• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
No Anime Films Receive Oscar Nominations

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:11 pm Reply with quote
I think the main reason The Breadwinner was nominated is that it's distributed by GKids, which has clout with the Academy and the financial resources to mount an effective For Your Consideration campaigns to get the attention of those Academy voters otherwise apathetic about the Best Animated Feature category.

Even if GKids hasn't yet been successful at getting a Best Animated Feature win, their track record of getting one or two films nominated for every year since 2013 (plus Secret of Kells for 2009 and A Cat in Paris and Chico and Rita for 2011) speaks for itself on how effective it is at campaigning.

CORRECTION: I originally wrote that GKids had films nominated in the Best Animated Feature category "every year since 2011", but they didn't have any films nominated for 2012. Still, GKids having 10 films nominated in the Best Animated Feature category over 7 of the last 9 Oscars (including this year) is an impressive track record for an indie animation distributor.

Last edited by Tenchi on Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Coco will win for sure. Disney owns everything. Anime hyper

(It is a good movie though)
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi, really? Because Moana was awful, I couldn't finish watching it. I liked Inside Out though, that one was good although very cliched.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:02 am Reply with quote
Jose Cruz wrote:
Chiibi, really? Because Moana was awful, I couldn't finish watching it. I liked Inside Out though, that one was good although very cliched.

Lol I had no desire to see Moana either. But Moana didn't have Pixar's crew working on it. Inside Out and Coco did.

Coco's story and characters remind me so much of my favorite anime Anime hyper. But yeah, even shoving that bonus aside, it's very creative and well-done. Slightly predictable....but movies for general audience usually are. I think what made its popularity skyrocket was being accurate with Mexican culture representation too though. People appreciate this sort of thing nowadays more than ever.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:07 am Reply with quote
For people who didn't like Moana, here's breaking (11-month old) news: Moana lost the Best Animated Feature Oscar to what I think was the better Disney movie from 2016, Zootopia, so rejoice!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
KH91

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:17 am Reply with quote
Not even surprised. With this trend, I'm not even expecting any anime titles to win in the foreseeable future.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5