• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: After the Rain

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Thacker

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:10 pm Reply with quote
#Verso.Sciolto wrote:
John Thacker wrote:
[...]
Amazon Prime seems to be having a slight issue with the latest episode, indicating that it is not available in the US.
Latest - as in upcoming in a few hours * (JST) or as in previous?

* Aired as scheduled.

The upcoming one. Must have been my mistake in checking the page a bit early, and I got confused by their placeholder and its "not available in your area" message. It appeared normally yesterday as expected.
#Verso.Sciolto

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:54 pm Reply with quote
John Thacker wrote:
The upcoming one. Must have been my mistake in checking the page a bit early, and I got confused by their placeholder and its "not available in your area" message. It appeared normally yesterday as expected.
Good to know. Going by the messages you encountered earlier it doesn't appear to apply here but sometimes delays or other issues with the broadcast of a translated episode have been interpreted as issues with completion of the episode in Japanese, seen as speculative indicators for the shape the animation studio might be in.
#Verso.Sciolto

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Episode 6.

If *

then
? =>

If After the Rain is a Patlabor re-run of sorts then which -female- Patlabor character needed to be crippled at the very beginning of the "new" story before her story could be re-started in 2018?

If the visual references from an older animated story can be interpreted as providing some sort of guidance for character design, there might be room for a Patlabor image to replace that question mark and answer some questions about intentions.

... and, might what might be applicable to visual resemblance be suggested for character's back stories or themes from the literary references distributed in this series too? This time after a scripted, "accidental", library date "Botchan" comes home with Akira Tachibana in After the Rain.

A previous comment about a symbolic thread from a literary work was deleted. Whose judgment was clouded in that respect has not been cleared up. Maybe we'll come back to moments like those later.

* The images earlier in this comment come from the Episode 3 review.

It might well be useful to wonder, what came before:
- from the review of episode 6.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:47 pm Reply with quote
#Verso.Sciolto wrote:

If After the Rain is a Patlabor re-run of sorts then which -female- Patlabor character needed to be crippled at the very beginning of the "new" story before her story could be re-started in 2018?

If the visual references from an older animated story can be interpreted as providing some sort of guidance for character design, there might be room for a Patlabor image to replace that question mark and answer some questions about intentions.

Give me strength Satan...

Akira = Shinobu, who really wanted that Goto would get serious and fucked her good, there's an entire episode about this but he did not and left her endure the night alone at her bed.

There it is, satisfied? Akira's chastity is safe.
#Verso.Sciolto

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Panino Manino wrote:

Give me strength Satan...

Akira = Shinobu, who really wanted that Goto would get serious and fucked her good, there's an entire episode about this but he did not and left her endure the night alone at her bed.
[images]
[...] Akira's chastity is safe.
In reply. I've omitted one line from your response - from your interpretation of the stories and your interpretation of the questions asked.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:45 am Reply with quote
I quite enjoyed the detour into another aspect of Akira's life that didn't have anything to do with her screaming thigh sweats for Kondo. I'm not so sure there is a yuri tinge to Haruki's feelings for Akira, but this is manga/anime land so it certainly can't be dismissed conclusively.

For whatever reason, I was more aware of the music this eppie and quite liked it.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:40 pm Reply with quote
The anime was a mistake, made the manga be axed: https://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20180218-00000022-mantan-ent
Two more chapters.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:50 pm Reply with quote
At least google translate doesn't give any such claim from that article. Considering it will have a live-action movie coming shortly, I think Panimo Manimo needs to give a more convincing source for it...

Edit; this was a reply to Blood-'s post which disappeared(?)...
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:40 pm Reply with quote
@ Blanchimont - yes, I deleted my own post. Once I realized that ANN had an article on the manga ending, I no longer needed to ask for clarification here.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:52 am Reply with quote
So far the points along the rails this story could switch to have been left open, but there are so many others still to cross so the final destination is not certain. I have my idea where I want it to go, but also have my doubt it is going to pull into that station, but the one so many others have been switched to. I'm glade the mangaka is a woman. I think that helps in seeing the story through Akira's eye's. But stereotypically most mangaka of either gender usually don't seem to have had much if any experience with a relationship to really build a strong foundation to construct such a story as this. My belief of this is based on the side blurbs that some authors write about themselves tell a story of mostly shut-in's struggling to make deadlines, bearly getting outside to expose themselves to society where there could possiblly be a meeting of a future compatible partner. in short; a virgin writing hentai sort of scenario.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
in short; a virgin writing hentai sort of scenario.

Congratulations, marvelous and succinct analysis, you solved this riddle.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Panino Manino wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
in short; a virgin writing hentai sort of scenario.

Congratulations, marvelous and succinct analysis, you solved this riddle.
Thanks me thinks.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:41 pm Reply with quote
I know very well at this point that I'm here just to suffer (I'm already a demon anyway) but even so try not to see Kondo's hug as just a confirmation of the "worst fears" about this story, ok?
This time try just a little bit more to read what the scene is saying for the overall story (altough those umbrellas don't help).
Inopethflames

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:15 am Reply with quote
I’ve just watched the first two episodes, man I really love this show, it’s so realistic from Akiras point of view how a teen could get infatuated with an older person because of a variety of reasons, with the huge mental and physical trauma she had with her heel, and then how he was kind to her and now she spends a lot of time working with him.

I would assume they will never become a couple because that seems to be how these shows go, but for now until I watch more of it, I will just hope they get together when she’s like 20 or 21 or something. This show would be a radically different viewing experience for someone 13-18 as compared to 35-50. It is fairly emotional so far too, I would like to watch the whole series at once. These type of shows make you want to be the girls age and you insert yourself as a good age appropriate boyfriend for her. It’s like a fantasy with how gorgeous where she lives is and how you can just imagine being there with her.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:58 am Reply with quote
Really liked episode 7. The show continues to handle its premise with enormous skill and appropriateness. How nice to be watching a potentially problematic relationship drama where you actually like and care for the two leads. I'm looking at you, Citrus.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 31