• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Legends of VHS Fansubs: Who is Miami Mike?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:54 pm Reply with quote
I normally have a set group of podcasts I save for work, but i was sorta expecting to get the answer right here. If the answer was cool and compelling I could listen to the podcast perhaps later for more detail, but I just blazed through a whole article, and as I read it I told an irc group someone solved the Miami Mike case. So here they are waiting for me to 'finish the story' and now I have to listen to a podcast and then explain some more. The whole point of investigative journalism is because not everyone has the free time to do it on their own.

This article just should have been the podcast or the article. I shouldn't have to read the book and watch the movie for a full experience. Same principle applies. For my personal case I work 6 days a week outside in bad weather. Today i get to sit in and soak things in, so my hours are precious. This becomes unsatisfying when the article was a paragraph or two from finishing the entire story, but now extended by an hour.
JeffreySweeney

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:59 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to chime in as well and just say that I expected to find out who Miami Mike was and what he did by reading the article. I skimmed through the article and did not get my answer, thus the disappointment. Not everyone wants to invest the time into listening to a hour long podcast, especially when a clear and concise answer could have easily been given in the article itself. You can call me petty or not, but it doesn't change the simple facts I've laid out. What about those who are deaf and can't listen to the podcast? They're basically screwed out of getting an answer to the question.
LightningCount

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:06 pm Reply with quote
I'm looking forward to listening to the podcast, and I think the edits made to the introduction make it clear what this article is. Having visited an anime store in the late 90s (Anime Nation) and stumbled across a new startup one by a former industry employee circa 2011, I'm intrigued to learn about another facet of that business. And this article as it stands now does serve as an intriguing prologue with a lot of key background information.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:49 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
I can't believe I read the whole thing just to be bait-and-switched at the end. No way am I listening to a 1 hour podcast just to get an answer to a question I never asked. As Vaisaga said, Bad form. At least have what you said in the title in the actual article, ANN.

Think we're getting a few new-recruit columnists who aren't "in" ANN, and still use columns in connection with podcasts, whether ANN podcasts or third-party.
And yes, I would have rather read either a complete article-column series ABOUT the Legends of VHS Fansubs days, or just a podcast announcement, but either put "Advertorial" on the column, or tell us for the record what Miami Mike did, now that we have the one new archeological discovery to his identity. Us older folk (yes, I dimly remember that screen now) will fill in the rest of the history.
Not like any of us ever listen to fan podcasts anyway.

Vaisaga wrote:
I commend him for making the changes, but from his comments I got the impression that he doesn't think there was actually anything wrong and only made said changes to get us "whiners" to shut up. If he doesn't understand why others took issue with it then this sort of thing will likely repeat and before you know it we'll get 'articles' that say "Top 10 Anime Betrayals! Number 1 will shock you!"

"Sasami from the 90's Tenchi series went to GXP prison, you wouldn't believe what she looks like TODAY!!" Razz

Blood- wrote:
I have to say I'm glad I didn't become an anime fan until 2009. I don't mind missing the fansubbed VHS tape days at all. Compared to what fans of yore had to endure, we've got it easy. Simulcast streams of virtually everything and physical releases in gorgeous HD for the majority of titles that come out of Japan. Good old days? No thanks!

You also missed out on the GOOD (i.e. classic, mainstream, non-fanservice) anime, even if you had to be that much more of a "united" diehard fan to send money orders or whole VHS tapes through the mail back then to do it.
Yes, it's nice that I can watch the whole 90's Cardcaptor Sakura subbed and dubbed on CR without that monthly struggle for Kodocha Fansubs' purple "Big Barney" tapes, but there was something special about digging up rare mystical archeological treasures you couldn't find anywhere else...Now that, I would write a column series about myself if anyone asked me. Very Happy

There wouldn't be a "mystique" about anime today if it'd been as easy as a cheap Stranger Things streaming-binge back then.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:02 pm Reply with quote
So it is one of those listen to the podcast endings?
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:31 pm Reply with quote
While I see the author's intention, I can also see how some people would see the article as Click Bait.
gravediggernalk
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:10 pm Reply with quote
I love neat features like these. It's like the flip-side of the old "Tales Of The Industry" column.

Aside: Having not read the article until after the changes were made, I'll definitely say that the changes are great. I went into it expecting the main story to be in the podcast, so props to Zac (or whomever else made changes) for effectiveness.
Primus

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:53 pm Reply with quote
G S Palmer wrote:
Also, it seems kind of unbecoming for an ANN staffer to be in the forum harassing someone who felt that the article was a bait and switch. They felt disappointed; leave it at that. You really shouldn't be going after them, especially since I've seen you guys state that you're "receptive to feedback". Plus, you should take it as a compliment that they could get invested enough in the article to care.

I think it's far more constructive to have Zac respond to comments than the typical response of ignoring feedback and just passive aggressively whining on Twitter.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:08 pm Reply with quote
I for one dislike/hate podcasts but this article was so good and interesting that I wanted to check the podcast and loved every minute. No annoying personal views and aimless/off topic talking but was well focused, time-managed and relatable.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Oh, lighten up.
SciasSlash wrote:
you're the one getting hugely defensive over mild criticism dude
Blood- wrote:
I am far from a Zac supporter, but even I have to say I think he has kept a pretty decent level of sangfroid in the face of some pretty petty and obnoxiously articulated views.
I feel compelled to agree with Blood-. If I were to make a complaint -- and I really am not inclined to do so -- then I would say that spoiler[that the fact that Pat is conjecturing about what the Ctenosaur fansub group may have been complaining about. Don't get me wrong -- I think that that Pat's conjecture is eminently reasonable; but, still, conjecture is not certainty.] Perhaps I am being overly semantic. On a different topic.....

Dawn H.--
Regarding the following line:
You wrote:
And where some of my favorite anime series really as good as I remember them?
If where is not a typo, then please consult this. I enjoyed the podcast and I wish you well.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Confidential to the people who are upset about this: You know podcasts are free, right?
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

Quote:

As for the article, I really think you should add some sort of paragraph at the start saying something like "Full story at the "Anime Nostalgia" podcast; this article is to draw attention to a very interesting podcast and only contains a brief overview of the story."

OK, I've added that.

All I see is
Quote:
Legends of VHS Fansubs: Tracking Down Miami Mike
by Dawn H., Mar 11th 2018

This article serves as crucial backstory for this week's episode of The Anime Nostalgia Podcast, which is linked at the end for the full story.

That's still misleading. A "backstory" is very different than "the end of this story is in the podcast". I just read this a minute ago and I agree with others in that I feel like I wasted my time. Savior was in the comments, the person that typed out what Mike actually did. So even after you tried to "fix it", it's still not worded well enough to warn people. The title and intro lines imply that we'll find out who he is and what he did. The article doesn't reveal that. It's click bait. Stating that it's a "backstory" isn't a real warning because backstories still have endings. I expected this to have an ending.

Again, thanks to the hero in the comments who revealed the answer.

I appreciate what you (ANN staff) tried to do with this article. The content itself is good but the execution wasn't. Be upfront about content like this. "The conclusion to this article's story is in this week's episode of The Anime Nostalgia Podcast" would've been a far better warning. Or what the original quote you replied to wrote. That was good. You said "Ok, I've added that " but what you added was completely different.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
Confidential to the people who are upset about this: You know podcasts are free, right?

Time costs money. Also some people are deaf. I can't find a transcript. I'm not personally deaf but I read much faster than people talk. The real problem is the bait and switch this whole article pulled.
wilson_x1999

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:04 pm Reply with quote
I don't post here often and the level of pettiness and whining of the commenters here are the biggest reasons.

Thank you all for reminding me that the worst thing about anime fandom are fans themselves.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Wyvern wrote:

Time costs money. Also some people are deaf. I can't find a transcript. I'm not personally deaf but I read much faster than people talk. The real problem is the bait and switch this whole article pulled.

Also, unless a podcast is site-supported and a little professional (ahemmiketoole) most podcasts tend to be rambling amateurish fanboys with conspiracy theories and rumor-facts. For the same reason, it takes me far less time to read whether a columnist has his facts straight, then to sit and listen for an a half hour to an overconfident conversation you can't jump in on and contradict.

At least when Funi publishes "articles" that are actually hype-machines for their current products, they have the legal decency to tell us.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5