• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Legends of VHS Fansubs: Who is Miami Mike?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JeffreySweeney

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:24 pm Reply with quote
wilson_x1999 wrote:
I don't post here often and the level of pettiness and whining of the commenters here are the biggest reasons.

Thank you all for reminding me that the worst thing about anime fandom are fans themselves.

Petty or whiny or whatever you wanna call it, it is pretty silly to use an article to piggyback into them wanting us to listen to their podcast, and it does feel misleading. When I click on an article expecting an answer, I don't expect to be pointed in another direction to get that answer. Let me go make a YouTube video where I plan to answer a question, only to build up to it, but at the end tell my viewers they need to go watch this other video instead, when I could have just cut out the unnecessary filler, and just answered the question in one video. It's just a waste of everyone's time. At least maybe they'll reconsider doing anything like this again, considering the apparent backlash going on. What if I were deaf and couldn't listen to their podcast? Then I'd really have a legitimate complaint on my hands, so clearly they didn't think things completely through when they decided to do this.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Oh my Lordy I can’t believe you found that business card! How crazy!

I remember the good old printed paper scripts days. That’s how I watched Evangelion for the first time!
CandisWhite

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:03 am Reply with quote
I had never heard of this! I love that it boils down to "You're a doody-head, Mike, for taking my innocent illegal idea and turning a profit the exact same way."

"Not a lot of people requested Candy Candy" Yeah, we English types tended to get hosed on our access to, and knowledge of, classic shojo. Even with a staple like Candy Candy. And by then, that's something you would have HAD to get on bootleg, anyway. (God Bless Mexican bootlegs)

My comic shop seems to be that strong dinosaur hanging on, still selling comics as their main thing. I see guys stopping by after work and people bringing their kids in. The store is a nice little niche store, professionally run but not fancy, where the conversation and atmosphere is still decidedly dorky. But they've got one hell of a setup in their favour: killer location without the price tag to match, a local culture of cars & people actually using them to shop, being on a bus route for those who don't use cars, and a government town that still has people with money even in recessions.
ShaolinWolf

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:05 am Reply with quote
JeffreySweeney wrote:
Petty or whiny or whatever you wanna call it, it is pretty silly to use an article to piggyback into them wanting us to listen to their podcast, and it does feel misleading. When I click on an article expecting an answer, I don't expect to be pointed in another direction to get that answer.

What an entitled attitude. You haven't paid a dime; no one owes you a thing. You don't care enough about this topic to listen to a free 1 hour podcast. Great. Move on.
JeffreySweeney

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:34 am Reply with quote
ShaolinWolf wrote:

What an entitled attitude. You haven't paid a dime; no one owes you a thing. You don't care enough about this topic to listen to a free 1 hour podcast. Great. Move on.

I'm just saying. Yea they don't owe me anything and it's free content, but you're basically ignoring any of the legitimate complaints I've made, and you're only response is acting like I'm being ungrateful because I've pointed out the flaws in this. I guess it sucks for those deaf individuals, few they may be who wouldn't have found out who Miami Mike is if not for that person who posted the answer in this thread. I guess even constructive criticism just comes off as whiny babbling to some people. I cared enough to read a good portion of the article, but I was really disappointed that I have to listen to a long podcast just to get a simple answer. The article was long enough on its own. My time is precious to me and you only live once.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:16 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
G S Palmer wrote:

I mean, it has gotten pretty bad lately. The page completely froze at least twice while I was trying to post my last comment and I had to rewrite it from scratch. Not to mention how it always jumps all over the place and often makes me end up clicking on an ad instead of a link. And it's not like I have some crap PC that freezes at anything; both my computers are pretty decent.
You can use Adblock Plus you know.

Didn't Adblock Plus start forcibly whitelisting advertisers that paid them a fee? I switched to uBlock Origins ever since.

Anyway, it's funny how ANN becomes a sea of white space once you remove ads.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:38 am Reply with quote
JeffreySweeney wrote:
Quote:
My time is precious to me and you only live once.

And yet you are willing to spend that time responding to others in this thread. Laughing
JeffreySweeney

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:44 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
And yet you are willing to spend that time responding to others in this thread. Laughing

Yea I know. It's sad isn't it? I guess I can't help but enjoy trying to correct the mistakes made by others, since some people are so blinded by the logic that constructive criticism isn't allowed, and if you're not just a yes man who agrees with everything, that it makes you ungrateful somehow. Hey guys, the leader of our country is a cruel dictator who goes around murdering innocent citizens who don't agree with him. I think what he's doing is wrong, but I better just be grateful for what I have. Disagreeing with that might upset the masses, and god forbid we can't have that in society! I'm just using that as a fictional example, but hopefully I've reached through to people sensible enough to understand without writing me off as being some ungrateful idiot. I'm done discussing this otherwise, because there's not anything else I need to say without completely derailing this thread anymore than it has been with complaints.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:48 am Reply with quote
Just to add my experience (this was before Zac edited it):

When I saw this article I immediately sent the link to a friend who I knew was curious about this very issue. After reading the article and realizing it didn't contain the answer I had to email them again and apologize and instead emailed them a link to the podcast (but I didn't know what time in the podcast they actually started talking about it).

My feelings went from "excited expectation" to "annoyed" when I finished the article and realized it didn't contain the story about what happened. I wasn't in a place to listen to a podcast, so I had to listen to it a few hours later at home.
I tried skipping around to find the portion where they actually talked about the incident but there was no indexing, so instead I left it on in the background... I never actually did find where they discuss it in the podcast. Honestly the way I finally learned the answer to the question posed by the article was the spoilered post above.
If you write an article about a mystery whose answer has been discovered, the explanation needs to be in the article, period, or it will just make the reader feel disappointed like I was.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:19 am Reply with quote
Who would have thought the question of who is Miami Mike would have excited such intense curiosity?
G S Palmer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:58 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Who would have thought the question of who is Miami Mike would have excited such intense curiosity?

Well, in my case, I didn't know anything about this, but the article got me interested. It was an interesting read, I was just disappointed to be left hanging at the end.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:10 pm Reply with quote
For me the business card shown in the article answered the big question. It showed who Miami Mike was. From that anyone who remembers that period could figure out the grievance. The spoilered post above just confirmed that answer.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:57 pm Reply with quote
JeffreySweeney wrote:
...the leader of our country...

Let's not go down that irrelevant track.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Urgh. This comment train is derailing fast. I am also not a fan of the article format, but @Zack, I have a suggestion in present and future sense:

If you think it is interesting information for us to learn, that is great. I trust you to judge that accuracy very well on this site, but lead us into it to a collaboration with Dawn (if she was or is now willing), and make that discussion part of the feature. Or report it as news, but don't send me to a third party to learn the resolution. It is interesting information, but as soon as I saw that link, my curiosity disappeared. IMHO, and this does not(!) bother me on an emotional level or indicate a personal attack, but this doesn't seem like the quality journalism I do expect from ANN. Now with the revision of the title, it is better, but in originality looks like an advertisement for an external appendage. This is the vibe I had reading and re-reading the article. My interest is now focused on the negative fallout more than learning the rest of the story, tied up in a comment chain for several minutes trying to type a response that sounds both sincere and constructive. Dawn fades in the background, and the original intention of the entire article is buried. There are plenty of good arguments or other good impressions here.

But if ya'll do want to end ads, become a subscriber. You can turn them off and support the site for more of the quality we have come to expect. Confused

Last edited by Usagi-kun on Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:10 am; edited 1 time in total
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:

Wherever there is a mystery that primeval 90's bootleg/convention fans shared, there will be someone to track it down.
If the fan ether could track down where that Saban Sailor Moon video came from, or What Happened to Anime Crash, tracking down the Miami Mike fansub mystery would be a piece of cake by comparison.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5