one who really wants to and believes defeating Gojira-San is possible, so why shouldn't he be bellicose? Considering the stakes, it's more understandable than being edgy and cool.
TranceLimit174

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:17 pm Reply with quote
MrSatyre wrote:
I disagree entirely with the author's assessment of the main character's screen time. I felt that his driving force and unique perspective were carefully balanced in screen time and the rest of the supporting cast. I never felt that his angst and need for revenge were exasperating or exhausting; he's the only one who really wants to and believes defeating Gojira-San is possible, so why shouldn't he be bellicose? Considering the stakes, it's more understandable than being edgy and cool.

Agreed. The franchise always works from the premise that humanity deserves Godzilla’s wrath. Haruo flips that concept on its head as he has every reason and then some to hate the king of monsters. I was with him all the way and don’t see why some viewers found him to be so unlikable. Granted, I watched the sub and apparently Haruo comes off worse in the dub.

Fantastic film overall and one of the best. As stated in the review, so much franchise history was lovingly interwoven into the film in addition to a great plot. Every character was pragmatic in their own way but I was able to sympathize with all of them on some level. The scene where the crew comes across the ruins is one I that I found particularly moving.

Also agree that this is not a movie for those that are new to or just casually aware of Godzilla.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:32 pm Reply with quote
TranceLimit174 wrote:

Agreed. The franchise always works from the premise that humanity deserves Godzilla’s wrath. Haruo flips that concept on its head as he has every reason and then some to hate the king of monsters. I was with him all the way and don’t see why some viewers found him to be so unlikable. Granted, I watched the sub and apparently Haruo comes off worse in the dub.

I'd also argue Haruo actually makes it a two way feud spoiler[with him essentially killing Big G's kid] which will probably have some consquences going forward.
Levonr

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:19 pm Reply with quote
I really like it, can't wait for the second with Mecha Godzilla.

TranceLimit174 wrote:
Granted, I watched the sub and apparently Haruo comes off worse in the dub.

Well the review was for the sub and none of the complaint was about the performance. I don't know but I thought he sound pretty good in the dub and didn't hate the character as much as others.
Sure he isn't an extremely likeable hero but I didn't find him super annoying either. I'm fairly neutral about him. I'd rather have a character like that than Inaho Kaizuka...
getumbuck

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Man all of these characters look like they belong in Psycho Pass, lol

I know, I know, Gen Urobuchi wrote this film.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Levonr wrote:
Well the review was for the sub and none of the complaint was about the performance. I don't know but I thought he sound pretty good in the dub and didn't hate the character as much as others.

Sure he isn't an extremely likeable hero but I didn't find him super annoying either. I'm fairly neutral about him. I'd rather have a character like that than Inaho Kaizuka...

Cool. I've liked his VA in the couple of things I've heard him in so far so that's good to hear.

Yeah, I agree.
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:13 am Reply with quote
This movie felt incredibly Urobuchi to me, so I was happy. Multiple factions and societies forced to come together to defeat a monster? An aggressively passionate human main character, and then at the end, spoiler[yet another new society for them to connect with and learn from]. Urobuchi just loves pitting multiple philosophies against each other and watching them play out. I was less interested in the sci-fi jargon and exposition, but the heart of this story was solid.
In regards to the CG, I thought the spoiler[actual explosion of Godzilla 1.0] was lame as hell, but throughout the rest of the movie, things looked generally quite good, and the expressiveness and natural movement of many characters was quite good.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:50 am Reply with quote
It is nice to see some anime movies are getting Eng. dubs quicker. Now when it comes to anime TV series that are to be simulcast/delaycasted on Netflix, I wish NF would go the Funi route: 1st simuldub episode airs the same week the 3rd-4th subbed episode airs. Sure, week after week of dub recording is time-consuming. However, I think people can enjoy and talk about it more online vs. recording all at once to have it binge-streamed.

Last edited by Kadmos1 on Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Southkaio

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:19 pm Reply with quote
I would like to know. Was this Godzilla anime dubbed in Los Angeles perhaps?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2