• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dragon Ball Recasts Bulma With Aya Hisakawa After Hiromi Tsuru's Passing

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
1dbad

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:10 am Reply with quote
Aya Hisakawa is one of my all-time favorite voice actors. I've loved her in everything I've heard her in and I'm sure this will be no exception. Bulma's in good hands.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:53 am Reply with quote
I also loved Aya Hisakawa a lot and she has a very diverse range. I'll miss HIromi Tsuru but I'm sure Ms. Hisakawa will do a terrific job as Bulma that will make Ms. Tsuru proud.
anddo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:11 am Reply with quote
What's most surprising to me is that they had Tsuru's lines recorded for DBS 128, where Bulma's voice is heard by Vegeta in a sentimental flashback. That's really neat.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:52 am Reply with quote
While I'll always remember Aya Hisakawa (who is my favorite Japanese VA) as the Sailor Soldier of the planet closest to the sun, I've listened to her voicing of Bulma and while it's a bit higher pitched, it's very spot on, I think she's going to do a really good job in the long run, and from what I've read on some radio drama thing, she's really good at imitating others' voices (once imitated Kikuko Inoue and Sakura Tange's voices). I wonder if she'd be able to voice Hiromi's role in Ghost Sweeper Mikami also...

It still makes me wonder why they didn't recast her as Mercury in Crystal, it wouldn't have been that hard to call her in, but oh well. It wouldn't have saved that series anyway.

Last edited by Sailor Sedna on Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:57 am Reply with quote
mrsatan wrote:
Hisakawa is a really great choice. She's one of the best in the business and has a similar voice to Tsuru.

When it comes to recasting a character that sporadically appears in a franchise (like the Ramen Chef in "Naruto"), similar-sounding voices are probably not as much of an issue. The major to lead characters are where it is an issue.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2