• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - DARLING in the FRANXX Has Only One Thing on its Mind

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LucianGreyfold

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Honestly I am enjoying this show greatly, let's turn back the clock and remember when Kill la Kill came out, I am pretty sure most people dismissed it thinking its some fanservice over the top action series just based on the first 3 episodes. I pretty much passed on Kill La Kill because it didn't strike me as something deep or interesting, but then on strong urging from a friend I started watching it and boy talk about judging the book by the cover.

I feel like Darling in Franxx is going the same route, there is an underlying point of this whole setup but it's not going to shove it all in our face, instead we are going to get a nice slow build up like Kill La Kill that is going flesh out the world, why the characters are the way they are, then hit us with a sudden change and everything will click into place.

Evangelion was the same way too, people went in expecting a giant robot weekly monster beat em up, but they got something way deeper and way more complicated and mature than anyone could have expected.

But like Evangelion this could crash and burn by the end, or like Kill La Kill it could provide something amazing and awesome.
Chrysostomus

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It doesn't even pretend to humor any perspective but a straight guy's, and honestly, I'm tired of it.

Quote:
It's definitely a problem that kinda comes with the show's decidedly straight-dude-perspective so far.

Quote:
Hey, if the series ends up becoming a scathing critique of heteronormativity....

Things the out-of-touch ANN columnists hate:
1. Sexual orientation-based discrimination.
2. Sexism.
3. Straight males.

Last edited by Chrysostomus on Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Look, I get that you want representation in your anime, that's all well and dandy, but can we please stop acting like focusing on heterosexual relationships is a bad thing? You may not have intended that, but the discussion really gives off that impression. Sometimes straight people want to make a sexy show about straight relationships. There's more than enough thematic meat to chew with that alone, so let's not overload the discussion with additional tangents before we're sure this show is capable of even handling what it's already set up.

As a whole, I'm not terribly impressed by Darling in the Franxx on anything other than a technical level so far (and even then, so much of the setting, shots and visuals are cribbed right out of Evangelion's playbook, so I can't even give it full credit on that score, either). The characters are uninteresting and mostly annoying (besides 0-2), the direction is unimpressive outside of action scenes, and the plot so far is uninspired. I'll give it a few more episodes, but I might be dropping this one soon.
SkerllyFC07

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:20 pm Reply with quote
There´s a guy that travels in some comment sections on this website saying "Yeah, I hope (insert mecha show) ends up being good, so that it shows to Voltron: Legendary Defender how you make a mecha show. Because Voltron is trash and it never uses its title mecha". But if he thinks this series is the answer to that, hahahaha, what a joke, congratulations. This series makes its mechas, and mecha action waaaaayyyyyy less important that the plot and themes, since the reviews here barely speak about how the mecha action is constructed.

Just because it features its title mecha less than it should, doesn´t mean that Voltron it´s trash. It´s just that you expected better.
Paulo27

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Chrysostomus wrote:
Quote:
It doesn't even pretend to humor any perspective but a straight guy's, and honestly, I'm tired of it.

Quote:
It's definitely a problem that kinda comes with the show's decidedly straight-dude-perspective so far.

Quote:
Hey, if the series ends up becoming a scathing critique of heteronormativity....

Things the out-of-touch ANN columnists hate:
1. Sexuality discrimination.
2. Sexism.
3. Straight males.
That straight male privilege though.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Here we go again...

It’s worth noting that much like Gainax before it, Trigger’s MO is shocking content to push a forward thinking message. Panty & Stocking at the end of the day was an anti-moe, pro women piece about embracing sexuality and rejection of male forced purity standards. If THAT could lead to such a message at the end, this will be fine.
Ashabel

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
Here we go again...

It’s worth noting that much like Gainax before it, Trigger’s MO is shocking content to push a forward thinking message. Panty & Stocking at the end of the day was an anti-moe, pro women piece about embracing sexuality and rejection of male forced purity standards. If THAT could lead to such a message at the end, this will be fine.

It's probably also worth noting that Panty & Stocking never tried to be tittilating beyond maybe 90 seconds of transformation footage per episode, as well as that Darling in the Franxx is not a Trigger show.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:40 pm Reply with quote
This might be the best show of the season which is both sexy and discusses gender issues. I find it interesting that making anime that is visually appealing to straight men is now considered to be bad in feminist ideology. The anti-fanservice argument seems to be based on the idea that men can't have anime shows made for them since some people don't like it. Of course anime shows that are made for women such as Free are great and wonderful. To say the least that double standard looks a bit suspicious.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:44 pm Reply with quote
SkerllyFC07 wrote:
There´s a guy that travels in some comment sections on this website saying "Yeah, I hope (insert mecha show) ends up being good, so that it shows to Voltron: Legendary Defender how you make a mecha show. Because Voltron is trash and it never uses its title mecha". But if he thinks this series is the answer to that, hahahaha, what a joke, congratulations. This series makes its mechas, and mecha action waaaaayyyyyy less important that the plot and themes, since the reviews here barely speak about how the mecha action is constructed.

Just because it features its title mecha less than it should, doesn´t mean that Voltron it´s trash. It´s just that you expected better.

But...Voltron is trash. And this show had mecha battles. Also Zero Two is better than that entire cast so far.

Anyway, this is a joint production between Trigger and A-1. One that has an idea and is very forceful about getting there. Episode 3 also toned down the T&A. Who knows? Maybe this will come together or it could fall apart in on itself. But again, the whole “heteronormative” thing is so dumb. Like talking about this is bad in and of itself.
meiam

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:50 pm Reply with quote
LucianGreyfold wrote:
Honestly I am enjoying this show greatly, let's turn back the clock and remember when Kill la Kill came out, I am pretty sure most people dismissed it thinking its some fanservice over the top action series just based on the first 3 episodes. I pretty much passed on Kill La Kill because it didn't strike me as something deep or interesting, but then on strong urging from a friend I started watching it and boy talk about judging the book by the cover.

I liked Kill-la-kill when it wasn't trying to be anything deep and hard dropped it when it tried to have a message because its message was simplistic and poorly constructed. I'm uniterested in Franxx because its message is poorly constricted and simplistic ("teenager are horny" gee what an astute observation), that and the utter lack of originality (like the article say, a looooooot of mech show also say "teenager are horny").

Almost every mech show tries to be "deep" and most just forget the mech altogether or tries to make them into hamfisted visual metaphor. I just want a mech show that's about mech (cool machine build by people, not god/alien/magic gizmo). Crying or Very sad
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:53 pm Reply with quote
The feminists are coming for my mecha fleshlight fantasy! Oh noes!
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Lemonchest wrote:

Didn’t everyone flip out over Kill La Kill the exact same way?

And yet no one whines about Yuri on Ice.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
I find it interesting that making anime that is visually appealing to straight men is now considered to be bad in feminist ideology. The anti-fanservice argument seems to be based on the idea that men can't have anime shows made for them since some people don't like it.

Reeeally don't see how you're getting either of these from what Nick and Micchy are saying, which is largely that the show's thematic aims are muddled and undermined by both the camerawork and its limited conception of sexuality.
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Sooo.... I guess I should watch Aquarion Evol then??
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
Lemonchest wrote:

Didn’t everyone flip out over Kill La Kill the exact same way?

And yet no one whines about Yuri on Ice.

Nobodies flipping out over this, either. They're saying "I hope there's more to this cheesecake than just cheese." & people did whine about YOI, just as they purposely downvoted Showa Genroku episode reviews & still get irritated about Free! years later.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10