• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Record of Grancrest War (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Rossini is referenced in the first episode as the tyrant who controls Theo's homeland, the removal of which is Theo's main motivation. Theo, meanwhile, has taken the name of a folk hero from his homeland, which Rossini sees as a threat (I think).

Rossini's come up a few more times. The original plan was for Theo to defect to the alliance once he established himself, which would allow him to attack Rossini (from the union), but Mourning Princess (the alliance leader) refused.

Last edited by Yttrbio on Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cam0

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Ugh. I hate it when a show mentions a name and expects me to remember it many episodes later.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:36 pm Reply with quote
To be fair, I only guessed "is this the guy who...?" and had to go back and confirm. It was mostly through process of elimination (what other characters haven't we seen that Theo has a relationship with).

What's weird is that, as the prime motivator of our main character, we should all already know about him and be thinking about him, but we're not, because Theo hasn't had much time to be a character, so his life's ambition is just sort of a "oh yeah, he mentioned that" kind of thing. This is another place where running the show on fast forward in the early phases is hurting it.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:59 pm Reply with quote
I just assumed it was a guy mentioned earlier that I think was mentioned was putting heavy taxes on Theo's homeland, and thus his main drive. I could not think of anyone else that would get that reaction from Theo.

It does seem a sad case how this show has ended up. It seems to be that they think that going through the material is enough, but that is not how an actual good adaption works. You have to make the audience feel, and for that we need a good idea of motivations, which this show speeds through too much. It is getting to a point that they no doubt are making good progress with story beats, but am actually finding myself care less about the main duo. I think that they would have done better if they did not worry so much about getting to some plot goal post, and just focus on making what is here good.
phia_one

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:59 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
It does seem a sad case how this show has ended up. It seems to be that they think that going through the material is enough, but that is not how an actual good adaption works. You have to make the audience feel, and for that we need a good idea of motivations, which this show speeds through too much. It is getting to a point that they no doubt are making good progress with story beats, but am actually finding myself care less about the main duo. I think that they would have done better if they did not worry so much about getting to some plot goal post, and just focus on making what is here good.

It's a double shame imo that I haven't felt excited about the show since episode 5. That was the only time the show successfully got me invested in what was happening.
Cam0

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Episode 9

Well, something interesting finally happened. It was so refreshing to see Theo being aware of Siluca's feelings and Siluca proclaim her love without some awkward "I-I-I... like you" confession. It was actually quite a romantic and satisfying scene.

Mirza betraying Villar and allying with Marrine was something the opening had already given away so I kinda expected it. Mirza coercing Marrine to have sex with him was an unexpected plot twist, like something out of Game of Thrones.
raics

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:13 am Reply with quote
It did get pretty gameofthronesy in last few episodes, the war is getting dirtier. Which is a good thing, the show had a fairly high level of violence from the start and it would always seem kinda jarring as the story was fairly tame, now it doesn't seem nearly as off.

It's a strange show, no idea what the source material is like, but if I tried making sense of the whole thing it could be they're playing on the 'record' part so it gives off the detached vibe of watching a documentary? Until they serve an unexpectedly well done micro level scene out of nowhere, like the above mentioned ones.
Cam0

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Episode 10

Ok, so Villar's brother rides off into the distance and is then found hiding in a bush by Solon, king of something, may he rest in peace whoever he was. And it seems Theo and Siluca are in a tough situation, I wonder how they're going to beat those odds... Oh, they won? Well, ok...? Milza coming to carve up Villar is actually a bit interesting since both are at least established characters.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Episode 13

Hmm, this episode was surprisingly good. From Theo being at a disadvantage of a frustrating amount from the fear of the people, to him able to making a stand that will no doubt start a rebellion.
TexZero

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:55 pm Reply with quote
I cannot express the joy episode 14 brought for me enough.
The action was on point and the world building is starting to pay off.

Also, the mid 90's blood fountain was something i had almost forgotten i needed in anime (when done right).
dharlow

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 8:46 pm Reply with quote
that I am now only watching to get to the end. Ep 17 was satisfying up until the last minute. No spoilers, but it just made me HATE a particular character even more than before.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Episode 19

Alexis was pretty awesome in this episode, with him in action he has shown himself to actually be a very talented tactician. Does feel like they woke up a sleeping lion. Still, is annoying that Marrine is still being pushed as a sympathetic character. She was questioning why he would get involved, but did she perhaps think it had something to do with all his people she kept slaughtering.

Marrine is a monster, she has committed war crimes, rejected peace because it did not give her the optimum power or murder someone that dared to face her, showed no mercy while abusing agreed upon rules, and sought the aid and services of other monsters so that they can do terrible things. She is acting like it is nothing personal, that she wants to give peace to someone like Alexis, but she has also brought personal grudges into conflict, that she is one big hypocrite. She says she wants peace, but refuses anything but slaughter, and that the slaughter of his people could be of any help to Alexis. She might think she has noble causes, but her actions are the exact sort of chaos that humanity in the show is itself facing. Not even sympathy for her crying from killing her cousin, because it was she who decided to solve it on the battlefield rather than talk.

Siluca is most certainly correct that the mage academy is responsible for the attack at the beginning of the series, and thus the current conflict. They likely feared that if the grancrest was made, the demons could be stopped for good, the lords might no longer require the mages as advisors, and the academy would lose its sway over all the nations. This seemed rather evident earlier on when the academy were way to quick to attribute the head demon assassination at the beginning of the series to the witch, dolling out rewards to Theo as a way for him to not think about it. It may have been the academy that turned to witch into who she was, to make her into a scapegoat. One would wonder if Marrine might see that the academy has played her for a full in causing so much slaughter. Wonder if Siluca's father is aware of it, or perhaps even involved, despite how he looks he has acted as a bit of a scumbag in how he has sort of undermined Siluca wanting to solve things without bloodshed.
dharlow

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 11:28 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Episode 19

Alexis was pretty awesome in this episode, with him in action he has shown himself to actually be a very talented tactician. Does feel like they woke up a sleeping lion. Still, is annoying that Marrine is still being pushed as a sympathetic character. She was questioning why he would get involved, but did she perhaps think it had something to do with all his people she kept slaughtering.

Marrine is a monster, she has committed war crimes, rejected peace because it did not give her the optimum power or murder someone that dared to face her, showed no mercy while abusing agreed upon rules, and sought the aid and services of other monsters so that they can do terrible things. She is acting like it is nothing personal, that she wants to give peace to someone like Alexis, but she has also brought personal grudges into conflict, that she is one big hypocrite. She says she wants peace, but refuses anything but slaughter, and that the slaughter of his people could be of any help to Alexis. She might think she has noble causes, but her actions are the exact sort of chaos that humanity in the show is itself facing. Not even sympathy for her crying from killing her cousin, because it was she who decided to solve it on the battlefield rather than talk.

Siluca is most certainly correct that the mage academy is responsible for the attack at the beginning of the series, and thus the current conflict. They likely feared that if the grancrest was made, the demons could be stopped for good, the lords might no longer require the mages as advisors, and the academy would lose its sway over all the nations. This seemed rather evident earlier on when the academy were way to quick to attribute the head demon assassination at the beginning of the series to the witch, dolling out rewards to Theo as a way for him to not think about it. It may have been the academy that turned to witch into who she was, to make her into a scapegoat. One would wonder if Marrine might see that the academy has played her for a full in causing so much slaughter. Wonder if Siluca's father is aware of it, or perhaps even involved, despite how he looks he has acted as a bit of a scumbag in how he has sort of undermined Siluca wanting to solve things without bloodshed.

I have to agree with everything you posted, especially the part about Marrine. She is NOT a sympathetic character and if she finds happiness in the end, it is not deserved at all.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Episode 20:

Can you imagine what this show would be like if told from the perspective of the soldiers?

"And then the duke had us stand under the sun in full armor in the shape of a flower for hours, on the off chance that a proposal opportunity would come up during the parley."

"Both my sons were lost to the war, along with thousands of others, because some bitch was afraid her boyfriend would get assassinated if she didn't go to war with him."
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 6:42 am Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
"Both my sons were lost to the war, along with thousands of others, because some bitch was afraid her boyfriend would get assassinated if she didn't go to war with him."

So much this. The worst part is that it tries to be sympathetic, when really it would be crushing in a waste of life and destruction of lives, just for one to feel a little bit better.

I am really reminded of that one lazy tactician anime, where the focus was put on war being just a horror. I don't think it is too wrong to straight up say Marrine has done evil, and shouldn't be excused because she thought she was doing it for someone else, or even was aware of it but still get going.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4