• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Did Fate/Apocrypha's Great Holy Grail War End Well?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Yeah, 22 in particular is just wall-to-wall action that you never see in a TV production. It's clearly a ton of talented, passionate artists putting their all into impressing you with just how good they are

... Then why did it look like shit? Does this really look like the result of talent to you?

Thankfully the emotional weight and intensity was so effective because the sketchy artwork, washed out colours, and rubber physics might have really harmed it otherwise.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:17 am Reply with quote
^well I'd say stuff like this is certainly the result of talent.

But really, if your definition of good animation is so rigid it doesn't allow for the kind of kinetic, intense stylism in ep 22 then I don't know what to tell you - we're obviously not going to have much to talk about besides quibbling over singular frames.
Frog-kun
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:41 am Reply with quote
FilthyCasual wrote:
Emdykay wrote:
And by the way, please put someone who has actually played or is at least familiar with the original Fate/Extra on those reviews, because the way that one seems to be setup it might be deliberately screwing with the expectations one might have coming in with knowledge of the original Very Happy

That's going to be rough, given that wikihumping won't help for LE. Then again whoever reviews it has a solid six months at least to track down an LP or buy a PSP.

That would be me. Welp.
Johan Eriksson 9003

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:03 am Reply with quote
So, the first part of this got me so irrevokably hooked on the Fate/ franchise that I spent all my christmas money on dvd box-sets and cheated my way around a region-lock so that I could play Fate/GO. I'm WAY down the rabbit-hole on this one and I love every second of it. The whole concept of "Fate/" lends itself so well to reflection and subversion of storytelling ideas and legends which I love. The action is top-notch more often than not and I will always love the kind of trashy fanservice it revels in while also subverting. The philosophizing is also a highlight. It can be hit or miss but when it is good it is SO good.

Apocrypha's second half delivered everything I hoped for and more. The first part was easily the weakest but I liked the Jack the Ripper part more than most people did and the last few episodes were a constant ride of joy.

Overall I agree that the nominal MCs are probably the weakest part, but even then I find them at least likable enough to care what happens to them. Ironically though I never liked Mordred or her master all that much (she killed Fran, grr) and I was so happy that Astolpho was actually allowed to survive past the grail war.
Flü

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:57 am Reply with quote
switchgear1131 wrote:
I am 1000% in agreement and on board for a show that is just Mordred and her Master as the main characters.

Yes, pleaaaaaase~!
I love Fate/Zero, but Mordred and Shishigou have catapulted themselves into my #1 spot for Servant and ServantXMaster pair in the entire franchise. I love them so much. Shame they didn't play an even more central role in the series.
Of course, Mordred's design, music theme and terrific voice actress also played a big part in that.

Vaisaga wrote:
Quote:
Yeah, 22 in particular is just wall-to-wall action that you never see in a TV production. It's clearly a ton of talented, passionate artists putting their all into impressing you with just how good they are

... Then why did it look like shit? Does this really look like the result of talent to you?

Thankfully the emotional weight and intensity was so effective because the sketchy artwork, washed out colours, and rubber physics might have really harmed it otherwise.

Unless you are producing on a movie budget, really good animation almost always uses off-model shots and smears that often look weird in still images. Some of the most infamous screenshots of Naruto (creepy-head Sasuke) happened during some of the most amazing scenes of animation.
Random Name

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:18 am Reply with quote
Huh I didn't know Sieg was so hated. I'm shocked since I ended up liking him better then Shirou (Although I don't really like Shirou... (But I do like Archer....)). However he got a huge boost because of the dragon thing. Dragons really are the best in fact I surrender every time I come across a dragon team in FEH. (I don't know what kinda person could hurt those dragon lolis anyway.)
configspace

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:24 am Reply with quote
Regarding the animation, I'm not sure how many people realize, but all anime is fixed/cleaned/revised for home video. Not the overall design, but any keys and mostly tweens that are really off-model like above from the broadcast always gets fixed in the home video release.
Emdykay

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:35 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
Regarding the animation, I'm not sure how many people realize, but all anime is fixed/cleaned/revised for home video. Not the overall design, but any keys and mostly tweens that are really off-model like above from the broadcast always gets fixed in the home video release.

Except the offmodel stuff is on purpose and if you look at it in animation, rather than single screencaps, you will notice that the changig and fluid model is part of the animation.

So yes, that screencap is the result of animation skill. It is not "drawing skill" as this would be fairly easy to produce in a short amount of time, making it especially viable for tv animation or any other that is low on time or resources, but it takes a good eye and imagination for choreography and motion.
Animation is not single clean screens, it is the moving endproduct.
configspace

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:20 am Reply with quote
Emdykay wrote:
configspace wrote:

Except the offmodel stuff is on purpose and if you look at it in animation, rather than single screencaps, you will notice that the changig and fluid model is part of the animation.

So yes, that screencap is the result of animation skill. It is not "drawing skill" as this would be fairly easy to produce in a short amount of time, making it especially viable for tv animation or any other that is low on time or resources, but it takes a good eye and imagination for choreography and motion.
Animation is not single clean screens, it is the moving endproduct.

You can never know until the home video release. I say this after following frame by frame comparisons of many shows that DO show changes where you might not notice in action scenes.

For example, the same happened with Kill La Kill.
https://imgur.com/a/hthsN/all
Animation was kinda sloppy for the broadcast despite being lauded and a fan might have asserted it was all intentional, yet the home video clearly release disproves that assertion. There were a TON of fixes.

Another example was Attack on Titan.
https://imgur.com/a/aXOYx
it was bad enough that ANN's own review of the home video release mentioned the changes.
And Mike Toole had an article speicifically about sloppy animation: animenewsnetwork.com/the-mike-toole-show/2014-01-26
And yeah even action scenes in Naruto get fixed on home video, so one can never assume off-model frames are ever "intentional"

SHAFT is even infamous for a lot more fixups and changes on home video that most others like this: http://0taku.livedoor.biz/archives/4023619.html
Iin fact, I have never, ever seen a home video anime release that wasn't changed or fixed on home video, even small no-name money losing tiitles gets cleanups like Shigofumi (anyone remember that?)
Emdykay

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:33 am Reply with quote
That comment wasn´t really aimed at you. I do know that stuff gets fixed and there will be stuff getting fixed for Apocrypha, but the glaring off model moments during the action scenes were on purpose and an artistic choice rather than errors that need fixing is what I intended to say Wink
There might as well be corrections going even more off model and distorted.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:56 am Reply with quote
Flü wrote:
Unless you are producing on a movie budget, really good animation almost always uses off-model shots and smears that often look weird in still images. Some of the most infamous screenshots of Naruto (creepy-head Sasuke) happened during some of the most amazing scenes of animation.

I can usually live with that for the most part. They're usually just brief snippets that go by so fast you can rarely notice.

However it's different when the entire episode looks like that, even the non-action moments. Personally I'd rather have hindered movement if it meant characters looked like they are supposed to.

There is an ideal balance (Chiron vs Achilles and Seig vs Shiro were great), but 22 really missed the mark. It's clear they were so focused on being artsy that they ignored everything else.
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:13 am Reply with quote
Random Name wrote:
Huh I didn't know Sieg was so hated. I'm shocked since I ended up liking him better then Shirou (Although I don't really like Shirou... (But I do like Archer....)). However he got a huge boost because of the dragon thing. Dragons really are the best in fact I surrender every time I come across a dragon team in FEH. (I don't know what kinda person could hurt those dragon lolis anyway.)

I like Shirou, but I played the VN which has three routes worth of characterization and all. I like comparing how he ends up in UBW and how he ends up in Heaven's Feel, but if all you've seen is the UBW ufotable adaptation or the original anime, I can't blame you for not liking him.

Sieg is okay, but the problem is that the decoy protagonist we saw in the first episode (Shishigou) was a lot better. Mordred also being better than Astolfo or Jeanne in my opinion certainly didn't help matters.
OtherSideofSky

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:40 pm Reply with quote
^It certainly doesn't help that they cut a lot of narration about homunculi and pretty much everything that was supposed to put Sieg in a position to judge between Amakusa and Jeanne from the novel. The idea is supposed to be that the state Amakusa is aiming for is analogous to the natural condition of homunculi, so that Sieg is in a unique position to reject Amakusa's ideal from experience. Honestly, it was pretty rushed even in the book, so I was hoping they would expand on that to make the story more cohesive for the anime.

Instead, they trimmed it further, cut Sieg's recurring Fafnir dreams down to two kind of lackluster sequences, and also axed a ton of Jeanne's scenes so that the whole thing between them feels even less earned than it did in the book.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Frog-kun wrote:
That would be me. Welp.

Godspeed.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:03 am Reply with quote
The solution to every problem the anime industry has ever had is a Fate spinoff where all the servants are Astolfo. Seven Astalfos, they become friends and compliment each other's outfits and talk about crushes they have and then they have a war but at the end everyone wins. There, I just saved anime, you're welcome.

I like Sieg. He's a messed-up kid and kind of a stiff, but you'd be too if you were a week-old teenager and your first memory was of a pile of corpses that all look just like you. The show is careful to always have either Ruler or Astalfo or someone else hanging around him until almost the very end, so he never feels like he's carrying the show alone, which is good because he really can't. But he doesn't have to except for about half of episode 24.

Modred and Shishigou saying "we'll take the holy grail!" like that just makes me think of "and then we'll capture Pikachu!" Would I watch a fate spinoff where they just show up to mess with people every week Team Rocket style? OF COURSE I WOULD AND SO WOULD YOU.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3