• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Japanese School Opts for Flexible Uniform Code to Support LGBT Students

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:12 pm Reply with quote
zrdb Wrote:
Quote:
Anybody ever heard of a kilt?

Well, it is a plaid skirt, but if they called it a kilt wouldn't they have to go commando?
zrdb

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:36 pm Reply with quote
I've seen a lot that weren't plaid and never asked somebody what (if anything ) they were wearing under there. If it were me I would definitely be wearing something under it. But that's really beside the point of all this. The students should be free to wear what they want within the constraints of the uniform choices available to them without consequences.
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:17 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
Well, it is a plaid skirt, but if they called it a kilt wouldn't they have to go commando?

It's a myth that it's forbidden to wear underwear when wearing a kilt, and in fact wearing underwear is recommended for hygiene reasons. But some people believe the myth, or prefer "going commando" for one reason or another.
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:34 am Reply with quote
Wow. Girls can wear pants. That's so progressive. Rolling Eyes
Jonny Mendes wrote:

If ANN talked about the dress code of this school, why don't ANN talked about the public elementary school in Tokyo's Ginza district prefecture were the pricy new uniform is design by Armani.
http://www.asahi.com/ajw/articles/AJ201802090052.html

Forcing parents to buy expensive Armani clothes for kids who will outgrow them in a few months (and probably ruin them before that) is extortion! WTH?
Jonny Mendes wrote:

whiskeyii wrote:
Skirts in winter are zero fun.

School Girls in Japan love to use skirts even in winter and the even shorten them. Is a fashion trend since some time ago
https://tokyogirlsupdate.com/school-uniform-short-skirt-20160693173.html

That's great for girls who enjoy fashion and choose to wear skirts, not for girls who want to keep warm and *are forced by their schools to wear skirts as part of a standardized uniform*. I have no problems with school uniforms, or skirts. But I went to a parochial school. Why did secular schools in Japan take this long to allow girls to wear pants?
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:45 am Reply with quote
Bullying is already a huge problem in Japanese schools.

.............so isn't this just going to make it a lot worse? Not for girls.....but for the boys.....definitely.

Unless the boys don't change uniforms at all.....
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:49 am Reply with quote
@Sakagami Tomoyo

The reference to going commando was a joke, which this thread sorely needs.

The school's announcement strikes me as a mixture of pragmatism and cynicism. They probably started out deciding to let the girls wear pants. Likely because they had a number of requests, they had girls already doing that or they faced the loss of top students if they didn't. That is the pragmatic part. At that point someone probably noted that such a policy would be a bit discriminatory. The response being "well the boys can wear skirts, it they really want to, heh, heh, heh". That being the cynical part. I bet the idea of supporting LGBT students was simply a rational to support a decision already made.

All the fuss about the school "pushing" an LBGT agenda isn't supported by the announcement. Letting the girls wear pants isn't even vaguely controversial in this day and age. With regard to the boys wearing skirts, they are not pushing it. They are simply saying "here it is if you really want to" while acknowledging that likely no one would take them up on the offer. Given how much Japanese students are reported to value conformity, it would take an ego of steel to go that route.
NervClaX

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:31 pm Reply with quote
ANN completely shut down the forum comments after posting an article about the director of Recovery of an MMO Junkie, Kazuyoshi Yaginuma. Now, moderators are complaining about comments on THIS article.

If ANN isn't prepared to host a discussion about the articles they post, or the topics they broach, maybe they [the articles] don't belong on ANN. Maybe the site should just avoid social issues altogether and restrict articles to anime, manga, and the business thereof?

I think some of the frustration I'm sensing from the moderators comes not from "trolls" but from an unwillingness to debate the merits of post-modernism and intersectional feminism.

If the authors are willing to defend their work, we shouldn't be seeing such heavily moderated forums.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:58 pm Reply with quote
The ANN mods weren't complaining about this thread, they were issuing a warning to posters because a bunch of posts in this thread had to get deleted/edited for crossing the line, and others were pushing up against it. So they let people in this thread know: knock it off. In other words, they did their jobs as mods.

And believe me, ANN typically allows PLENTY of debate on basically any issue as long as the debate remains polite and doesn't swerve off topic and start to dominate the thread for a long period. Oftentimes debates on sensitive subjects get extremely heated and suddenly spawn 15 pages in 30 minutes, though, so the mods edit/delete posts and issue warnings to other people in the thread who didn't quite merit getting their posts removed. Pretty simple really.
NervClaX

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:57 am Reply with quote
There are only two genders. I don't believe I'm crossing any lines by stating this fact. A Japanese school has a uniform. The uniform consists of two tops and two bottoms. Students may wear any combination of top or bottom.

Japanese school uniforms are seen frequently in anime/manga and are considered a component of Japanese popular culture. I get that. But, if the author is going to assume more than two genders, the author should be prepared to defend his/her assumption, because it ventures outside the realm of science and empirical evidence.

You also didn't address why ANN shut down the thread about Recovery of an MMO Junkie. ANN broached the subject, but they clearly didn't want to discuss it in the forums. It was a pearl-clutching article written to jeopardize Kazuyoshi Yaginuma's career in anime.
Crisha

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:26 am Reply with quote
The debate about genders, while related to the topic, is not specifically the topic in question. We are lenient with allowing social issue debates related to the articles for a while but eventually stop them if they don't peter out on their own, because we find they repeat the same arguments and remain tangentially about the topic in question. If you want to debate those topics more in depth, go to a forum or website specific to debating them.

The posts that get edited or deleted are the ones that are rude or have personal insults. When then occurs, we jump in quicker as we're available. And we will shut down debate quicker if we feel it is more heated.

Tempest has addressed why the Recovery of an MMO Junkie Thread was shut down.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
varmintx

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Yes, I'm aware a mod JUST SAID not to discuss the subject here, but I can't really let something objectively false be the last word.

{Edit}: Actually yes you will, especially since I removed the rest of your post. There have been 2 mods who have handed out warnings or edited posts in this thread. The next time you blatantly ignore a moderator warning and try to stir the pot like this you'll be placed on moderation yourself. ~ Psycho 101
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7