• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Speed Racer Film Shots Posted, Trailer to Run Thursday

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roy9076

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Holy crap! Car looks sweet!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Which is more than I can say for Speed. Good God, the hair, the hair. Laughing

I wonder if the trailer will have him do his famous gasps?
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:46 pm Reply with quote
O...M...GAWD!!!! O...M...GAWD!! This is looking really nice!

It's like they got it right!

Man, I hope that's a kid. I'd be afraid if that was some guy playing a kid. No CG chimp, we got a real one!

When does this movie come out? I may have to see this! Don't know about 'Christina Ricci' though. But why does that scene of the girl with the flashy dress remind me of that scene from 'Grease'?

Oh man this is too sweet!
Splitter

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Want. Trailer. NOW.
Proz512

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Could we possibly be seeing a live-action anime which doesn't suck and looks cool? I think I just saw a pig fly by my monitor. It might have been a chimp.
Berserkfury819

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Freakin' Sweet! (starts spazzing on the floor)
MJP

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Am I the lone dissenting opinion? Those frames look terrible. The CG is way too CG to be believed. The car itself looks great if that's a real model or the real thing, but everything else other than the actors and the car are far too cartoonish. It was the same with the Transformers movie... it was more like live-action* instead of live-action. Don't even get me started about Racer X's outfit. They kept Speed's and maybe Trixie's, but who hired the people that did the X-Men uniforms from the movies to get him in that pseudo-bondage getup? Yes, he did wear the mask. That's fine, it works. But everything else looks way too melodramatic gimpish.

If the trailer looks better with everything in motion, I'd give it a shot, but based on the frames on that site, I'd rather spend the money it costs to go out for dinner and a movie on actual old episodes of Speed Racer off Ebay.
Kyo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Oh my god how amazing it looks.
I cannot wait to see the trailer!

Edit: I just had to laugh a little. The third picture looks more like a picture from a Sonic movie to me. :lol:
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:30 pm Reply with quote
MJP wrote:
Am I the lone dissenting opinion? Those frames look terrible. The CG is way too CG to be believed. The car itself looks great if that's a real model or the real thing, but everything else other than the actors and the car are far too cartoonish. It was the same with the Transformers movie... it was more like live-action* instead of live-action. Don't even get me started about Racer X's outfit. They kept Speed's and maybe Trixie's, but who hired the people that did the X-Men uniforms from the movies to get him in that pseudo-bondage getup? Yes, he did wear the mask. That's fine, it works. But everything else looks way too melodramatic gimpish.

If the trailer looks better with everything in motion, I'd give it a shot, but based on the frames on that site, I'd rather spend the money it costs to go out for dinner and a movie on actual old episodes of Speed Racer off Ebay.

I'm going to be with you. The backgrounds, from what I can see so far, are a bit much. Rather Garish in fact.

I, for right now, am going to withhold futher comment until I can see the trailer. Hopefully, it's better than the stills.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:53 pm Reply with quote
I like the car. >_> A lot.
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:31 pm Reply with quote
i saw the trailer earlier on Entertainment Tonight. it looks cheesy... but in a good way. there's some stuff they could have done without though. i mean come on guys, speed lines in live action? Laughing
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:52 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
i saw the trailer earlier on Entertainment Tonight. it looks cheesy... but in a good way. there's some stuff they could have done without though. i mean come on guys, speed lines in live action? Laughing

I just watched it a little bit ago myself. It looks like it's primarly shot with CG. It doesn't look like any of the races are "real."

I think that Matthew Fox is going to be far more interesting to watch than the guy playing Speed.
Shokara

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:55 pm Reply with quote
It's not meant to look realistic. The Wachowskis are purposely going for a cartoonish look. They stated early on that with the cg backgrounds they're making sure that every element is in focus to give everything a more flattened 2-D feel as if it were a cartoon. The fact that they also got their hands on the entire sound library of music and sound effects from the original series should also say something.
jdnation

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Trailer is here! Looks awesome to me! Razz
http://movies.aol.com/movie/speed-racer-2008/28066/main
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Looks alright, but it seems like they're focusing more on the "characterization" than the action.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5