• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Re:CREATORS (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Galap

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:10 pm Reply with quote
I really liked this series a lot. Probably going to be anime of the year for 2017 for me, but we still have another season, so we'll see.

The fact that Sota's plan worked really speaks well to Sota's understanding of Setsuna, that Setsuna's reflection, Altair, accepted Sota's version of Setsuna.

The finale was really great. I'm really glad that Meteora chose to stay, and wanted to create something herself. That's what I had previously guessed she would want, and to me the biggest sign of goo characterization is when you come to know the characters well enough that you can predict what kinds of decisions they would make in certain situations. I really liked the sendoff that everyone else got too, Hikayu and Onishi, Kanoya, Blitz and Suruga, etc. Selesia and Alectaria's creators reactions to their deaths were great as well.

On the whole, I really liked the fact that this series was more talk than action, and that it went into the creations' and creators' interactions with themselves and each other as well as exploring the creative process and creative motivation. There were plenty of action scenes, and most of them were really good. I think this is the best example I've seen of a series that does this kind of clashes between larger than life personalities. And the creations' personalities were really interesting. I tend to like things that have a lot of really different kinds of characters, and Re:creators did this really well.

Usually I'm not the most fond of sequels, but this time I kind of hope that they do more with this franchise somehow. It feels like there's room for it (e.g. Magane is still out there, they never figured out exactly how the creations were able to come) Even more than a straight sequel, I kind of wish some of those series were real anime, because they seemed like they could be legitimately good. I would definitely be interested in watching Elemental Symphony of Vogelchevalier, Code Babylon and Monomagia for example. Maybe we could something like the Shirobako OVAs that's "episode 1" of some of these series.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:21 am Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
It was amusing they had been contemplating the nature that a "bad conclusion" that the audience wouldn't be able to accept it and just recently Kado was concluded in such an arbitrary unfulfilling fashion that myself couldn't believe the writers came up with such a solution considering the path the show seemed to be headed.

I just finished watching Kado and I had watched this show about a month ago and I was thinking about exactly that: this show basically spoofs Kado.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 6:41 am Reply with quote
Overall, this anime is good, but it has some significant drawbacks:

1. while the concept is interesting enough, it is nonsensical in this poor rendition: spoiler[if the evil witch wanted to destroy the world, then she would call to the real world only evil characters that want that in the first place]. But then there would be not story to tell, so she was made to be an imbecile that works against her own interest since the very beginning.

2. the main lad is written as incredibly annoying due to his petty mental psycho problems being put above situations that cause death of real people, which is not quite believable. And he is also making speeches with unbearable pathos. The authors did really try to make viewers hate the lad by the middle of the series.

3. small magical girl was made to be stupid, both in actions and her words, to create confusion out of nothing. "Misunderstanding" is the cheapest scenario cliché, a cardinal sin for scenarists in any school where the craft is taught.

4. the lancer lady is dumb beyond help. It is certainly possible for characters to be dumb, it is not an unrealistic thing, but it is frustrating to watch when this is made as a scenario vehicle for events to unfold.

All points showcase the issue of lazy writing.

Scenario editors should have dropped the pointed things as plot devices and think of something less stretched, more convincing, and not follow "so be it, good enough, they will eat it anyway" attitude.

As a result, the average ratings of the show deservingly lower than it could have been; too much of fake drama.

Finally, a minor point on the name: anime production studios love to mindlessly add nonsensical prefixes like "Re:" or suffixes like "Zero" to random works, and this one is just another example of that.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 4:13 pm Reply with quote
MaxSouth wrote:
1. while the concept is interesting enough, it is nonsensical in this poor rendition: spoiler[if the evil witch wanted to destroy the world, then she would call to the real world only evil characters that want that in the first place]. But then there would be not story to tell, so she was made to be an imbecile that works against her own interest since the very beginning.

If I remember properly, it wasn't like Altair could just go into any fiction and grab any character, at least to me I thought it was characters that meant something to her creator, Setsuna. Altair was a sort of a mess of a lot of Setsuna's feelings that were put into her, and tainted a lot by the anger for the pain that was caused to Setuna at the end.

The characters that came to the real world may be characters of particular note for the types of characters that Setsuna liked: the heroine of a fantasy mech LN, a quiet but helpful NPC in a game, a friendship focused magical girl, a tsundere anti-hero bad boy, A cute male mecha pilot, a badass lady knight, a caring father figure detective, and a manic psycho who just wants to have fun. My perception that these were all characters that informed us about Setsuna's deeper thoughts and interests. Even the safe version of an ero dating sim character. I saw the collection as that peek of Setsuna was, and so their conflict as like one of if she would have actually wanted what Altair was doing.

MaxSouth wrote:
2. the main lad is written as incredibly annoying due to his petty mental psycho problems being put above situations that cause death of real people, which is not quite believable. And he is also making speeches with unbearable pathos. The authors did really try to make viewers hate the lad by the middle of the series.

I don't even remember what this is about.

MaxSouth wrote:
3. small magical girl was made to be stupid, both in actions and her words, to create confusion out of nothing. "Misunderstanding" is the cheapest scenario cliché, a cardinal sin for scenarists in any school where the craft is taught.

4. the lancer lady is dumb beyond help. It is certainly possible for characters to be dumb, it is not an unrealistic thing, but it is frustrating to watch when this is made as a scenario vehicle for events to unfold.

They do come from totally different worlds, where reality itself works differently. Mamika's world is one where everything is simple, black and white, that everything can work out with friendship if she shows them the right simple way, and no one can get hurt. It starts breaking her mind when she sees that things don't work like her world, that she actually hurt someone, and also things where characters like Altair don't exist in her world, she she had to reassess that she might have been wrong with her simple views.

I believe Aliceteria comes from a world where such conflict is quite normal, and the only that can really be relied on is loyalty. And Altair played on that to manipulate her into the conflict.

Mamika was like Setsuna's sense of childish wonder an naivety. Aliceteria was when she already had the world tread on that, but still wanted to do right by those close to her. Both manipulated by Altair, who was where Setsuna had been pushed to the brink and felt hatred for a world that allowed that.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 1:22 am Reply with quote
The giant mecha lad character has not just a voice actress to voice him rather than an actor, but also the character of the voice is not boyish, which is an unfortunate choice. Thanks to this, the impression the character was making is that he is either transgender or transvestite (or a consequence of childhood trauma or a genetic illness).

Which would be actually more interesting if the authors have meant it this way, as these subjects are underexplored in anime due to LGBTs not existing in the culture outside a fringe subtype of otaku (similar to Korea, India, Russia and other countries like that). But this was just a voice actor selection mistake.

Another minor thing: fights in this anime go with an uplifting chorus song in the background and subtitles jumping around. This is too cliché, too cringy for some like myself.

Last edited by MaxSouth on Tue Mar 29, 2022 1:49 am; edited 2 times in total
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 1:35 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator

I was trying to avoid laying out all the details, as otherwise my post would have been giant. For some other shows, I was compiling as many as sixty points, or even more, to address specific issues (I tend to be obsessive-compulsive in dissecting every little thing, though I try to fight it).

But as a result of my relative brevity in this case, it is harder for commentators to see what I really meant in the points, sorry about that. But now I will try to clear out some things:

1. sadly, the world is not this coherent. The main evil witch has pulled even spoiler[hentai game characters into the real world], which were certainly not her creator's favourite. And a few other characters that were pulled did not differ from each other in a meaningful way to represent some distinct feelings of the lass. And other characters have appeared later, so the lass in question could not have known about them. But your thoughts are in the right direction, which means that if e.g. you would be an editor of the shows' script, it would have been better.

2. the part about the main lad not written convincingly is that he has lied about spoiler[his connection to the main witch story even though the situation in real world was already dire with real people being killed, and yet he was made to be still too ashamed to talk about his relationship with a lass that committed suicide.] This would work in a more peaceful setting but not in this case.

3. with the little magical girl and the lancer lady knight, I meant this: spoiler[Despite being able to talk, the magical girl has wasted her last moments on repeating the name of lady knight and telling a saw-teeth evil witch to tell things to the lady knight instead of just simply saying that the main evil witch is her killer, not the book-wielding good little witch. And the lancer lady knight was made dumb to believe into an obvious nonsense for a few more episodes.]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 3:23 am Reply with quote
MaxSouth wrote:
The giant mecha lad character has not just a voice actress to voice him rather than an actor, but also the character of the voice is not boyish, which is an unfortunate choice. Thanks to this, the impression the character was making is that he is either transgender or transvestite (or a consequence of childhood trauma or a genetic illness).

Which would be actually more interesting if the authors have meant it this way, as these subjects are underexplored in anime due to LGBTs not existing in the culture outside a fringe subtype of otaku (similar to Korea, India, Russia and other countries like that). But this was just a voice actor selection mistake.

I am kind of speechless. Firstly, a bunch of your language is really out of date. You should not use the term 'transvestite', especially to refer to a person. Also, referring to people as "LGBTs" is really strange, if you really must refer the entire Pride banner you are probably better saying '.queer people'. Otherwise I think you were referring trans people, so you can just say 'trans people' instead of just saying them as a bunch of letters.

I am a little afraid by what you mean by them not existing in the culture (Japan) outside of a fringe subtype of otaku. Trans people do exist in the Japan, you are being silly to say that it isn't.

And lastly, what even made you think that he is trans? Because you think his voice is more feminine than normal for the archetype? He sounded pretty normal for the type of young male character voice by a female voice actress. Totally unremarkable in that aspect unless someone was so affected by it being pointed out that they thought it was a problem.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 3:36 am Reply with quote
Not sure what is your "language police" attempt is about. There is nothing wrong with the term "LGBTs" and "transvestite", which means a person who likes to wear clothes of an opposite gender (and it has nothing to do with anything queer, since it is not related to gender identity or sexual preference). I am not sure how do you even call this phenomenon in any other way.

And I am also surprised that you do not know that in the countries I listed, the LGBTs are in effect invisible in society, including culture which has a de-facto/silent ban on depicting them aside of using them as a joke (like in manga/anime One Piece) or, specifically in Japan, in a fringe subgenre's anime/manga. These countries are like thirty years behind the Western culture in this regard.

Last edited by MaxSouth on Tue Mar 29, 2022 3:40 am; edited 4 times in total
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 3:37 am Reply with quote
MaxSouth wrote:

1. sadly, the world is not this coherent. The main evil witch has pulled even spoiler[hentai game characters into the real world], which were certainly not her creator's favourite. And a few other characters that were pulled did not differ from each other in a meaningful way to represent some distinct feelings of the lass. And other characters have appeared later, so the lass in question could not have known about them. But your thoughts are in the right direction, which means that if e.g. you would be an editor of the shows' script, it would have been better.

Except she wasn't a hentai character, she was the safe version, despite the hentai game version being the original. She even freaked out when finding out what her alternate character is like. I wouldn't be that strange for a teenage girl to have looked into her game.

MaxSouth wrote:
2. the part about the main lad not written convincingly is that he has lied about spoiler[his connection to the main witch story even though the situation in real world was already dire with real people being killed, and yet he was made to be still too ashamed to talk about his relationship with a lass that committed suicide.] This would work in a more peaceful setting but not in this case.

He was an angsty teenager who thought that he was responsible for his friend's suicide, just because thought that he didn't want to bother himself. He hated himself for it, and he thought that it would make everyone else hate him too. Teenagers can be dumb, and see things like a threat to their relationships as something like the end of the world.

MaxSouth wrote:
3. with the little magical girl and the lancer lady knight, I meant this: spoiler[Despite being able to talk, the magical girl has wasted her last moments on repeating the name of lady knight and telling a saw-teeth evil witch to tell things to the lady knight instead of just simply saying that the main evil witch is her killer, not the book-wielding good little witch. And the lancer lady knight was made dumb to believe into an obvious nonsense for a few more episodes.]

Who knew, in her moment of dying a young girl was more concerned over getting her feelings to her best friend, rather than being able to think clearly for what might be the logical way to use her limited time to warn of some plot. As part of her core character Mamika cared more about feelings than things like actual safety, it isn't weird that she would be more concerned saying she cared for the person that made her feel best in the new world.

Also, tropes. You can hate the use for more drama, but they don't inherently just make something illogical because characters are not acting the way that the audience might want them to.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9