• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Berserk (2016) BD/DVD

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Merxamers

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:12 am Reply with quote
Surprised to see such a positive review of this, tbh. Is the CG better in this set than what was shown in the broadcast? I saw a comparison on twitter between the live broadcast quality and what was on the japanese blurays, and it was like night and day difference.

Also, it's funny you mention the OST; i'm sure it's great, but all i remember from the couple episodes i watched is that one "Blood AND Guts AND Blood AND Guts AND Blood...." musical bit Anime hyper
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:20 am Reply with quote
My interest in Berserk 2016 waned when they thought to include Casca getting tentacle raped in the opening credits. Was only downhill from there.
Zeino

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:31 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Animation: B

Forgive me if I'm skeptical that they somehow improved the janky early PlayStation 2 game-like graphics that much for the Blu-ray. And I'm not even going to bother trying to argue why it's a terrible botched adaptation in nearly all other aspects.
Dr.N0

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:50 am Reply with quote
Merxamers wrote:
Is the CG better in this set than what was shown in the broadcast?

I have the same question.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:52 am Reply with quote
Merxamers wrote:
Surprised to see such a positive review of this, tbh. Is the CG better in this set than what was shown in the broadcast? I saw a comparison on twitter between the live broadcast quality and what was on the japanese blurays, and it was like night and day difference.

Also, it's funny you mention the OST; i'm sure it's great, but all i remember from the couple episodes i watched is that one "Blood AND Guts AND Blood AND Guts AND Blood...." musical bit Anime hyper

I might have to rewatch it on the discs I bought recently because when I first watched it, there were points in each episode where the poor quality jumped out at me. It wasn't enough to ruin it for me, which is probably a testament to the quality of the story more than anything, but it was a consistent problem.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:58 am Reply with quote
I didn't watch the series during the original stream, so I'll have to leave it to someone else to make the side-by-side comparison. I'm not the only ANN reviewer who has rated the animation that high, though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Scalfin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:01 am Reply with quote
Quote:
stylistically divisive

I don't think whoever wrote the blurb knows what "divisive" means, in much the same manner as the ANN writer who described the reception of Black Clover's early episodes as "mixed."
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Even if you cold get past the problematic CG,the show still has it's issues. The direction is lacking at a ton of points,with the shot composition not being strong in a lot of cases. The use music was poor at a ton of points (Griffith's rebirth being an example). The music itself was just monotonous (they sure loved to use Hai Yo at any given opportunity).Sound design was also lacking at points.

Haven't watched season 2,but heard it's problems were even worse than here.
scriver058

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:48 pm Reply with quote
It's an adaptation of a phenomenal manga that doesn't stray far from it's source material, the music is on point and the action scenes are well done, so it's a win for me. CG would not have been my ideal style for this, but I've always felt that in a messy, chaotic sense it fits Berserk, and it obviously has it's issues but this is far from the first anime I really enjoyed that was visually problematic at times, and won't be the last. And I never felt the SD elements were out of place; Berserk isn't meant to be oppressively dark all the time especially for where the story goes post Eclipse, and the SD never stepped on a moment that's supposed to be serious like they did in FMA Brotherhood's first 12 eps.
danpmss

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Dr.N0 wrote:
Merxamers wrote:
Is the CG better in this set than what was shown in the broadcast?

I have the same question.

Yes.
They fixed many issues with the animation in the bluray release.

Not sure about the second season, but here, the show became much more asthetically... "pleasing" than before.

Also they reanimated scenes completely in 2D as well, which is also a nice touch.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:59 pm Reply with quote
For people who claim this anime had PS2 era CG let me tell you something. There actually was a Berserk PS2 game and it had better CG then this anime. And better pacing. And better voice acting.
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:30 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
For people who claim this anime had PS2 era CG let me tell you something. There actually was a Berserk PS2 game and it had better CG then this anime. And better pacing. And better voice acting.

Was there a ps2 game? I own the Dreamcast one.
tintor2

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:48 pm Reply with quote
I was trying to get into the series, but I couldn't find it as entertaining as I hoped. All the stuff about the church feel quite obvious in regards to the show's message, while the characters can be quite unlikable. The worst thing is that "the MC gets better" is often said... after 28 volumes of serialization. Even the conflict with Griffith is barely mentioned and the weirdest thing is that the author could only write almost 40 volumes in about three decades with Araki writing over 100 volumes in about the same time.
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:50 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:

Well that was back before those Golden age films had to change massively the cast from 1997 anime. Don't exactly know why considering Canna and Morikawa aren't exactly sounding too old for the roles. The only vocal replacement that had merit was Zodd and that's because Utsumi passed away.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:39 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
Was there a ps2 game? I own the Dreamcast one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berserk:_Millennium_Falcon_Hen_Seima_Senki_no_Shō
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2