• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Hajime no Ippo's Protagonist Shocks Fans With Announcement in Latest Chapter

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Saku-dono

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Welp, this is sincerely disappointing. Been reading the manga for over 10 years and this... breaks my heart. But well, as a mere fan, there's no way to undo what already happened to Ippo. He's literally out of the league, his personality is still the same as ever and it's kinda frustrating. 1200+ chapters and he's still the ever-timid dude, I wish Morikawa had given Ippo the chance to brace confidence in himself, yet instead, he remained the goody-two shoes protagonist who does boxing mainly to reciprocate the Coach's dedications/efforts. Talk about depressing, but well, it's been fun while it lasted.
HueyLion

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Quite shocking news...but whats really shocking is how this has not gotten ANOTHER ANIME SEASON!!!
cloud8100

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I'm quite impressed to be honest. Shocked
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:40 pm Reply with quote
OtakunX wrote:
Well, huge difference was Daniel Bryan was forced to retire by WWE. WWE doctors refuse to clear him to wrestle despite doctors outside of the WWE have cleared him This seems to be Ippo's choice based on information given to him while Daniel Bryan was forced to due to being too over with the crowd and too high a risk factor for them. Bryan has already stated if the WWE wont let him wrestle that he will leave once his contract is up to wrestle somewhere else.

1. There is no such thing as being "too over". That is a myth. The more over you are with the crowd the more money you make for the company. Simple as that.

2. Daniel Bryan has admitted that he also had numerous seizures that he never told anyone about. That makes him a liability to himself and the company. If they cleared him and something happened that would look bad on the company. Also dude has a family now and needs to think about them.
cloudthe23

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:49 pm Reply with quote
I feel like Morikawa just gave us a big F@CK YOU with him making Ippo retire without him fighting Miyata or Ricardo, unless the retirement is just temporary and he does a 1-2 year time skip and Ippo decides to box again.
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Sorry if this is off topic, but could someone explain to me as to why both the manga and anime for this series remain unlicensed in English?
lemurs

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:25 pm Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:
Sorry if this is off topic, but could someone explain to me as to why both the manga and anime for this series remain unlicensed in English?

The original 75 episode series and TV special were licensed, dubbed in English and released on DVD. But its sales were so poor that it was a contributing factor in Geneon's NA branch being shut down. So it's understandable that no one wants to take a chance on the two followup series.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Now this is how to create comics, always keep your audience guessing and never take the easy path. Respect.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:
Now this is how to create comics, always keep your audience guessing and never take the easy path. Respect.

This is more how to end the comic and ensure no one tries to make any more after you're done.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:11 am Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:

Except that only works if it manages to pay off in terms of thematics or narrative. If it just turns to be a cheap stunt, those have a tendency to backfire. Badly.
MozillaYaseen

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:01 am Reply with quote
Morikawa will need to re-tittle the series....Hajime No Takamura sounds good to me. Laughing IF Morikawa is only done with Ippo as a character but not the series.

Last edited by MozillaYaseen on Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:08 am Reply with quote
manapear wrote:
Seeing that Morikawa had to take a hiatus for health though, was he fully recovered after? Or was it related to something chronic? Most are very aware with how physically taxing (and undoubtedly, mentally) being a manga-ka is.

Running weekly since sometime in 10/1989, I would imagine the manga-ka want to be almost as the point of wanting to finish. It would be an interesting plot twist if the series got a few times where Ippo announces his planned retirement but doesn't. In other words, Ippo would be pulling a Hayao Miyazaki.
Ushio

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:05 am Reply with quote
AkaRed wrote:
I'm so pissed at George Morikawa

He can Go slap himself hard with a bean steel Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

I felt like I was been throw into the face a middle finger and been asked to shut up, that's betreyal/treason, as a fan I'm felt dirty to been decieved and played like that.

Where are my Ichirō Miyata vs Makunouchi Ippo let along Ippo being world champ ! George Morikawa really ???? I so wish that there is Japanese fan backlash against George for this idea. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

So your pissed at an old man who wants to retire before the work load of a weekly manga kills him? okay this is what entitled looks like.
Tylerr

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:19 am Reply with quote
drscorpio wrote:
manapear wrote:
So Ippo "plans" to retire. It's not like he's retiring right away. Maybe he'll retire after the long awaited match. It could be before though. . .

I cant see any matches coming...

spoiler[If you are reading the current manga, I can only imagine Ippo retiring right away. Ippo's condition has been deteriorating for some time and the last fight pretty much clinched it. There is no way Ippo will be fighting Miyata or Ricardo with how the current story is.]

spoiler[actually, he went to the doctor and they said he was medically fine.]

he should retire anyway, his only redeeming trait was not losing.

Ushio wrote:
So your pissed at an old man who wants to retire before the work load of a weekly manga kills him? okay this is what entitled looks like.

not sure what you mean by this, the manga isn't ending...
Ushio

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:22 am Reply with quote
I've been reading Hajime no Ippo since 2003 and I am perfectly fine with Ippo retiring he may be the main character but he never seemed like the type to take a world belt. I'm honestly glad it didn't go full shounen bull shit main character wins it all at the end that's what Takamura is for lol
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3