• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yo-kai Watch TV Anime Enters Shadowside Arc in April

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:15 am Reply with quote
I'm still really disappointed Yo-kai Watch didn't do so well here in the States. It would have been interesting to see it become the next big phenomenon, but in the end, poor marketing sunk it stateside.

At the Walmart and Walgreens where I live, I didn't see one chunk of merchandise. And yet SpongeBob and TMNT were everywhere, as well as Nintendo's own Mario.
Haterater

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:16 am Reply with quote
I think one of the main reasons it didn't do well is because of the Yokai designs. Not enough "basic" concept designs that are easy to relate to.
OjaruFan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Does this mean that the show will no longer focus on Nate and Hailey? If so, then I’m totally fine with that. The show needs a change in format to stay fresh.

CastMember1991 wrote:
I'm still really disappointed Yo-kai Watch didn't do so well here in the States. It would have been interesting to see it become the next big phenomenon, but in the end, poor marketing sunk it stateside.

At the Walmart and Walgreens where I live, I didn't see one chunk of merchandise. And yet SpongeBob and TMNT were everywhere, as well as Nintendo's own Mario.

To be fair, the franchise focuses on Japanese-centric ideas that aren’t as easily accessible and appealing to mainstream consumers in the US. Sure the English version has various Americanizations thrown in, but it still has that Japanese feel that mainstream consumers in Asia are more likely to identify and appreciate. The big boys, such as Pokémon, Dragon Ball and Mario, are popular in the US because they focus on universal ideas that anyone can identify and appreciate.

A good amount of Americans aren’t curious about foreign cultures and ideas. When they consume entertainment, they want to be entertained, not educated.
Primus

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:33 pm Reply with quote
CastMember1991 wrote:

If you want Yo-Kai Watch merch, check your local clearance chains (Big Lots and Dollar Tree in the US, Dollarama in Canada). That's where everything Wal-Mart/ToysRus/Target didn't sell went.
michaeltanzer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:45 pm Reply with quote
OjaruFan wrote:
Does this mean that the show will no longer focus on Nate and Hailey? If so, then I’m totally fine with that. The show needs a change in format to stay fresh.

CastMember1991 wrote:

To be fair, the franchise focuses on Japanese-centric ideas that aren’t as easily accessible and appealing to mainstream consumers in the US. Sure the English version has various Americanizations thrown in, but it still has that Japanese feel that mainstream consumers in Asia are more likely to identify and appreciate. The big boys, such as Pokémon, Dragon Ball and Mario, are popular in the US because they focus on universal ideas that anyone can identify and appreciate.

A good amount of Americans aren’t curious about foreign cultures and ideas. When they consume entertainment, they want to be entertained, not educated.

Wait wait a minute, does that also mean the Pokemon anime is doing OK on Disney Anime hyper or something?
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:23 pm Reply with quote
michaeltanzer wrote:
Wait wait a minute, does that also mean the Pokemon anime is doing OK on Disney Anime hyper or something?

Obviously. Even though it's not as big of a franchise as it was in the '90s, Pokémon is still an established brand that's had a big footing in America for a long time. There are even plans to build a Pokémon Training Academy at Universal Studios' new Nintendo-themed land.
KH91

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:59 pm Reply with quote
OjaruFan wrote:

Well, it appears that we didn't watch the same thing otherwise 4Kids wouldn't have had to change the Japanese-centric jokes/food/text/etc. to something that English folk would understand. Laughing
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:37 am Reply with quote
KH91 wrote:
OjaruFan wrote:

Well, it appears that we didn't watch the same thing otherwise 4Kids wouldn't have had to change the Japanese-centric jokes/food/text/etc. to something that English folk would understand. Laughing

That's because Nintendo probably requested 4Kids (R.I.P.) do that. The games - from my understanding - never had any direct in-your-face references to Japanese culture like some instances of the anime did. Yo-kai Watch, despite the game being localized, was still referencing Japanese culture. And that's why despite having a brief period of popularity in Japan, the latter was such a disaster in the US.

And speaking of which, Hasbro just announced a pretty big sales loss due to Yo-kai Watch's failure.
http://abcnews.go.com/Business/wireStory/hasbro-reports-surprise-sales-drop-fourth-quarter-52904680
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1