• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(The) Ryuo's Work is Never Done! (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:15 am Reply with quote
I wouldn't really call Ginko's feelings on the gap of male and female players "acceptance" per se. While she does acknowledge the divide, she doesn't merely shrug and go "oh well", she strives to attain the level of strength and insight necessary to get up to their level, so she isn't left behind and can close the gap, although I also having a feeling part of that stems from her rivalry with Yaichi. I think those aspirations are pretty respectable. Keika doesn't care quite as much as being strong as Ginko does, but she doesn't want to be weak either, because she's still got her own dreams and she's still more than passionate about seeing them through. Even after losing to Ai, she doesn't let go of either simply because she loves shogi so much.

But yeah, a really great episode and I do really feel like the show got unfairly dismissed for a few admittedly problematic elements when shows like Made in Abyss get praised despite being equally as problematic.
Cam0

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:37 pm Reply with quote
I caught up with this show that was unjustifiably disregarded as horrible and disgusting when its first episode aired. I feel like it has some of those trashy LN show elements that cause people who don't like these lame LN shows to have a gag reaction to it. Like a bunch of the female characters seem to be romantically interested in the (bland) main character. Some of them get extremely jealous when they get even a whiff of Yaichi being around other girls. And obviously there are the lolis. None of these elements particularly bother me, but it does make the show feel more like your avarage LN fare instead of something greater, I guess.

Anyway I've liked the show so far well enough. The show does a decent enough job at making the shogi matches intense and seems to be kinda aware that some of its viewers probably don't understand what's going on. So it's a lot of: "I'll move my piece here and BLAM!" followed by "*gasp* Great move!"

I'll give a small shout-out to that female comment writer/reporter who had a tendency to make the comments seem like erotic fiction. I found her hilarious, hope we'll see her again.
Sunny milk

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:19 pm Reply with quote
It is indeed horrible.
The LN is actually very specific about the shogi itself, goes in full details, and even if for nothing else, it's enjoyable for people who want a look inside of a pro shogi player's world.
Whereas in the anime, it is indeed the "BLAM!-*gasp*" dynamics that go into the matches, making the main point of it basically worthless, the drama is just teen whining, and even as a lolicon, I can say that the lolis are the worst and more useless part of the series too, they're just decoration, but not even worthy of that, since we don't even get fanservice of them, despite the show disgustingly going out their way and play a very heavy sexualization with Ginko last episode.
No, this series, in animated format is just horrible, and fails in every aspect.
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:44 pm Reply with quote
>thinking animation can get away with going into full detail about every move the players make without slowing the pace to a baby's crawl in the process

A novel can do that without any problems, an anime has other things to keep in mind.
Sunny milk

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:54 pm Reply with quote
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings wrote:
>thinking animation can get away with going into full detail about every move the players make without slowing the pace to a baby's crawl in the process

A novel can do that without any problems, an anime has other things to keep in mind.

The problem is, by cutting it down to this extent it becomes worthless, and that's really the only thing it shines in.
The loli aspect is just plain horrible, and the protag guy is pathetic without his game knowledge being shown a bit more.
Cam0

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Episode 12

It's over. I was kinda indifferent to this final shogi match. It's kinda difficult to care a whole lot when I have no idea what's going on. That's a problem I kinda had with the show in general. While the show did a decent enough job of conveying who was winning through character reactions and dialogue it was still difficult to get invested into those matches. The episode focusing on Keika was probably the one I enjoyed the most. She was probably the most interesting character. Anyway it was still a decently enjoyable show.

P.S. Did Yaichi and Ai get married in the previous episode?

P.P.S Yaichi still hasn't apologized to Ginko.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:55 pm Reply with quote
And done. I did not dislike the show. No bones about it, this show will totally get compared to March Comes in Like a Lion, and I have to keep that I still prefer that show. I have said it before, but I do have guilty pleasures with these type of "loli" shows, but even I found some aspects of this show a little uncomfortable, even if it was not throwing nudity around, it was maybe a bit of that marriage thing. At the very least, that was not all that the show was about. And I do think that yandere Ai was funny.

I go for a rating of Good (7/10), it is worth seeing.
Sunny milk

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:17 pm Reply with quote
By the way, this is not a "loli" show, and no, they didn't get married whatsoever.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2