• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Report invasive ads here (archived)

Goto page Previous  

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
relyat08

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Thorfinn wrote:
I've been sent here by my good friend Psycho101, since apparently the ANN autoplay videos from the bottom of articles are bugs. Why do I feel like this is just a bad new "feature" of the website?

It's a bug. They definitely aren't intentionally doing something like that. A number of users, including myself, had to deal with it on a number of occasions, which a lot of this, and similar threads, are focused on.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Actually, it's more of an... accident. We told them to provide us an embed with auto-play disabled. However it was a long time before we gave those instructions until we finally implemented the video player, so they may have forgotten.

I noticed it was auto-play shortly after we implemented, and I'm waiting for user feedback. I personally hate autoplay, but surprisingly, there's only been one complaint (Thorfinn's).

I'm still going to have autoplay disabled tomorrow though.
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Okay good. I actually hadn't run into the new one until after I posted here, but yeah, when I get to the bottom of the page and it starts without prompt, it's a little bit startling. Not the worst thing in the world, but I would definitely rather it not be autoplay.
Shiratori-san

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:22 am Reply with quote
If it's necessary for people to complain about the obvious, let me join in. That auto-play feature is very annoying. Evil or Very Mad Especially since I have the sound on in my computer, it becomes as atrocious as it gets. And if you are in a public place...

It also takes more MB if you are using a phone in desktop mode.

If this continues for too long, I may start considering leaving the site as well. But it makes me sad, because I've been using ANN for years and I like it a lot Sad
CatSword

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:48 am Reply with quote
There's a new video and the autoplay bug still hasn't been fixed. Confused
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 6:11 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure if these count as invasive, but the video ads that have been recently popping up in the sidebar are very distracting, and it'd be better if they were removed and replaced with stationary ads.

UPDATE: These video ads really need to go; mousing over them automatically expands them, which I'm pretty sure is frowned upon.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Can you tell us what ads in question? What's the name of the advertising network (it's listed above or below the ad) and who is the ad for? A screencap would be great.

The ads are completely different from city to city (let alone country to country) and user to user. I'm not seeing video ads, so I don't know which ad to report to our network.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Kinda hard for me to do that now, seeing how they vanished before I read your message... All I can say is that they were video commercials for Aleve. If they pop up again, I'll tell you more.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Okay, if you see something similar again, a screenshot would be amazing.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:07 am Reply with quote
Something similar just popped up, and now I have a screenshot to prove it.

The ad on the right is one of those "expands as you hover over it" ones I mentioned earlier.[/img]
daishi808

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:38 pm Reply with quote
As it was mentioned in a previous thread I got a drive by javascript exploit from one of the ads yesterday. Unfortunately I only have the link of the malware domain that was blocked as I was more concerned to close out the offending browser window.

I'm on Spectrum (formerly Oceanic Time Warner Cable). My AV detected and blocked the attack. I'm not getting any other drive by's on my computer leading me to believe that it was injected from a compromised ad.

PM me if you want the link to the malware domain.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Got a video ad from the kiosked network that was invasive.
Not because it autoplayed sound or anything, but because it kept on forcing my screen to scroll down to it every time it started a new video. I was reading Jake's Digimon game impressions, and then suddenly BAM! I'm at the bottom of the article staring at an ad. I scroll up, continue reading from where I left off, and in the middle of the next paragraph, bam, it happens again. And so on, and so on.

HeeroTX

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:56 pm Reply with quote
I don't know what ad it is, but something on this site just wrecked my browser. I was trying to reply and after a sentence I lost all responsiveness in Chrome.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 26 of 26