• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll Adds Kiznaiver English Dub, Anisong Station Simulcast

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Maybe I will give it a re-watch.
levyanime

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Crunchyroll added Aniplex of America's English dub of Kiznaiver to its anime catalog on Wednesday.

Just a claification--Crunchyroll produced the English dub of Kiznaiver, not Aniplex of America. AOA only handled distribution of the home video release.

That being said, what a coincidence! I was expecting it to be added to Crunchyroll's service eventually, but not this soon! Funnily enough, I was just thinking about it, as well! Very Happy Glad to see that we won't be forced to pay an arm and a leg to watch the English dub! Smile

Last edited by levyanime on Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Silent_Ninja

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Normally I don't rewatch shows with wasted potential in English, but this will be an exception because this shares the same excellent ADR Director as Death Note and Inuyasha - both which also have excellent dubs. As a Canadian, I get tired of listening to American voice actors doing the majority of dubs and hearing a Canadian dub is a breath of fresh air. One of the benefits of watching a great dub is that it's far easier to spot a show's flaws when you watch it in your own native language.
levyanime

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Silent_Ninja wrote:
Normally I don't rewatch shows with wasted potential in English, but this will be an exception because this shares the same excellent ADR Director as Death Note and Inuyasha - both which also have excellent dubs.

Agreed. Plus, it's nice to see primarily Blue Water talent work on a non-toyetic/kids anime for once. Can't recall the last time that happened off the top of my head. I haven't watched the dub yet in full as I write this, but I'm sure with Willems in the director's seat, we'll be getting some great performances!

Silent_Ninja wrote:
As a Canadian, I get tired of listening to American voice actors doing the majority of dubs and hearing a Canadian dub is a breath of fresh air. One of the benefits of watching a great dub is that it's far easier to spot a show's flaws when you watch it in your own native language.

As a American, I can agree with that. Between this, Gintama and Beyblade Burst, It's nice to Ocean working on new stuff--especially with their Vancouver based talent. While I don't hate any of the Texas or LA-based English dubs that have come out of the past years, I simply miss these Canadian-based dubs.

It's almost crazy to believe how few Canadian-based dubs there have been in comparison, especially compared to the 90's and early 2000's where nearly every major distributor was using Ocean for their dubs. I know it's likely a cost issue, but it's still kinda sad in a way. Here's hoping that Crunchyroll continues to outsource more anime to Ocean in the future.
1dbad

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:14 pm Reply with quote
I've started watching the Kiznavier dub, and I'm already blown away by it. It is fantastic, and reminds me why I wish we would get more non-toyetic Canadian dubs. Hopefully Crunchyroll will continue giving Canada more titles to dub.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:55 pm Reply with quote
I've always enjoyed Ocean's dubs so I'm glad to see they're getting more work again and I hope they'll keep getting more work in the future. I enjoyed watching Kiznaiver subbed and I should give it a rewatch in the dub sometime. I'm glad to see it's on Crunchyroll and it's nice to see more dubs being added there.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:16 am Reply with quote
I just saw a few bits, and I'm personally not a fan at all. But I do agree that there needs to be more Canadian dubs and that Crunchyroll needs to put more dubs in general on their site.
Primus

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:41 am Reply with quote
Pretty much everything Crunchyroll gets involved with is gobbled up by Funimation for a simuldub. Outside of more Gintama, I don't think there's much for them to send to Ocean.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:39 am Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
Pretty much everything Crunchyroll gets involved with is gobbled up by Funimation for a simuldub. Outside of more Gintama, I don't think there's much for them to send to Ocean.

The shows that they themselves fully license don't have Funimation actors. However, they mostly give those shows to Bang Zoom for dubbing, as seen with Mob Psycho 100 and Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress, so Kiznaiver and Gintama are nice changes of pace. We'll have to hold our breath as to where other fully licensed shows like Twin Star Exorcists and (sigh) Big Order end up being dubbed.
Primus

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:23 am Reply with quote
Gintama, Kabaneri, Kiznaiver, Mob Psycho, Phoenix Wright, Bungo Stray Dogs, Berserk, etc. were all titles Crunchyroll likely contracted out prior to the Funimation deal being signed. I was referring to presently airing shows, which Funimation seems to have an iron lock on.
NJ_

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:41 am Reply with quote
@Gemnist: Kabaneri was done at Studiopolis, not Bang Zoom.

@Primus: Ace Attorney (Phoenix Wright) was done in-house at FUNi so that dub went into production after the deal was made.
TheMorry

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:18 am Reply with quote
levyanime wrote:

As a American, I can agree with that. Between this, Gintama and Beyblade Burst, It's nice to Ocean working on new stuff--especially with their Vancouver based talent. While I don't hate any of the Texas or LA-based English dubs that have come out of the past years, I simply miss these Canadian-based dubs.

It's almost crazy to believe how few Canadian-based dubs there have been in comparison, especially compared to the 90's and early 2000's where nearly every major distributor was using Ocean for their dubs. I know it's likely a cost issue, but it's still kinda sad in a way. Here's hoping that Crunchyroll continues to outsource more anime to Ocean in the future.

I dont mind Canadian-based dubs at all. However the dub needs to be of great quality unlike some of the productions from there. Gundam Seed/00, Shana S1, etc etc dubs are not per se bad at all. However the voices dont sound "clear" like its recorded with bad equipment or something. The recent dubs sound at least very promising indeed. hope they continue delivering this quality. The last few years the amount of anime with dubs increased so much that its good that there are dubs coming from other places than the studios of Sentai, Funimation and Bang Zoom.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:18 am Reply with quote
TheMorry wrote:
I dont mind Canadian-based dubs at all. However the dub needs to be of great quality unlike some of the productions from there. Gundam Seed/00, Shana S1, etc etc dubs are not per se bad at all. However the voices dont sound "clear" like its recorded with bad equipment or something. The recent dubs sound at least very promising indeed. hope they continue delivering this quality.

That was my problem with the original Black Lagoon dub. I love the show but it sounded like it was recorded in a tunnel or with some sort of filter. The Roberta's Blood Trail OVAs thankfully sound much better in comparison.

Quote:
The last few years the amount of anime with dubs increased so much that its good that there are dubs coming from other places than the studios of Sentai, Funimation and Bang Zoom.

I'm fine with Funimation handling a bulk of dubs since they are one of the more consistent studios out there when it comes to quality. Bang Zoom has some of the best actors around (a few of them coming from Funi) but their dubs are mostly average (most recent example being the Kakegurui dub) and Sentai also has good actors but they mostly suffer from lackluster direction.

All that being said, the more talent in the game the better.
1dbad

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:20 am Reply with quote
Primus wrote:

At least Gintama is a long-runner. But has that dub done well enough for more episodes to get dubbed?
Primus

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:48 am Reply with quote
1dbad wrote:
Primus wrote:

At least Gintama is a long-runner. But has that dub done well enough for more episodes to get dubbed?

There's been no indication the Gintama dub is ongoing. I was just using that as an example because, well, there isn't much else left.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1