• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(The) Ancient Magus' Bride (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:53 am Reply with quote

Without reading the source material, I can sense that this arc will be the final one for this animated adaptation. Events have progressed considerably since last week's dramatic turn and the obstacle Chise and Elias face is not something they can overcome on their own.

Interesting how Lindel is resigned to Chise succumbing to the curse, just as a witch's coven chooses the auction as an opportunity to recruit a new member with the promise of removing a curse as part of the package. Looking at Elias's reaction to the invitation, it's clear his branch of magic is different from the one Mariel practises and the two do not seem to be on good terms.

The series is not a fairy tale, so there will probably not be a happy ending to this nor am I expecting one. The Caterphilus loose end has yet to be resolved as well taking his throwaway comment at the end into account. I don't think Ash Eye has left the stage completely either. Regardless, it looks like it's going to be thoroughly entertaining no matter the outcome.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Chise's "wow" when she saw her dragon arm cracked me up.

And obviously there's something going on with Chise's little friend... I wonder what that's about. Getting a little bummed that we are coming to the end of the anime. I hope and trust there will be more in the future.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Chise's "wow" when she saw her dragon arm cracked me up.

I had to play it back a few times because it was so good.
Cam0

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:31 am Reply with quote
Honestly when this show started I thought it was decent, but I wasn't connecting with it as much as everyone else seemed to. But after every episode I started getting into this show more and more. There's something so interesting about this anime's world. It's so mysterious and wondrous. Magic in this world is so vague, but that makes it so interesting.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:53 am Reply with quote
Glad you finally see the value in the show that we ALL picked up on WAY before you, slowpoke. Wink
Cam0

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Just now I also realized that I really like Ruth. He is so loyal to Chise and never leaves her side. I like the little things like when someone suspicious approaches Chise then Ruth comes out and growls at them. Or how this episode he held on to Chise's legs so that Chise wouldn't fall from a gust of wind. Who wouldn't want such a thoughtful and loyal companion?
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:33 pm Reply with quote

Looks like relationships between the main characters have hit a significant complication. As much as Chise wanted both of them to work through the crisis together, time pressure and Elias's different thought and emotional processes meant that was always going to be a non-starter. Elias's decision in this episode does mark a watershed for his characterisation, I would never have expected him to do something like that if he was still the same person he was at the start of the series.

Cartaphilus has been waiting in the wings precisely for an opportunity like this. He's now got everything he wants so it's up to Chise to decide if she'll end up being his permanent cure (and possibly Chimera candidate). Based on next week's trailer, someone is either playing mind tricks or viewers are going to get a long-awaited insight into Chise's family prior to the event which sundered them permanently.

End of the month is the scheduled air-date for the series finale, so there's not much air-time left for the series to close off this final and crucial story arc.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:26 pm Reply with quote
I'm kind of surprised that Elias was not able to sense that Stella had been possessed by Cartaphilus. Chise was able to do so when she finally touched Stella, something that Elias had done earlier.

Anyway, yes, this is largest breech in the Elias-Chise relationship to date and it is hard to see how Chise forgives Monster Child for this one. That he was willing to sacrifice (what seemed like) an innocent child-age friend of Chise's is really beyond the pale. If he is too stupid/incapable of understanding why Chise would never find that acceptable, I don't really know what to say.

I'm also a little surprised/disappointed in Ruth. The show has already posited that Elias is a non-human entity seemingly incapable of understanding human emotions... or at least not without substantial "teaching" from a human like Chise. You'd think Ruth would have a little more on the ball. I guess, however, the idea being conveyed is that a canine's sense of loyalty to its master - and the master's physical survival - trumps all.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Elias' plan to sacrifice Chise's friend is quite a dark twist. Scary, but it causes the story to go to an interesting direction so I love it. Ruth going along with Elias' plan was a bit surprising but in hindsight it does make sense to me. Chise gave Ruth a purpose. The pact they formed caused their lives to be tied to one another if I remember correctly. So if Chise were to die, Ruth would die too. Now I don't think Ruth is trying to save his own life, but protecting Chise is his sole purpose so doing whatever necessary to protect Chise makes sense to me.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, it makes sense, but it's also depressing. It means that their relationship can only be pretty superficial if Ruth can't figure out something incredibly basic like Chise being horrified at the thought of an innocent person sacrificed to keep her alive. What does Ruth think would happen after that? That Chise would rub his head and suggest a rousing game of fetch?
Cam0

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:35 pm Reply with quote
For Ruth it might simply be that whatever comes after is better than a dead Chise. Ruth's actions (and Elias') are definitely a huge breach of trust. And I'm interested in seeing what kind of consequences they'll have and what kind of emotional scenes they'll lead to. Well, we already saw some of that this episode when Chise punched skull face in the... face. It was a really powerful scene and it showed really well how furious and hurt Chise was. Just the kind of emotional scene I craved for.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:43 pm Reply with quote

Although this week is ostensibly about the events leading up to the disintegration of the Hatori family unit, it's presented in a manner which appears to be targeted at maximum discomfort for the viewer. Although not unexpected since it's been telegraphed over the last two weeks in various ways, it's still tough to watch.

Chise's memories being what they are, viewers are not expected to gain a complete understanding of what really happened. In a way it's both sad and surprising that the family unit simply collapsed since the parents seemed to be holding it together until accumulated stress took its toll (along with some kind of dangerous supernatural predator which even the father wasn't able to drive off permanently by the looks of things).

Chise being able to overcome her long-standing trauma is probably the least surprising aspect of this week, but it only begs more questions when viewers get to the final scene. Cartaphilus's gift/curse has a long history which should be touched on next week, while it appears Elias has gone off the rails since Chise chose to abandon him.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:08 pm Reply with quote

As capricious as Titania and Oberon are, they do have the best intentions of Elias and Chise at heart (as far as they're concerned). I don't think the pair would have minded at all if the initial scheme had succeeded, but seeing Elias regain control and renewing his determination was probably second prize.

So the truth about Joseph/Cartaphilus is out after this episode. Whoever the mysterious being is, it's probably irrelevant since the "host" has been suffering for over a millennia and Chise is probably the only person who can do something about it. Whether or not the solution will lead to a mending of fences between Elias + Ruth with Chise is up for debate. I expect some kind of non-tragic ending, but am not sure what direction it will take bearing in mind this is not a complete adaptation.

As an aside, the animators are planning a special air-date this coming Friday at 1930 JST. The usual air-date on Saturday mornings is still on, but the early one-off broadcast is most likely to commemorate the series finale and give the Japan fans something to cheer about.
rinmackie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:44 pm Reply with quote
I'm watching the dub so I haven't seen all the latest episodes but I did read the latest volume of the manga. I admit, I'm totally torn. I liked Chise and Elias' relationship but in hindsight the warning signs that all would not remain well were there. However, I did realize one thing that as for as I can tell, no one else noticed. It was that witch who wanted Chise to join the coven, who's also to blame. She really wanted Chise to join the coven, but she told them that even if she were cured, she'd stay with Elias. So the witch (can't remember her exact name) gave Elias the information about exchanging a life for a life. She even told one of the other witches, "He'll do it, he's not human." Of course, she figured Chise would get mad when she found out and break up with Elias. And then, she could Chise to join the coven. Though I don't think she factored in Joseph showing up.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:18 am Reply with quote
#24 End

A unique OP animation for the finale as well as the vocalised version of the series's main theme to close things off (possibly for now as the series is still ongoing in its printed format).

I don't think the outcome was ever going to be in doubt, but the process which got everyone to where they finished up wasn't predictable. Considering the Big Problem facing Chise in this arc, the solution provided is a logical one. For the rest of the loose ends, Magic in its various forms is a convenient tool in this series as an all-purpose fixer.

I didn't think there would be an in-series reference to the series title, but viewers get it at the end. A charming scene regardless of what one might perceive of the relationship between the titular protagonists.

It's been an entertaining watch over the last half year. The final few episodes plumbed the depths but everything still came out of the tunnel in the best possible shape. There's much more of the series universe to explore and it doesn't seem like the series is losing any momentum at the present. Here's to more of this series, hopefully in the near rather than far future.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 13