• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Coo, Gurren-Lagann, 'Kafka' Win Media Arts Awards

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kurotsuki

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Haha , That's great for Gurren-Lagann , however I just can't help but think when i hear "Excellence in Animation" and "Gurren-Lagann" in the same sentence of " 40%" even though it turned out to be more or less a rumor.
Ryllharu

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Nice to see both Gurren-Lagann and Dennou Coil recognized. Two very different styles, but both are fantastically done.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:46 pm Reply with quote
How the *bleep* can MGS4 win if no one's played it?!
HyperGatack

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:33 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
How the *bleep* can MGS4 win if no one's played it?!

Snake is just that Manly.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:20 am Reply with quote
YES!! Denno Coil baby! You better recognize!

It's a really great show. I still have yet to finish it. But from what I have seen of the show I LOVE it! Surprised I think it's one of the best and most highly original shows this year. I didn't think it was popular in Japan based on the TV rankings. But apparently, it had a high enough audience to put it near the top of the list against other shows airing that were more popular. Compared to 'Kurau' [in 2004], 'Denno Coil' got more attention. Hell, even 'Witchblade' got a reasonable amount of attention.

The best thing about the show is that it's got that 'Ghibli' feel to it. Then you find out why. Practically the majority of the staff [some ex-staff members] were involved with 'Ghibli Studios' on past projects. Even one of the staff members from 'Eureka 7' who also worked with 'Ghibli Studios' worked on 'Denno Coil'.

It's been awhile since I'd ever been "goo-goo ga-ga" over a show [since Kurau] that seemed under the radar. It's DEFINITELY on my wishlist if it ever gets licensed. I would definitely recommend it to the art college library [where I work]. Hell, I'll even buy it for them!

I guess 'Gainax' does it again with 'Gurren-Lagann'. I probably will never get why this show became so popular as I couldn't get into it. But I'm sure based on 'Gainax's creativity it wasn't going to be just another run of the mill show. I'll probably give it another try. I have to admit it is very over the top.

MGS4? Wow! That's interesting.

I really want to see 'Coo' I've heard so many good things about it. We need to get more of these types of features over here.

Congrats, to the winners of these awards! Smile Very Happy
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
I guess 'Gainax' does it again with 'Gurren-Lagann'. I probably will never get why this show became so popular as I couldn't get into it. But I'm sure based on 'Gainax's creativity it wasn't going to be just another run of the mill show. I'll probably give it another try. I have to admit it is very over the top.

how far did you watch it? the show doesn't really get going until episode 7. 15 alone justifies the award.

i still need to watch Denno Coil. i quit after the first episode, and never got back around to it.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:48 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
Chrno2 wrote:

how far did you watch it? the show doesn't really get going until episode 7. 15 alone justifies the award.

i still need to watch Denno Coil. i quit after the first episode, and never got back around to it.

I think I only watched up to maybe 5. Then I went back and watched ep. 4. Oh gawd. That ep. was STRANGE!!! Can't believe this episode caused such a stir.

Oh I will try again. I mean 26 episodes isn't hard to do. But I think it was because it was so overwhelming. Once I do that I'll be able decide my feelings on it. If it's not for me, I'll at least recommend it to my job for others to see. That's showing my full support.

*Where some folks can stop at like maybe 4 episodes, I can go the whole length for the sake of finding out if it's for me. Provided it grabs and holds my attention enough to keep me from giving up.

You stopped at 1? That was a great opening episode. I suggest you try again. I mean, I know this is not going to be for everyone. But from what I've peeked at on forums things do pick up later in the series. That's coming from someone who's only watched up to ep. 5. I had to go on hiatus and watch other things because I wanted to see more. Fans did complain a bit at the "pacing" issues. But it was still such a fun little show that such technical matters can be overlooked. It happens. Sometimes you have to stick in there to see what a show has to offer. If you can't then it might not be for you. But sometimes you find yourself giving it one more try at a later date.

So me 'Gurren Lagann', you 'Denno Coil'. Wink
Siegel Clyne

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:50 pm Reply with quote
It is nice to see a work of Koji Yamamura, one of Japan's most critically acclaimed animators around the world, receive recognition in his homeland.

Yamamura has won numerous international awards, including his latest from Rome.
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
v1cious wrote:
Chrno2 wrote:

I think I only watched up to maybe 5. Then I went back and watched ep. 4. Oh gawd. That ep. was STRANGE!!! Can't believe this episode caused such a stir.

Oh I will try again. I mean 26 episodes isn't hard to do. But I think it was because it was so overwhelming. Once I do that I'll be able decide my feelings on it. If it's not for me, I'll at least recommend it to my job for others to see. That's showing my full support.

*Where some folks can stop at like maybe 4 episodes, I can go the whole length for the sake of finding out if it's for me. Provided it grabs and holds my attention enough to keep me from giving up.

You stopped at 1? That was a great opening episode. I suggest you try again. I mean, I know this is not going to be for everyone. But from what I've peeked at on forums things do pick up later in the series. That's coming from someone who's only watched up to ep. 5. I had to go on hiatus and watch other things because I wanted to see more. Fans did complain a bit at the "pacing" issues. But it was still such a fun little show that such technical matters can be overlooked. It happens. Sometimes you have to stick in there to see what a show has to offer. If you can't then it might not be for you. But sometimes you find yourself giving it one more try at a later date.

So me 'Gurren Lagann', you 'Denno Coil'. Wink

deal. the holidays are coming up, so i'll have a lot of free time.
shirokiryuu

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:19 pm Reply with quote
YESSS Dennou coil! One of my favorite series! I'm glad it's being awarded, it really deserves it, it's such a quality production. I drool for more episodes every time I watch it.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:19 am Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:

Agreed. A bit too over the top for my tastes. I loved the first episode, but after that I was getting more and more annoyed with the series. So much so that I was considering dropping it after watching 7 episodes, and watching the preview for episode 8 sealed the deal. I just can't believe that GAINAX just had to spoil that episode so blatantly. *shakes head*

Still, I'll probably give Gurren-Lagann another try ..... Eventually. It will be hard to jump back in, already knowing what happens in episode 8.

Denno Coil though, man I just love that series. Although I'm quite far behind at the moment (there were other things that I wanted to watch more), it's surely one of the better series to come out this year. Once all 26 episodes are out, I plan to marathon the series. Totally deserving of the award.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:41 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
deal. the holidays are coming up, so i'll have a lot of free time.

Same here. I'll be off from work from the college so I'll be using that time to catch up before New Years. I like 'GGG' and some robot shows. Can't say that I like everything 'Gainax' does. I Iiked 'Eva' but not for the same reason the 'Eva' fanatics like it. But I do want to see what the end for this series entails. As I had "certain" feelings about the show's plot when I first started watching.

Jedi General wrote:
Denno Coil though, man I just love that series. Although I'm quite far behind at the moment (there were other things that I wanted to watch more), it's surely one of the better series to come out this year. Once all 26 episodes are out, I plan to marathon the series. Totally deserving of the award.

Same here. That's why I had to go on hiatus, I liked the show too much to settle for 1 ep. at a time. I'd already watched the first 3 eps like 3 times already. I've watched up to up to ep. 5 and took a vacation. So once the last few eps come out it's 'Denno Coil' marathon baby! It's been a long wait [hard to believe the series is over finally] but it was worth it.

If they ever release it here I'm sooooooooo getting it. Guess I'll have to put it on my shelf next to 'Figure 17' and 'Kurau' for slice-of life stories about kids and original storytelling.

Good luck with 'Gurren Lagann' as well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1