• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime Again Shut Out of Annie Nominations

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rawler

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:08 pm Reply with quote
The exclusion of anime is to grant American animation its own set of recognition. Opening up the awards to anime would drown any (scarce) American animation achievements. Exceptions such as Howl's Moving Castle exist. Occasionally the nomination panel stumbles upon something that not only breaks the possible pre-determinations they have about anime/other genres of animation, but is truly exceptional.

Really though, one quick visit to
http://www.annieawards.org/ and u'll see the logos of Pixar, Nickelodeon, Disney. Cartoon Network, and Fox plastered all along their side banner.

edit--my wording was a bit off...

Last edited by Rawler on Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
midori kou

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:26 pm Reply with quote
The Annie Awards have awarded several international animations in the past. Whether it is anime or not shouldn't make a big difference. There are far more better creations out there than whatever Miyazaki dishes it. Personally, I feel once you see one Miyazaki/Ghibli film, you kinda see them all.
LiuXuande

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:29 pm Reply with quote
As for anime films this year, Byousoku 5cm was absolutely amazing, that at least deserves a mention. Not to mention Toki Kake, which merited enough recognition to be shown in the Film Festival in Chicago this year. And Paprika last year...which was such an amazing work.

American animation is such garbage now, we've lost that classic Disney touch that echoed through the 90s, if that list is the best we can come up with for this year. I'm not a crazy pro-anime, anti-all American animation guy. I LOVE the hand-drawn age of Disney, those films are amazing. But they're kidding themselves if they're picking "Ratatouille" over much better foreign works.

I've heard good things about Persepolis though, look forward to seeing that later this year.
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Rawler wrote:
The exclusion of anime is to grant American animation its own set of recognition. Opening up the awards to anime would drown any (scarce) American animation achievements.

The article mentions that Ghibli lost out to Wallace and Gromit. Wallace and Gromit isn't American - it's British.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Other than John K., Asifa has the same low standards as AMPAS.
DonQuigleone

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:39 pm Reply with quote
I think it's only open to animation that has been released comercially in the us, in which case byousoku doesn't qualify, though I really think Mushishi should have made their list
halo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:43 pm Reply with quote
I'll agree that Toki wo kakeru Shoujo, Brave Story and 5cm/sec are far bettter than anything nominated but it's unfair to say it's some conspiracy to ignore it at the Oscars since no one bothered to give these films the prerequisite theatrical run to even qualify their entry. Only one even has a licensor or some sort of distributor.
CrystalFragments

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:45 pm Reply with quote
I would still take it down to a racial or even a social slur on thier part, thats okay though because they will only be left behind in this ever evolving trend and then thier investors will leave, profits will plummet and they will be left as paupers in the end!
bob_loblaw

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:50 pm Reply with quote
IRC, isn't it the responsibility of the studios/companies to submit their eligible films to the judging panels?

I'm a little disappointed that Kodokawa may not have for TokiKake (Girl Who Leapt Through Time). Then again, maybe their film wasn't eligible. I fail to see why, since it was screened at several North American festivals this year.
manuelRN

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Screw the Annies. Screw Hollywood and screw Wallace and Gromit! Hollywood hasn't put out anything good in the last 50 years.
Lucca_Ashtear

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:19 pm Reply with quote
In theory, I love the idea of an awards ceremony dedicated to animation but to be honest the Annie Awards does not do it justice. Independent and foreign animation (not just anime) often go unrecognized with only a few notable exceptions (having a big name like Disney behind Spirited Away probably helped). I'm really into all kinds of animation, and it's a shame that the American animated shows that deserve recognition didn't make it on the list. The best they could come with for "Best Animated Television Production" is ...Moral Orel? You've got to be kidding me! What about the Venture Brothers, Foster's home for Imaginary Friends, Avatar... heck, even Chowder looks promising. And you don't have to be an anime fan to like Mushi-shi or Le Chevalier D'Eon.
On the positive side, the Best Feature category has two movies that are deserving of recognition. It's a shame they excluded anime in the category this year, you know they must be scraping the bottom of the barrel when "Surf's Up" and Bee Movie are considered best anything (and yes, I have seen them).
ichiro3923

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:45 pm Reply with quote
I hate the fact that an anime movie is not nominated, but I don;t think that it is because they fear that anime is this "dominating force that can beat any animated movie". This might be a shock, but maybe it's because the anime movies are not as good as other animated films, which deserve to be nominated. The films nominated probably earned the recognition and respect.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Didn't the Annies actually WANT to nominate Paprika last year, but Sony wouldn't send them a screener?

I remember reading something along those lines.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LordRobin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:20 pm Reply with quote
LiuXuande wrote:
As for anime films this year, Byousoku 5cm was absolutely amazing, that at least deserves a mention.

I've been waiting for a chance to say this, but I didn't want to start a thread about it.

I disagree. I saw "...5cm" at Anime Expo this year and was all set to be wowed. I left wondering what the hell all the fuss was about.

See, in order to be considered a masterpiece of animation, things on the screen should, you know, animate. What I saw at AX reminded me more of Ken Burns than Miyazaki. A series of long, quiet, scenes where practically nothing is moving, save a few snowflakes or a train in the distance or a flickering lantern.

Touching? Good story? Maybe. Amazing work of animation? What animation?!

Now, I'll admit they only showed the first segment. Perhaps the other segments were a bit more energetic. But after being subjected to a lengthy, depressing slideshow (and being told it was the greatest thing since Spirited Away) I really wasn't interested in seeing any more.

------RM
perpetual159

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:23 pm Reply with quote
DonQuigleone wrote:
...though I really think Mushishi should have made their list

Mushi-shi no doubt had beautiful and amazing animation, but the story was so blah and (this might sorely offend some people)... BORING...! I lost count of how many times I fell asleep trying to finish one episode. But I persevered until I finished! Ha! In any case, I still don't understand why people think that is such a great show, when all it's got going for it is animation.

midori kou wrote:
Personally, I feel once you see one Miyazaki/Ghibli film, you kinda see them all.

For the most part, this is very true... if you take the time to watch some of Miyazaki's first films like Grave of the Fireflies or Naussicaa which set the standard for his later works. However, I do believe that, for once, with Howl's Moving Castle, he strayed away from tree hugging hippie stories he's so fond of putting on film--not that that's a bad thing Smile--granted, the screenplay is based on a book, so it wasn't exactly his idea.

Indeed, it's truly a shame that Toki wo kakeru Shoujo was not nominated, as I think, like many people in this forum--by the looks of it--that it was truly a work of art, not only in the story/plot, but in the animation as well.

Lucca_Ashtear wrote:
In theory, I love the idea of an awards ceremony dedicated to animation but to be honest the Annie Awards does not do it justice. Independent and foreign animation (not just anime) often go unrecognized with only a few notable exceptions (having a big name like Disney behind Spirited Away probably helped). I'm really into all kinds of animation, and it's a shame that the American animated shows that deserve recognition didn't make it on the list. The best they could come with for "Best Animated Television Production" is ...Moral Orel? You've got to be kidding me! What about the Venture Brothers, Foster's home for Imaginary Friends, Avatar... heck, even Chowder looks promising. And you don't have to be an anime fan to like Mushi-shi or Le Chevalier D'Eon.
On the positive side, the Best Feature category has two movies that are deserving of recognition. It's a shame they excluded anime in the category this year, you know they must be scraping the bottom of the barrel when "Surf's Up" and Bee Movie are considered best anything (and yes, I have seen them).

To this comment, all I have to say is that, indeed, it is VERY sad that those kinds of movies are being considered over many other works of art out there, which of course are not limited to solely anime.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5