• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Legend of the Galactic Heroes Anime Reveals Music Staff, Posts Main Theme

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:07 pm Reply with quote
For Anime Fans, the Original Anime Adaptation is the Original. Trying to argue otherwise is fussing over the wording. If this was Sci-Fi News Network, sure bring up the novels. LoGH is considered the pinnacle of the genre, and one of the top anime of all time.

I for one become more worried, that to put their own spin on this, they'll Try Too Hard. Part of the original's charm is Ishiguro rarely treated action, politics, and philosophical musings with he same weight.

I mean okay maybe a 'grand' opening theme will work for this. But do recall spoiler[The Free Planets never replenish their numbers all that much from the start of the anime. It is a constant march downwards. ] Romantic music in the 4 OPs were all exclusively for the Empire, and the melancholic EDs were all for the Free Planets. The music matched the quests of the two 'main' sides. Two noble goals one could sympathize with and discuss in depth. They are different sides.

But yeah my main point from my spoiler above was that this 'epic/modern' philosophy will not work with the long term themes or goals. The scale is meant to diminish over time, and the themes are timeless, needing no such modern updating. Heck the old OVAs used timeless classical music.

Also to me, these people know what they're doing will depend how simple they keep the battle diagrams. The original had color coded simple shapes flying into each other. Now with all of this fancy CG I'm almost sure they'll opt to be More Epic, More Huge, and Very Very Tryhard in their attempts to showcase the battles. This will not only make them more confusing to follow, but sidetrack their development. The battle diagrams will be the key to victory or defeat.
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:42 pm Reply with quote
H. Guderian wrote:

I for one become more worried, that to put their own spin on this, they'll Try Too Hard. Part of the original's charm is Ishiguro rarely treated action, politics, and philosophical musings with he same weight.

I mean okay maybe a 'grand' opening theme will work for this. But do recall spoiler[The Free Planets never replenish their numbers all that much from the start of the anime. It is a constant march downwards. ] Romantic music in the 4 OPs were all exclusively for the Empire, and the melancholic EDs were all for the Free Planets. The music matched the quests of the two 'main' sides. Two noble goals one could sympathize with and discuss in depth. They are different sides.

But yeah my main point from my spoiler above was that this 'epic/modern' philosophy will not work with the long term themes or goals. The scale is meant to diminish over time, and the themes are timeless, needing no such modern updating. Heck the old OVAs used timeless classical music.

Also to me, these people know what they're doing will depend how simple they keep the battle diagrams. The original had color coded simple shapes flying into each other. Now with all of this fancy CG I'm almost sure they'll opt to be More Epic, More Huge, and Very Very Tryhard in their attempts to showcase the battles. This will not only make them more confusing to follow, but sidetrack their development. The battle diagrams will be the key to victory or defeat.

There are a few things you need to put into consideration.

1. There are only 12 episodes (revealed a long time ago, a season of TV series plus 3 movies a year after) in this version, and the staff outrights states that they are NOT trying to replicate the OVA version while adding some modern spin. For all of us, including the staff, know all too darn well that 12 episodes aren't nearly enough even for full introduction of all the characters if we go with the OVA pacing. So thank goodness they said they are actually not being over-ambitious this time.

2. We, yes, we, love original OVA so much and praise every single aspect they did as they are truly exceptional and well-thought, so it is natural to ask: why bother making a new TV series then?

The reality is, painfully obvious, time. Anime industry has changed dramatically and drastically since then, not only animation technology has evolved, so does audience's tastes and general demand. LoGH franchise for a long time has difficulty drawing new blood (even with the legal digital streaming release on Hdive), so a new version, that updated with this era's own characteristics, was created to at least sending a message to the new young audience: Yes, guys, there is a timeless epic called LoGH, this new one is just a appetizer, if you got time, be sure to give it chance! It's a win-win for the franchise and fans, assuming this new one is at least decent, unless you are one of those fans with an elitist mindset(I assume you are not), then forget what I just said.

3. Since they aren't going too in-depth plot-wise, so, yes, music and action will most likely go full BOMBTASTIC mode in 12-episodes. This is production IG we are talking about, they love Sci-fi and are very passionate about them.

Will they overdo it? That depends on personal preference, and how they will handle the details, to be frank, in this fast-paced era, a little more action and flair than original shouldn't be that out of place.

Lastly, Production IG and Xebec produced the new Yamato, and the reception was fantastic, you can at least count on them putting great efforts for reviving this franchise.

A little doubts are perfectly logical, but we will still give them a chance to prove themselves, right? Cool
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:39 pm Reply with quote
All of this just makes me wonder when Sentai is going to start releasing the damn classic series on home release! It's the only thing I want on Hidive, but I'm really not keen on paying for Hidive just for that. And at this point, they'll be done doing all the eps for the main series at the end of the month, so that's cool! So they have the whole series subbed, what are they waiting for? I'll buy whatever LEs they come out with, y'know?
Fluwm

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Engineering Nerd wrote:
For all of us, including the staff, know all too darn well that 12 episodes aren't nearly enough even for full introduction of all the characters if we go with the OVA pacing.

The OVA series is long, but fast-paced. It’s first twelve episodes covered Reinhard and Yang’s first battle, the capture of Iserlohn Fortress, and the FPA invasion. The reason why there are so many OVAs is because they adapted *everything.* Not just the main sequence novels, but also many of the side stories and supplementary material.

A 12 episode season is more than sufficient—it’s enough to easily cover 2 novels, or one novel + side/extra material. Remember, the “OVA” is not one series—it is *multiple* series. The first of which was only 26 episodes.
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Fluwm wrote:

The OVA series is long, but fast-paced. It’s first twelve episodes covered Reinhard and Yang’s first battle, the capture of Iserlohn Fortress, and the FPA invasion. The reason why there are so many OVAs is because they adapted *everything.* Not just the main sequence novels, but also many of the side stories and supplementary material.

A 12 episode season is more than sufficient—it’s enough to easily cover 2 novels, or one novel + side/extra material. Remember, the “OVA” is not one series—it is *multiple* series. The first of which was only 26 episodes.

I guess I didn't made myself clear. I was referring to the political and later part of the series since the poster I responded to said the music and battle choreography might be unfitting, since I personally think, the early parts that is action-centric (of course, relatively speaking) would benefit from some modern touches.

It's been a long time since I marathoned the series, but from my memory, it takes quite some episodes before all the major players start rolling on the political and battle part (I count some supporting characters as important too due to their interactions with the mains). I stand corrected.
WatcherZer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:01 pm Reply with quote
I'm almost disappointed they will be starting at the beginning (based on the two series titles), some of the best if not the best stories were in the prequals showing young Reinhard advancing up the ranks and establishing the root of the slacker genius, (joining the army to pay for tuition).
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Engineering Nerd wrote:

There are a few things you need to put into consideration.

1. There are only 12 episodes (revealed a long time ago, a season of TV series plus 3 movies a year after) in this version,

I thought I had added that point, but I used a vague reference to the long term themes and goals when i was talking about OP/EDs. If one is going to start the music being big and epic, it won't work as well when the story starts coming home. Epic Space Opera Adventure music won't work as well when we have Julian sitting around for a few dozens episodes pondering what Republican Government means.

LoGH needs time to breath. And making a newer, and shorter version might be acceptable as an advertisement, but if they make it as fast-paced sequence of CG battles I will say they are mismarketing the feeling of the show. A major advantage of Isihiguro's representation of the material were those diagrams that let you know how the battle was progressing instead of relying entirely on the art of the spaceships and fleets showing it. The yellow triangle broke the blue line? Even a new viewer knows what happened there. But showing the diagrams from time to time as the battle progresses is not bombastic and impressive! I feel the need to slow down and include these diagrams is the difference between truly getting people into the material and the opposing side of just being sparkly effortless and confusing CG.

Quote:
Lastly, Production IG and Xebec produced the new Yamato, and the reception was fantastic, you can at least count on them putting great efforts for reviving this franchise.

A valuable thing missing from the New Yamato was the slow ticking timer. I still prefer the original in this regards, though i also value the increased depth of the Gamilians in the new version, though we finished with a weaker Dessler. But yet it flowed into the sequels better. However that extra emphasis was also damaging. While we should be biting our nails about the Yamato running out of time, we're treated to a new rebellion side plot.

So I will restate that the largest portion of my doubts will be relieved if I see that still embrace those simple shapes acting as stand-ins for whole fleet movements. But so far we have one glimpse in the PV where a wedge is surrounded by a ton of similarly colored dots. The whole display present is busy and does not invite someone in to understand the flow of the battle. Meanwhile combat explosions and debris coming off ships and thousands and thousands of lasers can be seen. It is a microcosm of the potential longevity of the project.
Wrangler

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:38 pm Reply with quote
These guys know this is going to be challenge trying to come up with something is on par or close to the original series. There simply in my opinion not enough momentum to fund a high detailed relaunch of the series. Story was completed decades ago!

12 episode launcher series, which suppose to lead to movies seems ambitious.

I'm not crazy about the character designs i've seen so far or the cgi. I'm willing give these guys chance, but the pacing going be difficult to deal with. 24 episode series would be better, but i don't know there audience the makers of the show are looking for are out there when they launch this show.
VanGosroth

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:33 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
The music sample sounds great to me.

I just wish Sentai Filmworks would put the classic anime on discs, already. I'm not paying money to stream a 20+ year old anime I've already seen three times. Discs would be an added value.

Iirc that last episode will be released on h dive soon so hopefully disk releases are not that far off
Marzan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:42 am Reply with quote
VanGosroth wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
The music sample sounds great to me.

I just wish Sentai Filmworks would put the classic anime on discs, already. I'm not paying money to stream a 20+ year old anime I've already seen three times. Discs would be an added value.

Iirc that last episode will be released on h dive soon so hopefully disk releases are not that far off

I really hope you’re right. It’s been years since they announced having the license and not much has happened since then.

How are Hi-dives subs? I must say that Central Anime’s suba from back in the day are nearly flawless when comparing them to the novels. I’m up to volume 5 right now, and other that the odd name or rank, everything is identical.
Chocoreto

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:49 am Reply with quote
ArnisEnthusiast wrote:

...It's not full CG.......... I have no idea how you got that impression. Have you seen the PV?

Are you sure? Because I've seen the PV and the movements of the characters look suspiciously to me as full CG. Plus I read somewhere (probably here, translated from the series' site) that this is going to be a "CGI adventure".

More than anything I'd love to be wrong.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:52 pm Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
thenextday wrote:
This is such a stupid thing to nitpick. It's the ORIGINAL adaptation and I'm going to call it that whether you like it or not.

I'm not nitpicking on what you call it, I'm being exasperated over people treating an ADAPTATION as the original source material, and being irritatingly purist about it, dismissing any other adaptation that is not like it.
I had the same problem with some HXH fans a couple of years, they weren't happy that Madhouse had removed/skipped over a ton of content from the original. Yet in reality. they had not included the Anime-only filler from Nippons adaptation, which wasn't what they were adapting.
ArnisEnthusiast

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Chocoreto wrote:
Are you sure? Because I've seen the PV and the movements of the characters look suspiciously to me as full CG. Plus I read somewhere (probably here, translated from the series' site) that this is going to be a "CGI adventure".

More than anything I'd love to be wrong.

...I've been following every release on this series VERY closely. I've never seen anything calling it a "CGI adventure". And the PV very clearly using 2D animation. Also, there'd be a CG staff member announced by now if it was CG.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:01 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
It's the only thing I want on Hidive, but I'm really not keen on paying for Hidive just for that. And at this point, they'll be done doing all the eps for the main series at the end of the month, so that's cool! So they have the whole series subbed, what are they waiting for?

I have fared well with HiDive's free streaming, though the fact their flagship title remains perpetually behind a paywall is admittedly a small bugbear. It can only be assumed that their hand was forced in this respect.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:53 pm Reply with quote
ofpveteran73 wrote:
I'm glad this staff is showing willingness to go their own way. Trying to recreate the OVA would be the least interesting direction the show could go in. The main theme sounds suitably grand so I'm interested to see what Shin Hashimoto can do. Also, it's always a pleasant surprise to see Sawano involved in something no matter how minor. (-;

Yeah. Can't wait to hear the opening theme.

And the music sample by the main composer sounded quite good.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2