• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Legends of VHS Fansubs: Who is Miami Mike?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
doomydoomdoom

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:26 pm Reply with quote
So, I began reading this article early this morning which was probably before the changes were made? I don't know. But I didn't look at the description in the article, I know that much. So I never would have known anyway when I finished reading this piece just an hour ago that this was actually an ad for the podcast. I was predictably miffed when I found out that it was all just an ad.

Having said that, I love the Anime Nostalgia podcast and I'm a big fan of what Dawn is doing. She's also active over at The Old School Otaku Forum which she moderates, and where I recently became a member. I cannot recommend both enough. Her podcasts are easygoing to listen to and it's fun to hear her shoot the shit with other old-school fans who reminisce about the first time they discovered YuYu Hakusho, Dragon Ball, Vampire Hunter D, Sci-Fi Channel's Saturday Anime block, and etc. She had a great conversation with Zac in last year's "Rumiko Talkahashi" ANNCast where they reminisced about, you guessed it, Rumiko Takahashi and the 90s era where her work was big in American fandom.

I was actually just checking the site a couple days ago to see if she had recorded a new episode and now she has. She's tackled a funny mystery in Dragon Ball\old fansub fandom and apparently solved it through one hell of a freak accident. Also, what manga did the card fall out of? :P I really miss AnimePast; I didn't know it started in 2010. I believe it went down for good in 2014, possibly 2015. I wish somebody had saved the Ramza interview and some other stuff. The same content was to be hosted at OldSchoolOtaku but that hasn't come to pass.

And having said THAT, I do believe that in the future ANN's reputation would benefit greatly from non-clickbait articles. I do really recommend people listen to the podcast though, it really is cool.

I know many have brought up deaf people here. Is there really that many deaf people seeking this out? I have experience in doing side work for an audio transcription outfit and if someone is DYING TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENS! I wouldn't be opposed to banging out a transcript... I also empathize with whoever said one of the things that suck about podcasts is that you're privy to a conversation you can't join in on. So if you're burning to add something to the discussion, too bad unless they've got a comments section and are reading.

Also, I too use AdBlock (sorry ANN and other good sites, and no you can't get me to stop, even if you block content until I whitelist which is what a lot of other stupid sites are doing and I don't go to them anymore). ANN does look funny with that recent design and a sea of white space surrounding it.
Tylerr

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:46 pm Reply with quote
What the heck is this crap? I don't come to this site to listen to podcasts.

Why don't you just add the answer into the article?
Fluwm

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Well... that was a waste of time. The article poses a question that it fails to answer, linking to a podcast that... drumroll... *also* fails to to answer.

So today we learned: Miami Mike was some guy in Florida; for some reason, a fansub group called Ctenosaur got pissed off at him.

Why?

Who knows.

But thanks for the random speculation from the guy who used to know Mike, and vaguely remembers Mike claiming ignorance about the grudge. It was... entertaining, I guess, even if not even at all informative.

If you really want to find out what the story is here, rather than Miami Mike, or any of his friends, the folks you need to speak to are the Ctenosaur people, which shouldn't be *too* hard to track down if they were present at all these conventions.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Fluwm wrote:

If you really want to find out what the story is here, rather than Miami Mike, or any of his friends, the folks you need to speak to are the Ctenosaur people, which shouldn't be *too* hard to track down if they were present at all these conventions.

Possibly of interest to anyone whose curiosity is still unsatiated.....
Scroll down to find the 6:04 video.
By the way, I cannot vouch for the accuracy of the video. Just sayin'.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:31 am Reply with quote
nobahn wrote:
Fluwm wrote:

Possibly of interest to anyone whose curiosity is still unsatiated.....
Scroll down to find the 6:04 video.
By the way, I cannot vouch for the accuracy of the video. Just sayin'.

To summarize the video, from what they remember Ctenosaur has two theories:
1.Mike tried to buy from them, got denied, sent his employees, got denied again and then sent his own customers.
2.Ctenosaur had the exclusive on a new title which they expected to make money on. The "noble" thief thing to do at the time was to wait until AFTER the con to sell bootleg copies but Miami Mike sent a lackey to buy a copy and then went and sold his own copies in the very same con, stealing potential sales from them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5