• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ken Watanabe Joins Detective Pikachu Live-Action Film's Cast

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mhora

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Good news! Sexy beast of a man!
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:59 am Reply with quote
Is it just me or is Ken Watanabe becoming the stereotypical Japanese man to cast in an American made movie that has some kind of Japanese reference?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CurseTheSky

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:15 am Reply with quote
Wandering Samurai wrote:
Is it just me or is Ken Watanabe becoming the stereotypical Japanese man to cast in an American made movie that has some kind of Japanese reference?

Does it really matter, when that person is the awsome Ken Watanabe?
MrSatyre

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:42 am Reply with quote
Ken, have you no pride? Did you squander your savings or something? Hoping none of your fans will see this movie? Yikes! This is going on your resume, y'know!
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:45 am Reply with quote
MrSatyre wrote:
Ken, have you no pride? Did you squander your savings or something? Hoping none of your fans will see this movie? Yikes! This is going on your resume, y'know!

The guy has a bunch of grandkids who are probably really excited that their grandfather is going to be in a Pokemon movie.
MadHi

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Wandering Samurai wrote:

No, I was thinking the exact same thing. Ken Watanabe is the go-to guy if you want some real Japanese in your non-Japanese version of a Japanese product because idiot fans somehow think it give the movie more cultural authenticity.

Personally, if it's gonna be the same guy over and over again, said authenticity becomes a gimmick.

It's bad enough some idiot though getting Ryan Reynolds was a good idea to play Detective Pikachu.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:52 pm Reply with quote
MadHi wrote:

It's bad enough some idiot though getting Ryan Reynolds was a good idea to play Detective Pikachu.
Someone's got to capitalize on the 14 year old Deadpool audience
Tempest_Wing

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:15 pm Reply with quote
To be completely honest the dude's probably the only Japanese actor from a handful of actors that both knows english proficiently and has Hollywood connections. So of course they'd cast him.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:19 am Reply with quote
MadHi wrote:

Given you had people actually expecting them to cast Danny Devito in the same role for no other reason besides "It would be funny" that's a bit hypocritical.

MrSatyre wrote:

The guy had a role in the Legendary Godzilla movie that of course some Gen1ers hate for reasons he'll be fine unless we're talking about his American fanbase.
BlueCatMage

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:02 am Reply with quote
Honestly, the first thing I thought was, "This ridiculous movie idea seriously still exists?"

Second thought, "Damn, now that Ken is going to be in it, I kind of have to go see it don't I?" -____-;
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Tempest_Wing wrote:
To be completely honest the dude's probably the only Japanese actor from a handful of actors that both knows english proficiently and has Hollywood connections. So of course they'd cast him.

Sad, but true.
KH91

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Don't worry Wandering Samurai. I had the same thought. It is what it is.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1