• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Goblin Slayer Light Novel Series Gets TV Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
palom

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:14 am Reply with quote
Sunny milk wrote:

Quote:
surrounded by random harem

...and into the trash it goes.

Technically the Goblin Slayer party is composed by 3 men and 2 women.
GhostD

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:27 am Reply with quote
palom wrote:
Sunny milk wrote:

Quote:
surrounded by random harem

...and into the trash it goes.

Technically the Goblin Slayer party is composed by 3 men and 2 women.

One is a pure hearted priestess who only cares for him as a partner (at least from what I can see) and the other is legal loli high elf who looks at him as an eccentric and socially ackward but reliable party member. Not really much on romance so far

While not part of the party theres still the cowgirl though its kinda hard to say whether she's into him or just cares for him like a sibling
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:00 am Reply with quote
Only thing I've read about the source material is that its unique selling point is the titular Goblin Slayer's single-minded quest to achieve ethnic cleansing. Everything and everyone else is just along for the ride until the Goblin Slayer either fulfils his goal or dies trying.

Should be entertaining for the action. Don't know how much of the other 18+ elements will make it into the animated adaptation, but answers should be clear when more details are released.
GhostD

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:04 am Reply with quote
Harleyquin wrote:
Only thing I've read about the source material is that its unique selling point is the titular Goblin Slayer's single-minded quest to achieve ethnic cleansing. Everything and everyone else is just along for the ride until the Goblin Slayer either fulfils his goal or dies trying.

Should be entertaining for the action. Don't know how much of the other 18+ elements will make it into the animated adaptation, but answers should be clear when more details are released.

Im guessing the most 18+ stuff we'll see aside from gore is topless or nude women with barbie doll anatomies. I highly doubt theyd show the rape scenes in detail
Dian Z

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:19 am Reply with quote
I'll check it out for White Fox, as they have picked some interesting SFF series.

Though to be honest, I'm not particularly fond of a main cast of characters where the female characters are attractive 'human'/humanoid with each their own sex appeal, but the male characters are either covered in full armor, having a monster/beast face, or having no particular form. An adult-male-targeted novels can still be enjoyable for an adult male or even fanservice-y without masking their male characters. Just imho.
Ronie Peter

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:20 am Reply with quote
White Fox is a decent studio. They are taking very important things to adapt. It's a big responsibility. That will probably be for next year, for spring.
Soulwarfare

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:22 am Reply with quote
I believe they are going to tone down the rape but will keep the gore.
Some may be annoyed if they tone down the rape but honestly it is would be kinda uncomfortable to watch anyway...
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:50 am Reply with quote
Harleyquin wrote:
Only thing I've read about the source material is that its unique selling point is the titular Goblin Slayer's single-minded quest to achieve ethnic cleansing.

Ok, this made me laugh. I can't mention any series where goblins were a major threat apart from numbers... ah, ok. And after looking up the background, it's pretty much what I figured.

This seems a lot more interesting than a base RPGified fantasy anime and the use of titles rather than names is good especially since the main one is just so specific while others like "Guild Girl" could be anything.

It's something new to look forward to. That's rare in itself.
Yune Amagiri

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:52 am Reply with quote
Most of them best isekai LN keep getting new anime announcement or sequel recently, this era is just perfect for otakus like me, can't stop smiling and dancing ! Laughing
NonsenseUser

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:14 am Reply with quote
Kinda figured it was only a matter of time for this one. This has quickly become one of my favorite light novels this past year so I'm very much looking forward to this!
Starbuckets

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:16 am Reply with quote
Dian Z wrote:
I'll check it out for White Fox, as they have picked some interesting SFF series.

Though to be honest, I'm not particularly fond of a main cast of characters where the female characters are attractive 'human'/humanoid with each their own sex appeal, but the male characters are either covered in full armor, having a monster/beast face, or having no particular form. An adult-male-targeted novels can still be enjoyable for an adult male or even fanservice-y without masking their male characters. Just imho.
I see what you mean but at the same time I believe that Goblin Slayer wearing a helmet at all times is actually a significant part of his appeal. It’s pretty fun to speculate about what he looks like underneath, even though it's already been hinted at that spoiler[he is quite handsome]. It also allows for some funny situations and interactions with other characters, so I would see it as a positive rather than the contrary.
ZODDGUTS

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:01 am Reply with quote
Hope they don't turn down the rape, wherever people care for it or not, it is part of the dark fantasy appeal, this isn't your normal fantasy. Same with Berserk.
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:22 am Reply with quote
If this going to be Samus: The Goblin Slayer, I'm super stoked for that ending twist.
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:53 am Reply with quote
You can tell who's read the manga instead of the LN here. In the books, the rapiness is dealt with in just a couple lines, with no gory descriptions. That's something the manga artist decided to focus on.
G S Palmer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:59 am Reply with quote
Well, this seemed kind of inevitable (not saying that in a bad way). Not surprised that White Fox got it, since they seem to be the go-to studio for darker fantasy light novel adaptations. And they've done fairly well so far, so I'm not complaining.

I read a few chapters of the manga a while back, and while it didn't immediately hook me, I've been intending to pick up the light novel because I occasionally just feel the need for a good plain fantasy series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4