• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
March comes in like a lion (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Burnt Field chapters

Never mind the match, the arc was mainly an epic battle between brilliant imagery and tortured metaphor.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:31 am Reply with quote
It did feel bittersweet, I mostly felt sorry for Shimada.
And I guess, as a younger generation who has faced more trouble of being able get a chance (need experience to get a job, can't get experience without a job), I have less sympathy for fearing of losing top position by being pushed out for age. Maybe that sounds a little too bad?

Well regardless, the photo bit was good at being able to release that pent up tension.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:46 am Reply with quote
Season 2, episodes 21 and 22 (Episodes 43 and 44 / Finale)

And it finishes. I thought someone would say HIna's haircut looked like her sister's. These .last episodes were really Hina's, and in general this second season had a lot of HIna, which in general has been a pretty good addition to just Rei. But really, this is all to growth of Rei, that now that he is not just stuck in his head, he seems so much happier, he is looking at others and not just thinking that he is an unwanted burden to everyone. Quite a bit of time was passing towards the end, where we pretty much fast forwarded a great deal through the year with Rei helping Hinata, but I think has shown that Rei has worked to deal with his depression. It is not all gone, the beginning of episode 44 had him visiting his adoptive mother, which has shown that he is able to face parts of his past, it is not hostile at all, but I think he knew that he still can't do something like call it home, and it might have been the last time he would see the dog alive, who did seem to be a supportive element when he was there. But he is allowing himself to be happy, he is not letting just negative thoughts dominate. He was hating himself for distracting HIna by breaking the news her crush would move far away, but still sort of faced the situation by giving her a time the three of them could hang out.

Rei grew so much in this second season, yet it may have been really hard to notice unless you kept in mind how drowned in feelings he was in the first season. How he would endlessly worry about misfortune his winning would be to his opponents, along with the bubbling over of emotion that he is trying his best. How Kyouko made him feel like trash over and over again, and how he had his thoughts centered on Gotou as some oppressive force. How he worried about being a burden to people kind to him, how he left himself alone and sick in his bed suffering, before the sisters came to the rescue, and how was terrified to allow that warmth into his life, because he feared feeling worse afterwards. But, it really was Shimada who helped Rei really move forward in a positive way, spurred on by his best buddy Nikaidou.

Rei, I think, learned what it really feels for those caring for others, how others really felt about him, even if it is not conscious, but thought about how he would want to help them, which led to actually opening up. These last episodes even had Rei looking after a sick Hina, which does bring to mind when he too was sick and they were looking after him. He is so much adult now.

On the Hina side, such a big part of this season has been her story with bullying. It has been hard to sit through at times, because it is so hard to see such a sweet girl have to deal with something that was tearing her apart so much. And everyone else around her felt so useless in being able to help the situation. But this was the show really giving the same insightful and earnest look at the effects of bullying, that it did for depression, there was no easy out, no fantastic situation of all students moved by feelings to suddenly stop it. Compared to even other anime that do bullying, where it may decide to say it is harsh by making it physical and other crazy things, March Comes in Like a Lion really showed just how these things like convincing the other kids to ignore her, and what they think are just pranks to her belongings, can be incredibly painful. How the stress of responsibility of trying to fix it can be difficult for those like teachers, but the real hard work from someone able to seriously handle it, can really mean the world. It was treated seriously, and a great deal of sympathy for those involved.

It felt like there was a lot to go through. Hard things. But even though a lot of it was hard, I still think this series can be kind of great for those having a hard time, to show that other people are going through things too, and still the world is not a hopelessly dark place that it feels like. I rate second season as Excellent (9/10). I really liked it.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Here's hoping for season 3. I cannot die in peace until I've seen chapter 104 animated!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7