• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai Namco Rights Marketing Absorbs, Dissolves Anime Consortium Japan

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GeorgH

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Daisuki was closed in February, not October. They still had Dragon Ball Super running, until the simulcast was taken over by http://www.dbs-cardgame.com/
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Really says something how badly this whole thing was handled once Bandai took over fully IMO.

This should've been something better than it ended up being. I thought Daisuki was a better viewer than CR, Funi or TAN. The fact HD was free and just required you to sign up was great too. Title selection was wider than CR had at the time, especially if you were into older/niche shows. Plus first official English anything of Fafner: Right of Left.

GeorgH wrote:
Daisuki was closed in February, not October. They still had Dragon Ball Super running, until the simulcast was taken over by http://www.dbs-cardgame.com/

Most of the titles were removed in October. iirc, all it had running for that stretch was Super which they did state when they released the announcement that it would be closing.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Lynx Amali wrote:
Title selection was wider than CR had at the time, especially if you were into older/niche shows.

You have a different memory than I do on that point. I never recall Daisuki having anything close to more titles than CR. I don't remember them even rivaling The Anime Network in number of titles.

Daisuki launched in May 2013. In July of that same year, CR had 36 simulcast titles alone (i.e., not including catalog titles).
Compelled to Reply

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Lynx Amali wrote:
Really says something how badly this whole thing was handled once Bandai took over fully IMO.

Anime Consortium Japan was a trainwreck from the begining. It sounded good on paper, but couldn't compete with experienced heavyweights like Crunchyroll and Funimation, especially now that Sony acquired the latter. I assume the remaining noteworthy titles Daisuki streamed will be moved to CR sometime in the near future.

Is Bandai Namco keeping its share in this website? I consider it valuable for ANN to have an actual Japanese company on board when it comes to anime.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:47 pm Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:

You have a different memory than I do on that point. I never recall Daisuki having anything close to more titles than CR. I don't remember them even rivaling The Anime Network in number of titles.

Daisuki launched in May 2013. In July of that same year, CR had 36 simulcast titles alone (i.e., not including catalog titles).

Note how I specifically said if you were into older/niche stuff. Guess I should've specified what I meant by that. Stuff like L-Gaim, Xabungle, Iron Leaguer, etc. Stuff that until Daisuki happened, had 0 audience outside of fansubs and the like.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:44 am Reply with quote
Quote:
...it will absorb the Anime Consortium Japan (ACJ) company and dissolve it

This almost reads as if corporate entities possess fully functional digestive systems. It certainly makes for a curious mental image.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Lynx Amali wrote:

Note how I specifically said if you were into older/niche stuff.

Check your quote in my previous message. Saying "especially if" doesn't mean the same as saying "specifically".

Even if you had phrased it differently, are you factoring in the older library titles CR has garnered from Discotek? While many of those have been only acquired over the past few years, as I recall the titles you cited were also relatively recent to Daisuki, and unless I'm mistaken, available only to subscribers there.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1