• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games: Mario on the Big and Small Screen

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:36 am Reply with quote
Ys VIII: From what I've seen, the translation patch is a substantial improvement over the previous one, though of course people still feel the need to complain over little things here and there. I already fully completed the game quite a while back, so I'm going to need to start a new game if I want to see the differences.

Mario Movie: Illumination does pretty good work (Sing has to be my favorite movie of theirs), so we should give the studio a chance before we start screaming bloody murder. Plus, as stated, Miyamoto will be keeping a watchful idea to make sure they don't do anything to hurt his Italian moneymaking baby.

Quote:
Yes, I'm saying The Great Princess Peach Rescue isn't very good. It's weird and interesting, but it's not good.)

You're not wrong at all, Heidi. It's flat out garbage and I'm amazed people actually praise it so highly. Terrible as hell plot, bizarre characterization (lovesick Mario, greedy Luigi), unnecessary cute mascot tag along, and the worst offender of all: Bowser being voiced by a woman. Those Amano Mario fairy tales were a bit better, but still pretty stupid overall.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:46 am Reply with quote
None of the early Mario animated stuff was good because...there was nothing there. Didn’t hurt the bottom line.

Besides, Mario survived a cameo in Pixels. This has to be better.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:43 pm Reply with quote
I was only planning on getting FighterZ, but ended up going for Dissidia NT too - I tried out the open beta and was pretty impressed. Definitely a different kind of fighter, and I'm still finding the solo queue enjoyable. I remain nervous how long the player base will last since there's been some negativity around it, but it IS Final Fantasy, so there's that...all the more reason to be here early, I suppose.

I'm also greatly enjoying the English dub voices they got for the evil/ex-evil guys. "Welcome to my army!"
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:44 am Reply with quote
Quote:
For starters, Shigeru Miyamoto is listed as one of the movie's producers, meaning he has a good degree of control and has to sign off on a lot of things. Hopefully, if somebody at Illumination is like “ah, yes, we need a lengthy scene where Waluigi dabs,” he'll do a table-flip and say “HELL NO.”

This is the same Miyamoto that gave us (or helped give us) such gems as Paper Mario Sticker Star, Super Mario The Lost Levels, Star Fox Zero,Steel Diver, LM: Dark Moon, and Wii Music.

You give him far too much credit when it comes to slapping down nonsense.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:23 am Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Ys VIII: From what I've seen, the translation patch is a substantial improvement over the previous one, though of course people still feel the need to complain over little things here and there. I already fully completed the game quite a while back, so I'm going to need to start a new game if I want to see the differences.

Mario Movie: Illumination does pretty good work (Sing has to be my favorite movie of theirs), so we should give the studio a chance before we start screaming bloody murder. Plus, as stated, Miyamoto will be keeping a watchful idea to make sure they don't do anything to hurt his Italian moneymaking baby.

Oh, fans will be fans, and they will complain no matter what. From the creator's standpoint, there's just some point where you have to declare "good enough" and decide that whatever you spend on making it better will start hurting the business.

The Secret Life of Pets was quite nice too, but yeah, I was expecting Sing to be a disaster, but it turned out better than I thought. Illumination had problems dealing with multiple characters in a story, and here was a movie with an ensemble cast. It leads me to believe that Illumination is a company that's been pigeonholed into Minions-related things because they're so profitable and a financially safe bet.

(People also need to remember that before he got into video games, Shigeru Miyamoto was a cartoonist. That is, he is both an artist and a storyteller, so he knows a thing or two about what makes a good movie, more so than most other people making games, who were more likely trained in computer animation, science, and/or programming.)

Beatdigga wrote:
None of the early Mario animated stuff was good because...there was nothing there. Didn’t hurt the bottom line.

And then there's Sonic, in which the fans developed an unhealthy obsession with SatAM. Me, I couldn't stand it when I was little. It was too dark and depressing.

BadNewsBlues wrote:
This is the same Miyamoto that gave us (or helped give us) such gems as Paper Mario Sticker Star, Super Mario The Lost Levels, Star Fox Zero,Steel Diver, LM: Dark Moon, and Wii Music.

Hey now, Wii Music was a dream come true for gamers who were also into music theory. That was ultimately its downfall though: For a Nintendo game, it was a bit too impenetrable as it requires an above-average knowledge of music theory for it to be playable.
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:32 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
This is the same Miyamoto that gave us (or helped give us) such gems as Paper Mario Sticker Star, Super Mario The Lost Levels, Star Fox Zero, Steel Diver, LM: Dark Moon, and Wii Music.

Naw, I think she’s giving Miyamoto just enough credit as the two bolded games are not even bad at all and don’t really help you prove whatever point you want to achieve. Confused The movie has just been announced and even though we don’t know how Miyamoto will perform as a film producer, there are reasons to believe why it won’t turn into a complete dumpster fire when it releases.
Heishi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:03 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Quote:
For starters, Shigeru Miyamoto is listed as one of the movie's producers, meaning he has a good degree of control and has to sign off on a lot of things. Hopefully, if somebody at Illumination is like “ah, yes, we need a lengthy scene where Waluigi dabs,” he'll do a table-flip and say “HELL NO.”

Yeah, I don't consider Mario, Luigi's Mansion, or even Star Fox to be his grand failures.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:53 am Reply with quote
People should give the Mario movie at least the same benefit of the doubt they gave the live action Ghost in the Shell and Death Note movies. And we've had successful video game animated based properties before, most recently with Castlevania, so I don't know why people are assuming this has to be a failure. This is like when Blue Sky announced they were making a Peanuts movie and everyone freaked out because of their association with the Ice Age movies but the Peanuts movie ended up being a really good film.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Heishi wrote:
Yeah, I don't consider Mario, Luigi's Mansion, or even Star Fox to be his grand failures.

Yeah which why I said he "had a hand in" some of those things I listed as those things weren't entirely on him.

Joshua Zarate wrote:
Naw, I think she’s giving Miyamoto just enough credit as the two bolded games are not even bad at all

Not bad no, unnecessary in the case of Lost Levels which was basically the old school equivalent of adding a hard mode to a game that didn't have it in the original game. Whereas Dark Moon was basically a sub-par and somewhat lazy sequel to a moderately good game.

Joshua Zarate wrote:

and don’t really help you prove whatever point you want to achieve.

The point of which was don't put too much stock in Miyamoto being able to keep questionable elements suggested for the movie from winding up in the final product as he's allowed the opposite to happen in some of the video game's he's overseen if not came up with the idea himself.

Joshua Zarate wrote:

Confused The movie has just been announced and even though we don’t know how Miyamoto will perform as a film producer, there are reasons to believe why it won’t turn into a complete dumpster fire when it releases.

By the same token there are reasons to be cynical about the movie's chances
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:28 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Joshua Zarate wrote:
Naw, I think she’s giving Miyamoto just enough credit as the two bolded games are not even bad at all

Not bad no, unnecessary in the case of Lost Levels which was basically the old school equivalent of adding a hard mode to a game that didn't have it in the original game. Whereas Dark Moon was basically a sub-par and somewhat lazy sequel to a moderately good game.

I can understand where you’re coming from in most of your response to me and won’t argue with most of your points, but not here. Dark Moon was hardly sub-par and I don’t see any person ever agreeing with you on that front. It wasn’t lazy as it expanded upon the original. It wasn’t a lot, but calling it lazy is a bit much and rude. So, yeah, Miyamoto did fine for that one, at least.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Joshua Zarate wrote:
I can understand where you’re coming from in most of your response to me and won’t argue with most of your points, but not here. Dark Moon was hardly sub-par and I don’t see any person ever agreeing with you on that front.

I don't care if they do or don't to be honest. This is also not true as I've actually made this point else where and got more agreement on it's quality than disagreement.

Joshua Zarate wrote:
It wasn’t lazy as it expanded upon the original.

How?

By adding a mission based structure that required you to visit the game's separate locations multiple times before you could move on to the next location?

Adding in some nonsense about the "Dark Moon" affecting the personality of ghosts helping E.Gadd (which didn't exist in the first game and doesn't have an affect on all ghosts)?

Having you catch less Boos instead of the first game's 50?

Relating to the above having part of the plot be basically the same as the first game even to the point of having King Boo be the final boss?

Having you occasionally rescue Toads which you didn't have to do in the first game?

By having most of the ghost's designs be a step back from the ones in the first game?

Adding in gyroscopic controls that you also can't turn off?

Joshua Zarate wrote:
It wasn’t a lot, but calling it lazy is just oversimplifying things to a rude degree.

Wasn't trying to be rude secondly it's an opinion one that you're not obligated to agree with but shouldn't become incredulous over simply because you don't agree with anything stated.

Joshua Zarate wrote:
So, yeah, Miyamoto did fine for that one, at least.

IYOO
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:14 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Joshua Zarate wrote:
It wasn’t lazy as it expanded upon the original.

How?

Sorry, this is what happens when I comment in a hurry and tired. I meant to say that merely the gameplay is what evolved from the first game in good directions. Other things in the game didn’t (some of of which went backwards), but I forgot to mention that. My mistake.

BadNewsBlues wrote:
Joshua Zarate wrote:
It wasn’t a lot, but calling it lazy is just oversimplifying things to a rude degree.

Wasn't trying to be rude secondly it's an opinion one that you're not obligated to agree with but shouldn't become incredulous over simply because you don't agree with anything stated.

If you look back at my original comment, I didn’t use all the words you quoted me as saying. What I’m ultimately saying is that I disagree about the choice of words you used because it was too harsh to use for the game. Even if it was just your opinion, it simply wasn’t being fair on the people who worked on a solid game such as LM. But eh, I’m not going to drag this out anymore as it’s not worth it. I’ve expressed my neither right nor wrong piece on this, so I’ll be moving on now.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Initially, I was a bit wary of how the film of Super Mario will turn out, but with Shigeru Miyamoto being one of the producers, I think it has potential to be a fun watch. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1