• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Goblin Slayer Light Novel Series Gets TV Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Enrique Suárez

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:18 pm Reply with quote
White Fox should pick up the Berserk series Sad

Hell yeah! finally the Goblin Slayer anime, rape and gore should NOT be censored, can't wait!! Smile
G S Palmer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:26 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if this has anything to do with the recently-announced delay of White Fox's other current project, Arifureta?

Enrique Suárez wrote:
White Fox should pick up the Berserk series Sad

You know what I would like to see? Masaaki Yuasa's take on Berserk. While watching Devilman Crybaby, I started thinking that he could make something very interesting out of the series. Plus his crazy style would probably be the closest you could get to Miura's art, since no anime is really going to be able to do it justice.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:55 pm Reply with quote
First Akame ga KILL!, then Re:Zero, now Goblin Slayer. WHITE FOX sure loves their violent fantasy adaptations.
Calsolum

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Sunny milk wrote:
Protag, who kills goblins in a gory atmosphere, while dark forces brew in the background, hmm sounds good...
Quote:
surrounded by random harem

...and into the trash it goes.

I don't know where you got the 'random harem' part from but that couldn't be further from the truth.
The girls who show affection toward him are certainly more than a few but this MC just simply doesn't care.
If he had to choose between boning any girl of his choice at any time VS killing a random goblin he'd choose the latter every single time. Other alternatives include preparing his equipment for goblin slaying, researching the location of goblin nests, patrolling known areas of goblin nests etc.
You get the pattern I assume, Goblin slayer is a Goblin slayer first and foremost he has no time or importantly interest in anything else.

But if that one description is enough to turn you off then what a shame, you know where the 'x' button is.

Harleyquin wrote:
Only thing I've read about the source material is that its unique selling point is the titular Goblin Slayer's single-minded quest to achieve ethnic cleansing. Everything and everyone else is just along for the ride until the Goblin Slayer either fulfils his goal or dies trying.

Should be entertaining for the action. Don't know how much of the other 18+ elements will make it into the animated adaptation, but answers should be clear when more details are released.

yeah, what he does near the end of the first 'arc' is very dark and IMO a bit cruel... but he has his reasons and in contrast with the lead up to that point and explanation of the alternative it becomes a 'necessary evil'
I hope they don't censor anything at all though part of what really hooked me was that very scene above and the moral ambiguity of it.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Great news and the light novels are a good example of a violent fantasy world. The anime will probably be toned down for broadcast reasons but if they even briefly show what the goblins do with women it will easily be the most controversial show of the season.

Sunny milk wrote:
Protag, who kills goblins in a gory atmosphere, while dark forces brew in the background, hmm sounds good...
Quote:

Did you just look at the covers of the light novels and make that assumption? The main adventure party is three men and two women. I won't deny that some of the women are beautiful which is why they put them on the covers but the story is mainly about killing goblins.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Guess I need to hurry and read vol 1 of the light novel that's been sitting on my shelf for over a year so I know what I'm in for.
Calsolum

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
Guess I need to hurry and read vol 1 of the light novel that's been sitting on my shelf for over a year so I know what I'm in for.

actually, with the anime coming out I'd hold off on that.
The anime will naturally have to cut some content thats just what happens going from text to video so watching the anime first and then reading the book to 'fill in the gaps' has always worked best for me.
I've got the 3 LN on the shelf myself
That said I'd recommend buying the rest of the LNs cause every sale helps show the publishers that the book is in demand.
Łukasz Kawosz

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Yune Amagiri wrote:
Most of them best isekai LN keep getting new anime announcement or sequel recently, this era is just perfect for otakus like me, can't stop smiling and dancing ! Laughing

It's not isekai dummy.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Calsolum wrote:
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:

actually, with the anime coming out I'd hold off on that.
The anime will naturally have to cut some content thats just what happens going from text to video so watching the anime first and then reading the book to 'fill in the gaps' has always worked best for me.
I've got the 3 LN on the shelf myself
That said I'd recommend buying the rest of the LNs cause every sale helps show the publishers that the book is in demand.

I'd still much rather read the source material before the anime comes out. One of the problems I had with both DanMachi anime is that they cut out a good chunk of material (ESPECIALLY Sword Oratoria).
Shinuki

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Sunny milk wrote:
Quote:

Yeah, together with your trashy and ignorant comment, you doesn't even know what is talking about, typical Laughing
Ashabel

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Utsuro no Hako wrote:
You can tell who's read the manga instead of the LN here. In the books, the rapiness is dealt with in just a couple lines, with no gory descriptions. That's something the manga artist decided to focus on.

Pretty much this.

All the rape the series is notorious for exists only in the manga because the mangaka has a rape fetish. Given that the anime will be based on the original novels, there is no reason to expect it at all.
rahzel rose
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Ashabel wrote:
Utsuro no Hako wrote:
You can tell who's read the manga instead of the LN here. In the books, the rapiness is dealt with in just a couple lines, with no gory descriptions. That's something the manga artist decided to focus on.

Pretty much this.

All the rape the series is notorious for exists only in the manga because the mangaka has a rape fetish. Given that the anime will be based on the original novels, there is no reason to expect it at all.

This is reassuring because I'm intrigued about the series as a whole, but I am absolutely not down for the rape aspect of it at all.

On another note, everyone keeps mentioning the gore. And while I'm mostly okay with animated violence, I kind of like to know what I'm getting into so I'm not blindsided by it. On a scale of Gantz to Devilman Crybaby . . . ?
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:26 pm Reply with quote
rahzel rose wrote:

On another note, everyone keeps mentioning the gore. And while I'm mostly okay with animated violence, I kind of like to know what I'm getting into so I'm not blindsided by it. On a scale of Gantz to Devilman Crybaby . . . ?

It's your typical fantasy violence with sword and axes, so really it depends on how the director wants to handle it. It could end up anywhere between Lord of the Rings and Game of Thrones.
taster of pork

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:33 pm Reply with quote
I just hope it doesn't get the CG treatment like Berserk got.

Last edited by taster of pork on Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
MsVitchDa2nd

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:11 am Reply with quote
Takkun4343 wrote:
First Akame ga KILL!, then Re:Zero, now Goblin Slayer. WHITE FOX sure loves their violent fantasy adaptations.

Well they got Steins:Gate 0 for another mindfuckery this coming spring =D
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4