• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Myriad Colors Phantom World BD+DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:23 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Myriad Colors Phantom World is an uninspired and dull anime; the lewd fanservice and top notch visuals are its only highlights. As far as I am concerned, it is a black mark on KyoAni's mostly stellar trajectory.

Nick Creamer giving this show an overall B grade suggests to me that he is a Kyoto Animation fanboy who would defend anything that studio produces.

Yea I can't say I agree with this.. It's not ground breaking but it was entertaining.. I've seen and forgotten more anime series that couldn't even be classified as entertaining.

I'm not sure I agree with Nicks review as a B... I have seen better series get panned by the review process.. but I'm not gonna express outrage by fanboy'ism... just saying.
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:02 pm Reply with quote
I reviewed every episode when it was streaming and came away thinking the parts where more impressive than the sum of the series. Also this was the second to last series by Kyoto Animation the last being Dragon Maid. That I watched before simply deciding the studio was not for me. With the work of Kyoto Animation being more something I can respect from a distance than actively love or enjoy.
gedata

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:06 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Psycho 101 wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:

Nick Creamer giving this show an overall B grade suggests to me that he is a Kyoto Animation fanboy who would defend anything that studio produces.

Yes because anyone giving a decent rating to a show you don't like must obviously be a fanboy/fangirl. Thanks for enlightening us. Wink

Except that the show seems to be universally disliked; I am not alone. I have disliked other shows that a lot of people like, but I have no problems if said shows are of high quality. Phantom World is a low quality show that I and plenty of other people dislike.

So contentious opinions are always a stain to credibility then? Nice, I'm sure the hivemind appreciates your continued support.

Why not question the reasoning behind the stance as opposed to just the stance itself.
Spike Terra
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
According to the ANN release page and Funimation's site, these discs should have the 7 "Limitless Phantom World" omakes from the JP release. Can anyone confirm whether those shorts are present or not?

I just checked my copy. The Limitless Phantom World omakes are present on the discs
TasteyCookie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:13 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Psycho 101 wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:

Yes because anyone giving a decent rating to a show you don't like must obviously be a fanboy/fangirl. Thanks for enlightening us. Wink

Except that the show seems to be universally disliked; I am not alone. I have disliked other shows that a lot of people like, but I have no problems if said shows are of high quality. Phantom World is a low quality show that I and plenty of other people dislike.

I frankly love the show, making your term 'universally' not apply here. I own all of KyoAni's available R1 releases and I enjoy Phantom World more than Hyouka (Nick's favorite KyoAni) personally. I would say most fans of KyoAni hate it because it's so different every other KyoAni show. Plus it has fan-service which if you look at user reviews, tends to be cited as something absolutely unacceptable in their works.

Despite its story being mediocre, Phantom World is just pure entertainment. Even watching it for a third time, the episodes are just a good time. I would argue the ranking of B is fair, because if you don't go into expecting something it's not (ie a story driven character drama) you're likely to at least be fairly entertained.
KH91

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:09 pm Reply with quote
MnPW was okay. Aside from usual great visuals, my favorite things were Mai, spoiler[Enigma], and the OP/ED songs by SREEN mode and Azusa Tadokoro. Episode 1 was legendary and the reason why I kept watching (aside from being a completionist). Also, I miss spoiler[Enigma].
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Eh, looking back on it.....it was a mixture of fun and dumb. But mostly dumb. xD Not a series I would own.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:35 pm Reply with quote
TasteyCookie wrote:
I frankly love the show, making your term 'universally' not apply here. I own all of KyoAni's available R1 releases and I enjoy Phantom World more than Hyouka (Nick's favorite KyoAni) personally. I would say most fans of KyoAni hate it because it's so different every other KyoAni show. Plus it has fan-service which if you look at user reviews, tends to be cited as something absolutely unacceptable in their works.

To me the reason why KyoAni fans dislike it (I don't hate it) is not because it is different. It is because it is inconsistent and dumb. Hyouka is actually an unusual KyoAni show, but it is an amazingly written and crafted show. And as far as the fanservice on Phantom World, it did not bother me. Amagi Brilliant Park has lots of fanservice, but it is still a great show that I enjoy watching.

Quote:
Despite its story being mediocre, Phantom World is just pure entertainment. Even watching it for a third time, the episodes are just a good time. I would argue the ranking of B is fair, because if you don't go into expecting something it's not (ie a story driven character drama) you're likely to at least be fairly entertained.

I was not expecting it to be a story driven character drama. I wanted it to be a solidly written and consistent slice of life and fantasy show with likable characters and top notch visuals. Unfortunately Myriad Colors Phantom World only delivered on the last thing.
grooven

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:51 pm Reply with quote
I dropped this show pretty early it was pretty cliche and only the visuals were keeping me interested. It just got too boring to stomach after a while.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:01 am Reply with quote
On 11/28/17, I said the following on Jad Saxton's Magical Garment Zombies, a private FB group:
Quote:
In the "Phantom World" OVA, there's a scene at the beginning where Haruhiko and Ruru are talking about their favorite fairy tales. Haruhiko says something like "they are not copyrighted, so it's legal". In other words, that's a public domain reference and only current adaptations/versions of classic fairy tales might still be copyrighted. I think this has the distinction of the only anime reference in dubbed and subbed form to use such a line. Props to Rachel Robinson for having the line that way.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:37 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Hyouka is actually an unusual KyoAni show, but it is an amazingly written and crafted show.

I wish I watched that Hyouka but I got the one with warmed over mystery plots and overlong multi-episode arcs that didn't result into anything.

And I didn't even know there was more than one. There isn't? Wait, you're saying the series with the mystery of "how to get out of the locked room" and the mystery of "why the parade crossed the street" is amazingly written?

MCPW looked nice but that's the default position/review of every Kyoto Animation show of the Tens. The degree of terribleness you're willing to swallow/ignore is up to you.

Liking MCPW because it's fun? That reminds me too much of Bamboo Blade: "We do kendo because it's fun." Well, most of the cast were there looking for the ping pong club and I hear that's fun too. Can you be more specific? It's supposed to be entertainment and I wouldn't expect the experience to be miserable.

Though I can certainly cite examples... Even positive ones.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:00 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

Whether or not you dislike a show or others do not it does not make those who do fanboys or fangirls. Insulting someone, normal user or reviewer, and calling them a fandboy/fangirl for simply liking a show is not going to be tolerated here. People are allowed to like or dislike shows without being personally insulted for doing so.
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:
Hyouka is actually an unusual KyoAni show, but it is an amazingly written and crafted show.

I wish I watched that Hyouka but I got the one with warmed over mystery plots and overlong multi-episode arcs that didn't result into anything.

Considering that this is coming from the same person who thought that Kill La Kill promoted fascism (Seriously, WTH?), it’s extremely likely you didn’t watch the same Hyouka as everyone else who did.

Animegomaniac wrote:
And I didn't even know there was more than one. There isn't? Wait, you're saying the series with the mystery of "how to get out of the locked room" and the mystery of "why the parade crossed the street" is amazingly written?

No, there isn’t more than one and yes, the one with those events are the ones other people in this thread are talking about because there can indeed be quality in simplicity. (There are many different types of simplicity FYI) If you’re the type of person who thinks simple is dumb/can’t possibly be good or entertaining/a waste of time/etc., then that show was very clearly not made for people like you and that’s fine. No need to be snarky about it. A part of me is wondering why I’m even bothering to type this out to you since you never learn, but I’m doing it anyway because I don’t want to let this be left uncriticized.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:53 pm Reply with quote
I didn't love this show, but every time I think about it, the sheer visual prowess on display makes me a little aroused. Laughing
For real though, this show was extremely sexy to me, and it is, equal parts, due to the extremely attractive character designs, and the masterful visual execution, both in terms of character animation, and the stellar action sequences. I don't think this is the peak of the studios work visually as a whole, but it is probably their sexiest work to me. In order to achieve that, you have to have a good balance of character development, attractive characters both physically and personality-wise, and good animation. That doesn't usually happen in fanservice shows, so I was actually kind of glad to see KyoAni give it a shot.
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:32 am Reply with quote
I was actually more interested in the original novels that this series was based on. Imagine my surprise when I found out the anime was only loosely based on the premise, and the novel's story got dark real quick.

I really like the anime though. During the time it was streamed, I was stressed out by a couple of things IRL, but this show then provided some really solid, and sometimes thoughtful, entertainment.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3